• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

Not electric, but I ordered a car for my wife last summer. The ETA was February so it was like 7 month wait. I was getting service on my car about a month ago at the same dealership so I stopped by the salesman's office to check on the status since it should have been about time for it to arrive. He looked on his computer then kind of blew me off and said well his boss has that info and wasn't in so he would call me tomorrow. A week goes by and I didnt hear anything so I called back and he sort of punted me again. The next day the manager calls me and says "Your salesman forgot to order your car back in the summer so you don't have a car coming." Nice. We have bought 6 cars there now all in a row. He was super apologetic and I am just chill by nature so I just said ok when can I get one and I think maybe you should push me to the front of the order line. So now I have one coming in May. Forgot? Damn it

Sat in one but didn't take it for a ride. I'm 6'2" and fit fine. It's much closer to being a legit SUV size than other EV's i've seen claim it (especially the Mustang, that thing is way closer to a sedan than an SUV).

I'm on it -- haven't heard a peep though. They're super slow/behind on production.
Oh really? I called a few weeks ago and they told me the waitlist for 2024 isn't even open yet. The guy called me yesterday and said he can maybe get me a 2023 shipped from Vegas but I wouldn't have any say on color or trim. Probably just going to wait a year.

Oh really? I called a few weeks ago and they told me the waitlist for 2024 isn't even open yet. The guy called me yesterday and said he can maybe get me a 2023 shipped from Vegas but I wouldn't have any say on color or trim. Probably just going to wait a year.
Put down $100 and got a pre-order confirmation #. May be for 2023 and pushed to 2024. Actually doesn't say in the confirmation email. Maybe I just sent some rando $100.

Mid-priced cars and crossovers: ICE vehicles were also more affordable to fuel in this segment, at approximately $11.08 per 100 miles. This cost is lower than that for primarily home EV charging ($12.62) and for mostly commercial EV charging ($16.10).

My experience is nowhere close to that.

My electricity bill this month (I live in Mecklenburg County) is $307.18 for 2,339 kWh, or just over $0.13 per kWh all in. My EV battery is 75 kWh, which puts a full charge (nearly 300 miles) at $9.85, or $3.28 per 100 miles assuming no loss.

My EV fee in my 2023 registration was $140.25, or $1.17 per 100 miles. So now I'm up to $4.45 per 100 miles.

I am currently only using L1 because we moved recently and am working primarily from home, so haven't yet needed to install an L2 in the new home, so my installation costs was exactly $0. But in our prior home, the L2 receptacle+installation was about $300 -- which over 5 years at 12,000 miles/year would be $0.50 per 100 miles which takes me up to $4.95 per 100 miles -- which is less than 40% of their figure.

Worst case scenario, a Tesla Wall Connector is listed right now at $475, most other EV chargers at Lowe's are far less, and an L2 receptacle could be had for $10 at Lowes. An electrician would of course have to install any of the above, and that can vary based on the location of the breaker box and how much line/conduit needs to be run. A Tesla Wall Connector would add $0.79 per 100 miles, which means installation would need to be $4,428 to make up the remainder of their figure -- which is absolutely insane in most circumstances.

Again, it varies based on electricity rates, installation, fees, and the home charging method -- but my EV is less than half the cost of their ICE figure.

And you really don’t even need a L2 charger if it’s just your commuter car. I haven’t needed one yet after 2.5 years

Same here. In most parts of the country you have to try pretty hard to make fueling your EV cost more than fueling a gas vehicle. If you only charge at level 3 stations or you only charge at home during peak electricity rates, then sure.

I didn't realize the study that Biff linked was from a fake think tank. That makes their numbers make a lot more sense because they are intentionally skewing the results.

Here's one example of how. They use the phrase “Mostly Home Charging” to describe their best case for EV charging. But what do they mean by "Mostly Home Charging"?

They state:
“Mostly Home Charging” scenario implies 75% of the monthly charging sessions (not the charge added to a battery) were using a residential L2 charger. The remaining 25% were at a commercial charging station.

This is an asinine way to describe "mostly home charging". In reality, if you can charge at home, the only time you will charge at a commercial charger is on a road trip. Therefore, it's probably closer to a maximum of 1% of your charging sessions. On the other hand, if you cannot charge at home, then their "mostly commercial charging" (75/25 split toward commercial) category also makes no sense because you will not get to charge at home 25% of the time.

So, my truck has the dreaded Hemi tick, so I'm looking to trade it in. I'd love to get a 1-2 yr old PEHV SUV. Anyone have one they'd recommend?

So, my truck has the dreaded Hemi tick, so I'm looking to trade it in. I'd love to get a 1-2 yr old PEHV SUV. Anyone have one they'd recommend?
toyota rav4 prime is basically the only PHEV SUV worth a damn

Volvo has some that are good cars but not much range on the batteries.

Back