• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

Going to be in downtown for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Would prefer walking distance to the Westin at Peachtree Plaza. Any suggestions?

Going to be in downtown for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Would prefer walking distance to the Westin at Peachtree Plaza. Any suggestions?

The Willy's at Peachtree Center used to serve breakfast burritos. Nom.

Suggestions for someone moving to Atlanta to go to Emory for grad school/work? Places to live for a young person?

No clue on breakfast and you're probably past that in any event. There are some decent places within walking distance of the Westin (I work right across the street) for lunch, but they are not particularly great or standout restaurants by any means (none of those in walking distance or really downtown at all). In any event, Alma Cocina is a Mexican place across the street in the 191 Building (more upscale than your typical #8 combo type Mexican joint), White Oak Kitchen is two blocks north on Peachtree (don't get the BBQ - it's not good, but other lunch sandwiches and salads are), Atlanta Grill is in the Ritz across the street (overpriced, but not as bad at lunch), the Terrace is in the Ellis Hotel at Ellis & Peachtree (farm to table concept - good salads and sandwiches), there's a Ted's Montana Grill at Luckie and Spring (chain, I know, but you may see Ted eating in there). Sorry I don't have more - I really don't go out to lunch near the office all that often (and when I do, I'm more likely to just grab something from the Peachtree Center food court) since there are so many better options if you leave downtown.

Suggestions for someone moving to Atlanta to go to Emory for grad school/work? Places to live for a young person?

Live in Virginia Highlands - easy drive/bike to Emory; lots of shops, bars and restaurants.

Is the new Minero by the Murder Kroger open yet?

Pros and cons of Little Five Points, N. Decatur, Inman Park, Candler Park, East Atlanta Village, Virginia Highlands?

Thanks for the help, all.

How old is this person? What do they like? All the areas you listed have pretty different scenes. From Tatted up meth heads to hipsters to popped collar prepsters.

How old is this person? What do they like? All the areas you listed have pretty different scenes. From Tatted up meth heads to hipsters to popped collar prepsters.

I guess i have assumed that this was a personal question for townie.

Pros and cons of Little Five Points, N. Decatur, Inman Park, Candler Park, East Atlanta Village, Virginia Highlands?

Thanks for the help, all.

Little 5 Points and VH both have a central neighborhood hub with cool places to hang. VH is probably a little more yuppie than L5P; L5P is definitely where you'd find more people with 40,000 albums in their itunes collection. The others are more residential if memory serves.

23, music, coffee, bars.

Unless trustafarian, I am guessing financially challenged also fits here due to age and grad school.

N. Decatur: this where Emory is, but sort of a nebulous hood. There are some like student restos, pita huts, bars, pizza joints, and stuff like that around campus, but nothing to write home about. Most of the housing in this hood are large old driving miss daisy houses, but there is some crappy student apartments as well as some higher end Post apt stuff depending on what part of the hood you are in. Not super walkable either. Really only reason to live here would be no car, or need to be right next to campus. More or less a safe hood, depending on the part.

L5P: Former edgy hood that used to be hipster central in ATL 10 years ago. Now it is much more gentrified. Mostly residential homes but still some cheap small (20-30 units) apt and loft places. Probably the 2nd cheapest hood you mentioned. Pretty walkable and even though gentrified, it still holds on to its hipster roots with craft beer bars, an AmAppy, burrito places, and a few music venues. Also not that close to campus. Probably a 10-15min drive to Emory. I had some friends that lived in this place when they were at SCAD http://basslofts.com/ Also has a huge perk in Candler Park. More or less safe, but there is a homeless contingent and there is some scattered crime at night and in the park.

VA/HI: I live on one end of this hood. It is totally gentrified, so renting is probably going to be the most expensive here of all the hoods you listed, but there are some carriage houses and small apt complexes that are still affordable. Two main hubs, the intersection of Virginia and Highland and Highland and Ponce, that are super walkable and tons of restos, bars, coffee, bike shops etc etc. Probably about a 8-10 minute drive to Emory. Definitely also the safest of the hoods you mentioned, although there are occasional car break ins near Ponce.

EAV: This is hipster/crustie/gutterpunk/trap DJ captial of the A. It has the best music venues and lots of cool bars and edgier restos. Everything here is pretty cheap. The downside is that it is straight ghetto once you get outside of the 4-5 blocks that make up the village of bars and restos. Crime is a fairly large and consistent problem here, with stickup boys sometimes preying on hipsters brave/dumb enough to walk home from the village at night after the bars close. There are no real apartment complexes, but lots of cheap houses to rent. You could definitely get a whole house here for what it would cost you to rent a 2BR in other neighborhoods I mentioned. Also, not close to Emory. Probably 20+ minute drive. One of ATL's only Cookouts is also close, if you can survive the trip. My rec would be to take a 10 minute cab here when there is a good band at the Earl or 529, and live somewhere else.

Inman Park: Rapidly gentrifying hood just south of VA/HI. Would have been a steal 4 years ago, but now filled with mid to high end apartments. Good walkability, fairly safe, will have the most apt inventory. Probably still some options that are affordable but rents are increasing. Doesnt really have an identity yet, mix of low end bars and high end yuppie joints. Probably 15 mins to Emory. Biggest asset is access to beltline, which gives a quick bike ride to all these intown hoods.

Last edited:
Back