• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATTORNEY GENERAL JEFF SESSIONS

Not a fan of Sessions, but feel obligated to offer a more balanced article about his 1986 nomination:
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/20/us/senator-urges-withdrawal-of-judicial-nomination.html

..."At a Judiciary Committee hearing today, several people came forward to endorse the Mr. Session's nomination, including many who said they had known Mr. Sessions for years and believed him to be without bigotry. 'Untainted by Prejudice'

Among them was Larry D. Thompson, the former United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, who is black. Mr. Thompson described Mr. Sessions and ''a good man and an honest man, untainted by prejudice.''

''I have experienced racism all my life. Yet I know Jeff Sessions - not as a symbol, not just as a colleague - but as a man and a friend,'' Mr. Thompson added. ''He will serve our nation well as a United States District Court judge.''...

That's a 1985 article. Since then, he has opposed the Voters Rights Act each time it came up for a vote. As you can see above, he said clerking and working for Thurgood Marshall was a disqualifying act to sit on the Supreme Court.

He said this:

https://theboeskool.com/2016/11/18/how-to-keep-jeff-sessions-from-becoming-attorney-general/'

"He called the NAACP and the ACLU (as well as the Southern Christian Leadership Conference) “Un-American” and “communist-inspired,” and he accused them of trying to “force civil rights down the throats of people who were trying to put problems behind them.”

His position on immigration is extreme.

He's against the settled law of birthright citizenship.

He supported and promoted a constitutional banning marriage equality.

He opposed re-authorizing the Violence Against Women Act.

He opposed ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Hell, even the father of the new conservatism, Barry Goldwater famously said, "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight."

He opposed the Matthew Shepherd Act.

This guy shouldn't be allowed to visit the DOJ Building much less run it.

His attacks on the VRA are dripping with racism. He even charged and tried Selma's two leaders of voter registration and lost.

Only extremists oppose birthright citizenship.

His position on Thurgood Marshall this decade shows his concept of race as well.

As I said earlier, I expect a conservative to be AG, just not this one.

That's a 1985 article. Since then, he has opposed the Voters Rights Act each time it came up for a vote. As you can see above, he said clerking and working for Thurgood Marshall was a disqualifying act to sit on the Supreme Court.

He said this:

https://theboeskool.com/2016/11/18/how-to-keep-jeff-sessions-from-becoming-attorney-general/'

"He called the NAACP and the ACLU (as well as the Southern Christian Leadership Conference) “Un-American” and “communist-inspired,” and he accused them of trying to “force civil rights down the throats of people who were trying to put problems behind them.”

His position on immigration is extreme.

He's against the settled law of birthright citizenship.

He supported and promoted a constitutional banning marriage equality.

He opposed re-authorizing the Violence Against Women Act.

He opposed ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Hell, even the father of the new conservatism, Barry Goldwater famously said, "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight."

He opposed the Matthew Shepherd Act.

This guy shouldn't be allowed to visit the DOJ Building much less run it.

rj, the link article I linked is from 1986, not 1985. It was written during the Judiciary Committee's hearings, which I suggest is a better source than hit pieces written 30 years after the fact. Your linked article contains some of the same accusations noted in the link two posts above mine (and also in my link).

Why do I say hit pieces?...because they claim he said things that really are accusations made by a couple of people. The article I linked correctly notes that they come from testimony/letters, not verifiable audio, video or minutes. In my world, articles which use quotation marks to suggest that they are direct quotes from Sessions (when they are not), aren't worth a barrel of warm spit.

Senator Sessions should certainly be questioned on the accusations and his voting record. I look forward to hearing how he responds to these, and other questions. I will then form an opinion on the merits of his nomination.

Again, I'm not a fan of Sessions - but I understand that opinions change over time (Robert Byrd, for example), partisans and ex-employees sometimes have an ax to grind, and politicians say shit to get elected. You might remember that Hillary and Obama said they opposed gay marriage in 2008.

my bad on the typo...but he hasn't changed over time.

You complain about me not reading what you or others post. Why don't you read what he said about Kagan's working for one of the giant's US juris prudence, Thurgood Marshall. Sessions said that in 2010.

You complain about me not reading what you or others post. Why don't you read what he said about Kagan's working for one of the giant's US juris prudence, Thurgood Marshall. Sessions said that in 2010.

I didn't complain about you not reading a post, just pointed out that some of the stuff was the same stuff

What about Bill & Hillary opposing gay marriage in 2008....when Bill had already been president & Hillary was running for the position? Did you overlook that part of 71's post? You seem to only see what you want to see and block out everything else.

Except Sessions supported closing DMVs in predominantly black counties to make it harder for residents to get acceptable IDs to vote this year. He is still opposed to AA and other civil rights measures.

As I showed earlier, he still opposes marriage equality, gays in the military and other rights for gay people.

I've said multiple times that I expect a conservative to be AG, but not Jeff Sessions.

Except Sessions supported closing DMVs in predominantly black counties to make it harder for residents to get acceptable IDs to vote this year. He is still opposed to AA and other civil rights measures.

As I showed earlier, he still opposes marriage equality, gays in the military and other rights for gay people.

I've said multiple times that I expect a conservative to be AG, but not Jeff Sessions.

What about Bill & Hillary opposing gay marriage in 2008....when Bill had already been president & Hillary was running for the position? Did you overlook that part of 71's post? You seem to only see what you want to see and block out everything else.

At least they supported civil unions. Sessions supported voter suppression still.

Sessions has a 40+ year, unabated record of trying to deny black people their right to vote. An AG cannot have that record.

Last edited:
At least they supported civil unions. Sessions supported voter suppression still.

Sessions has a 40+ year, unabated record of trying to deny black people their right to vote. An AG cannot have that record.

I don't understand what Jeff Sessions has to do with Bill & Hillary Clinton opposing gay marriage.

In order to save some time here, why don't you give President-Elect Trump a list of potential nominees that would be acceptable to you.

In order to save some time here, why don't you give President-Elect Trump a list of potential nominees that would be acceptable to you.

I've named a bunch of Republicans on this and other threads. But a guy whose 30++ year career has had black voter suppression throughout its entirety has no business being AG.

Who are the three GOP Senators who would oppose Sessions' nomination? Portman, Collins, and Rand are maybes. Think Pompeo is less likely to be confirmed (McCain, Graham, and Rand) than Sessions.

Collins, Rand, McCain, Portman, Flake (really doesn't like Trump), Murkowski (can do whatever she wants. She doesn't owe anyone and will likely never lose again) and outside chance is Thune as he's in for life as well.

What do Bill & Hillary have to do with Sessions being AG?

Nothing. That was my point. I asked you about Bill & Hillary opposing gay marriage and you responded by saying they supported civil unions and then mentioned Sessions' civil rights history. I didn't ask you anything about Sessions.

ETA: Are you still holding to your prediction that Hillary is going to get 340+ EVs?

Back