• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

i imagine there is a lot of traffic both ways. mexico is a top destination for x-pats.

Maybe it's all the bad yelp reviews for overpriced tour guides on desert hikes.

I wouldn't mind an x-pat retirement in Mexico/Caribbean/Latin America one day.

the only country with "other", i wonder what that means.

It means you are safe at the resort, but all bets are off when you leave the resort. If America is run by oligarchs, then Mexico is run by drug cartels.

the only country with "other", i wonder what that means.

My guess is because Mexico is broken down by state. Don't want those Cancun all inclusive guests feeling unsafe...

Ironically most of the recent issues I've heard of have been cartel assassinations at those same resorts around Cancun and Tulum. There are definitely areas of Mexico I'd avoid driving through but I can't remember ever feeling unsafe during my travels there.

I’ve enjoyed my visits to Mexico and have driven from
Cabo to La Paz on the Baja Peninsula.

I just sent my daughter to Ecuador and Galapagos, which is listed as Level 2, but the unrest there was localized and has died down. She’s headed to Cabo this Labor Day.

My guess is because Mexico is broken down by state. Don't want those Cancun all inclusive guests feeling unsafe...

Ironically most of the recent issues I've heard of have been cartel assassinations at those same resorts around Cancun and Tulum. There are definitely areas of Mexico I'd avoid driving through but I can't remember ever feeling unsafe during my travels there.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. We're planning a trip to Oaxaca and MC for later this year and the travel advisories vary wildly from region to region. There are parts of Oaxaca that are totally fine and other parts that are DO NOT TRAVEL.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. We're planning a trip to Oaxaca and MC for later this year and the travel advisories vary wildly from region to region. There are parts of Oaxaca that are totally fine and other parts that are DO NOT TRAVEL.

where in oaxaca is do not travel?

where in oaxaca is do not travel?

Looks like it's been updated since we looked last week, but it was along the southern coast all the way from Guerrero state to Puerto Escondito. That didn't concern us since we're just going to the city of Oaxaca, but nice to know that the whole state is ok now. I am kind of surprised that Acapulco is listed as DO NOT TRAVEL given how popular it is.

Looks like it's been updated since we looked last week, but it was along the southern coast all the way from Guerrero state to Puerto Escondito. That didn't concern us since we're just going to the city of Oaxaca, but nice to know that the whole state is ok now. I am kind of surprised that Acapulco is listed as DO NOT TRAVEL given how popular it is.

I wonder if that was because of the hurricane that hit a month or so back

don't think it's a drug thing -- Oaxaca is mostly excluded from the major drug routes, as I understand it

I feel like back in the 90s/early 2000s Acapulco was just as popular as Cancun but then safety problems arose and you never hear about it anymore

I wonder if that was because of the hurricane that hit a month or so back

don't think it's a drug thing -- Oaxaca is mostly excluded from the major drug routes, as I understand it

I recall the subject being crime, but again, I wasn't too focused on it since it wasn't the city.

Speaking of Mexico, I have a friend who recently travelled around the wine country south of Tijuana and said it was amazing. Said it was gorgeous and that the crowds were way less than in most areas of California and that some of the wine was just as good. He owns a wine shop and I've definitely been surprised at how good the Mexican wines he sell have been. That said, I'm sure there is a ton of undrinkable stuff too that he's not going to try and sell.

I remember when I was in acapulco in the mid 2000s, a dude got decapitated and his head left on the steps of city hall

I recall the subject being crime, but again, I wasn't too focused on it since it wasn't the city.

Speaking of Mexico, I have a friend who recently travelled around the wine country south of Tijuana and said it was amazing. Said it was gorgeous and that the crowds were way less than in most areas of California and that some of the wine was just as good. He owns a wine shop and I've definitely been surprised at how good the Mexican wines he sell have been. That said, I'm sure there is a ton of undrinkable stuff too that he's not going to try and sell.

We had some really fantastic Mexican sparkling wine on our honeymoon there. We stayed at an all-inclusive in the Riviera Maya and they delivered a bottle to our room every day. But the Mexican red wine they had was terrible. But at my last job we supplied a lot of the labels to the wine industry there so when we'd go to dinner while on work trips there the local team in Mexico would order good Mexican wine that I quite enjoyed.

3wa4vor3hmf91.jpg

That coast west from Puerto Escondido through Guerrero definitely has issues from trafficking. I think there's also some issues of smuggling from south to north through Oaxaca as that's the most narrow stretch of land. Oaxaca the city is completely fine though. You'll likely run into protests but those are against the government rather than tourists. Acapulco is almost entirely local tourism now due to gang violence in the past 20 years or so and an ever present military presence on beaches. Guerrero in general isn't an area I'd recommend other than Zihuatanejo, which is beautiful, but best to fly in there.

What's more surprising cousin marrying being illegal in Mississippi and Arkansas or that it is legal in Massachusetts and Connecticut? I guess that its one way to make sure the blood stays blue.

Back