• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin Proehl is a tarheel

I think some people need to take a step back from the computer for a few minutes. Apparently Ricky Proehl was comfortable enough letting his son make his own decision, and Ricky is the only person involved in Wake Forest athletics that Austin owes anything to. Certainly not any of us. The indignation over the college choice of a 17-18 year kid is a bit over the top.

agreed. Its not like he flipped last minute or something. We heard all along he wanted to be a Heel. Now he is. Who cares?

I think some people need to take a step back from the computer for a few minutes. Apparently Ricky Proehl was comfortable enough letting his son make his own decision, and Ricky is the only person involved in Wake Forest athletics that Austin owes anything to. Certainly not any of us. The indignation over the college choice of a 17-18 year kid is a bit over the top.

To be clear (and so the board police put away their pepper spray), my indignation is at seeing the UNC poster. Which, if you need to have the reason for being pissed at that explained to you, missing the point isn't your biggest concern. Can't speak for anyone else's motivations. I certainly don't like seeing Proehl's name on a UNC poster but it's over/done with/that's that/que sera.

Lots of reasons a kid would want to go to UNC over Wake that has nothing to do with athletics or our recruitment or the place of our programs.

Just read a post by Austin's mom on Facebook. It sounds like God helped Austin out with the decision.

Lots of reasons a kid would want to go to UNC over Wake that has nothing to do with athletics or our recruitment or the place of our programs.

Starting with their newest recruiting incentive, called "Wheels for Heels".

I think one should read carefully what Ricky said about his son's committing to UNC. He said it was a great school to attend. Then he said the football team had an offense that was committed to passing. Maybe in that order. I think Ricky was not happy with the Wake offense and maybe with the Wake coaches and with their recruiting of Austin. They ignored Austin early on. I do know that Ricky's father-in-law and Austin's grandfather - and a MAJOR Wake sports benefactor - is hurting right now.

Wake recruited Austin earlier than UNC, how can he be more mad at Wake than UNC?

Maybe he was interested in Wake early and felt like given history with Wake they would have been interested in him earlier than other schools? His interest was probably from personal history and maybe felt more personally slighted because of it. I can see something along those lines being a possibility.

Ultimately, though, I think if Wake's offense were better he'd be a deacon.

Wake offered before anybody else did. Ohio was the second offer. Wake was "interested" about as early as you can be. The only thing that happened earlier than Wake's interest might be that he took an unofficial visit to Chapel Hill.

Maybe he was interested in Wake early and felt like given history with Wake they would have been interested in him earlier than other schools? His interest was probably from personal history and maybe felt more personally slighted because of it. I can see something along those lines being a possibility.

Ultimately, though, I think if Wake's offense were better he'd be a deacon.

Good WRs have looked pretty good in our offense. W/L results can be debated but it's hard to argue that a WR won't get a chance to put up big numbers here.

I was just going along with the earlier post about the recruiting. I have no idea about that part of it. Ricky not thinking much about our offense is a no-brainer.

The fact that we aren't good enough to interest a 2-3* son of a former star says it all.

I was just going along with the earlier post about the recruiting. I have no idea about that part of it. Ricky not thinking much about our offense is a no-brainer.

The fact that we aren't good enough to interest a 2-3* son of a former star says it all.

It's more complicated than that. We waited a long time to offer Austin and that says a lot about what our evaluation of him was. He was interested in Wake Forest, but his #1 goal was to go to UNC. The Wake offer helped him in that regard because he had a safe place to fall back to if UNC never offered.

What is Wake supposed to do when a former player's son expresses a lot of interest in it? Not offer? We offered and he didn't accept it even though he was (supposedly) very interested.

How do you think Wake should have played it? It hurt us too in all likelihood because even though we knew he wanted to go to UNC all along, we had to offer because if not we would have gotten railed for not offering him. There are other prospects out there that we like more than Austin.

Last edited:
Good WRs have looked pretty good in our offense. W/L results can be debated but it's hard to argue that a WR won't get a chance to put up big numbers here.

Maybe, but Grobe has been talking about running more passing less, and our offense is pretty anemic (boring) in general. I dunno, Wake just seems like a pretty frustrating/depressing place to play right now--pick your sport.

Maybe, but Grobe has been talking about running more passing less, and our offense is pretty anemic (boring) in general. I dunno, Wake just seems like a pretty frustrating/depressing place to play right now--pick your sport.

If running helps us win games, let's do that. It's hard for anyone to be more exciting to a WR/QB in terms of uptempo exciting offense than Fedora, but that shouldn't be our goal.

It's more complicated than that. We waited a long time to offer Austin and that says a lot about what our evaluation of him was. He was interested in Wake Forest, but his #1 goal was to go to UNC. The Wake offer helped him in that regard because he had a safe place to fall back to if UNC never offered.

What is Wake supposed to do when a former player's son expresses a lot of interest in it? Not offer? We offered and he didn't accept it even though he was very interested.

How do you think Wake should have played it?

I'm not being critical of our recruiting of him. I don't know anything about that process and haven't really seen anything about Austin being all-pro anyway. I don't know how much we really wanted him and I doubt our staff is really upset about this at all. I think I'm sort of feeling like 94 was: What does it say about us that a kid named Proehl had Wake as a backup behind UNC?

And to 07's post above, I agree. Whatever helps us win is fine with me. And it's understandable why Austin wanted to go somewhere else.

Last edited:
No problem with Austin not coming to Wake. Why would he want to play for the worst coordinator in college football? Choosing UNC is deplorable in itself, regardless of where his father went.

What this really shows is how shitty our program is that he wouldn't want to go to the same place his dad was a star at. Austin is not the one who should feel heat from Wake fans.

RIGHT ON !!!!

I didn't realize Whit Merrifield went to USC, I thought he went to South Carolina. Seems like a long way from home, but I can certainly see the appeal of hanging with Song Girls in Southern California.

Down there they call it Carolina. The one up here is called Baby Carolina because they kick their butt so much in baseball & football.

Back