• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

August 6, 2015 Debate(s?) -- OFFICIALY OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD. CLICK HERE NOW!

GOP needed to weed out Bachmann, Cain, and Santorum in 2012 and they need to weed out Trump, Carson, Cruz, and Huckabee now. Wingnuts have marginalized the party since 1992. They've got to go and can't believe it's gone on for so long.

I don't disagree... But the problem is that that "wingnuts" that support Trump are different "wingnuts" than those who support Huckabee. And while Huckabee, Cruz, and Walker may be similar in their conservatism... I think there are nuanced "wingnut" supporters for all 3 (religion vs tea party vs donks).

lol calling someone out for hugging a sitting president is a HUGE HAYMAKER lool

U disagree? I didn't say whether I agreed with the attempt, but Paul was going for the KO. Obama is toxic to republicans. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant to reality.

You are getting a little obsessive townie. Calm down. I'm not a very important person. No need to stalk me and try to bicker.

Exactly. Nate Silver breaks down the Tunnels' favorite liberal myth.

I'd rank last night's performances something like this:

Rubio- Smooth, obviously well-prepared, gave good answers. Didn't like the dodge on the rape/mother's life abortion exception, but that won't hurt him with the base any.

Kasich- Thought his answers were the best, but he doesn't look as presidential as some of the others.

Christie- Shouldn't have gotten into it with Paul, but the SS answer might have been the best of the night.

Walker- Looks like a dweeb, but I was hoping he would self-destruct and he didn't. The Iran answer was one of the dumbest of the debate, but won't hurt him with the base any.

Bush- Started out weak, but got better as the night went on.

Trump- "Clown" seemed to be the consensus among friends who watched

Paul- Major disappointment. Too combative, and called himself a "different kind of Republican" after saying the exact same things as the rest all night.

Huckabee- Just drop out already

Cruz- Looks like one of the Little Rascals. I can picture him wearing overalls and a straw hat going around painting fences, or whatever the hell the Little Rascals did.

Carson- Clueless

Ultimately, I don't see anyone on stage last night winning the general election.

Great summary. Pretty much my take.

Also - I thought the "God question" at the end was ridiculous. Terrible choice to end the debate.

I don't disagree... But the problem is that that "wingnuts" that support Trump are different "wingnuts" than those who support Huckabee. And while Huckabee, Cruz, and Walker may be similar in their conservatism... I think there are nuanced "wingnut" supporters for all 3 (religion vs tea party vs donks).

Will any of these 3 groups support Bush, Christie or Kasich or will they just say fuck it again?

Remember when Huckabee said the purpose of the military is to kill people and break things?

Edit: Remember when Trump said he would build a wall at the border, but have a door so nice people could come in?

Last edited:
U disagree? I didn't say whether I agreed with the attempt, but Paul was going for the KO. Obama is toxic to republicans. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant to reality.

You are getting a little obsessive townie. Calm down. I'm not a very important person. No need to stalk me and try to bicker.

i was saying it's really sad if that's a HAYMAKER

not policy or substance

I don't think there is enough moderate support in the Republican party for Bush, Christie, and Kasich to all stay in the race Lfor the long haul. I'd like to be wrong on that, because I think any of them would have a decent shot to beat Hillary. Worried that Bush has too much financial support for Christie or Kasich to make any kind of run... And he's probably my least favorite of the 3.

Jeb was extremely unimpressive in the debate, but strong performances by Kasich and Christie helped him. Trump rather than Jeb got swarmed. If there are three (relative) moderates in the field, Jeb alone can't get completely swarmed. Rand was extremely foolish to go after Trump and Christie directly.

For non-Ohioans, here's a piece on Kasich's curtailment of women's abortion rights in Ohio. It is interesting, he doesn't even talk about it. But then the local papers will review his budget and see his defunding of various items:

"I think the thing that makes this surprising to people is he never talks about this," says Copeland of NARAL Ohio. "All you'll ever find is he says, 'I'm pro-life.' That's it. He wants do this on the down-low."

And in the last election's gubernatorial debates, Kasich would show up but would not even acknowledge his opponent existed, let alone was in the room standing next to him. He would just ignore him and anything he said:

"When Kasich was ran for re-election in 2014, he and his opponent Ed FitzGerald participated in a taped interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer. FitzGerald asked the governor about the 2013 budget provision that prevented rape crisis counselors from letting victims know they have a legal right to an abortion. "Why was it important to have a piece of legislation that literally imposed a gag rule on rape crisis counselors?" FitzGerald asked. "Do you have a question?" Kasich replied. After some coaxing from the Plain Dealer, Kasich said he was pro-life except in instances of rape or incest, but refused to address the provision's effect on rape victims. Following the taping, Kasich's team tried to get the Plain Dealer to take the video down, saying the governor was unaware that he was being recorded."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/wolf-sheeps-clothing-gov-kasichs-reproductive-rights-record

Also - I thought the "God question" at the end was ridiculous. Terrible choice to end the debate.

Yeah I wish one of them (preferably Christie because I think it would have been most believable) had simply responded to the abortion and God questions with "Listen, we have a supposed separation of church and state. The abortion law is what it is and is not going to change anytime soon, and my personal view on God is completely irrelevant to my candidacy for Presidency or the job I would do if elected. So I am not dignifying your questions with answers. We have hundreds of more important issues facing our country at the moment, and we need to focus our time and resources on those issues." I would have likely voted for whoever said that (unless it was Trump, but at least he should have said it).

Will any of these 3 groups support Bush, Christie or Kasich or will they just say fuck it again?

Who knows. That is a big question.

Similar problem on the other side, as well... Does Hillary really fire anyone up? No. Certainly not to the extent that Obama did.

Can't imagine overall turnout will be very high this cycle.

Yeah I wish one of them (preferably Christie because I think it would have been most believable) had simply responded to the abortion and God questions with "Listen, we have a supposed separation of church and state. The abortion law is what it is and is not going to change anytime soon, and my personal view on God is completely irrelevant to my candidacy for Presidency or the job I would do if elected. So I am not dignifying your questions with answers. We have hundreds of more important issues facing our country at the moment, and we need to focus our time and resources on those issues." I would have likely voted for whoever said that (unless it was Trump, but at least he should have said it).

Except see abortion thread. How can the murder of millions of innocent children not be the most important issue facing the country?

The only post-debate Facebook support that I've seen is for Ben Carson saying he "nailed it."

CLxwwIvUYAAaqaA.jpg:large

Yeah, there is no way anyone other than Trump was the most mentioned on Twitter.

Nobody that has replied to a post on any message board is a stalker. How very ignorant and rj-ish of you.

America's economy is in shambles................(fact) US adds 200,000+ jobs to the economy and how is the dollar doing again!?

Trump would be the most paranoid and thin-skinned President since Nixon. His enemies list would be epic.

Kasich basically did that w.r.t. gay marriage. He said "I believe in traditional marriage, but we also have a law in this country now which says that members of the same sex can get married, so I'm not going to spend time focusing otherwise. If my daughter were gay, I would love her unconditionally like God loves me."

Though it was one of the strongest moments of the night.

Back