• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

little kids are actually pretty good at learning stuff. treating them as "not ready" for a concept is fucking dumb as hell. do you have kids?

I don't think that's the issue. If you send Angus on a scavenger hunt to find something ridiculous like the Coca-Cola sensitivity training slides, I'm sure he could find something. Doesn't prove or disprove the ultimate issue of how we should intentionally weave race into how we teach history, and if so, when and how.

I think it's crazy to intentionally weave race into an elementary school education. Little kids aren't ready to think critically about complex issues like the ones discussed under the banner of CRT aren't likely to get any worthwhile benefit from it. You can always teach broader values of our Founding and emphasize inclusion and equality for all, without making it a "race conversation", since there are many more socioeconomic fault lines beyond race. I think the same thing is true with other adult themes: violence, sex, suffering of all types, etc. I don't think we need to rush our society's divisions into these formative years. Goodness knows there will be plenty of time for that, unfortunately.

I think it makes sense to incorporate more specific lessons into middle and high school lessons. I remember as a middle school kid being struck by changes in tone of the subject matter. I think the kids are better equipped to deal with deeper subject matters at that age. My two cents.

Well, given that anti-CRT crusaders are banning any discussion of it in middle and high schools as well as elementary schools (whether it is actually being taught in classrooms or not) makes this a moot point in any practical sense. I have no doubt they will probably try to ban it from public universities if they get enough power.

There were Twitter responses recently to a headline that said “when is it appropriate to teach kids about racism” and many responses from Black people or POC said they were 5-6 when they were first called a slur.

I think it's crazy to intentionally weave race into an elementary school education. Little kids aren't ready to think critically about complex issues like the ones discussed under the banner of CRT aren't likely to get any worthwhile benefit from it. You can always teach broader values of our Founding and emphasize inclusion and equality for all, without making it a "race conversation", since there are many more socioeconomic fault lines beyond race. I think the same thing is true with other adult themes: violence, sex, suffering of all types, etc. I don't think we need to rush our society's divisions into these formative years. Goodness knows there will be plenty of time for that, unfortunately.

genuinely impressive how many levels this take is wrong at

One of the best decisions I have made being a parent is sending my kids to public immersion schools. My now 10 and 8 year olds started school in a Chinese speaking immersion in SC where they not only learned lanquage skills but they learned about different cultures and cultural experiences. It broadened their minds to be more accepting of ALL cultures. My now 5 year old is attending a Spanish peaking immersion school here in California and it is the same result. My kids seem much more empathetic to issues facing non-white people.

There were Twitter responses recently to a headline that said “when is it appropriate to teach kids about racism” and many responses from Black people or POC said they were 5-6 when they were first called a slur.

Yeah. It’s not too young for parents to teach racism so why is it too young for schools to teach anti-racism.

"Race-conscious teaching" seems like it should be an imperative.

Sure - But the problem with this is "race-conscious teaching" means different things to different people.

Take this elementary school in Cupertino, CA for example:

https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/13/r-i-meyerholz-elementary-school-cupertino-union-district-critical-race-theory-third-grade/

R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School, part of the Cupertino Union School District in San Jose, Calif., reportedly held a lesson on “social identities” during a math class for third-grade students where the teacher asked students to list their race, class, gender, religion and family structure in an “identity map,”

The teacher reportedly began the lesson with a slide entitled “Dominant Culture,” which includes “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able bodied, Christian” individuals who “hold power and stay in power.”

The teacher then reportedly read to the students from “This Book Is Anti-Racist” by Tiffany Jewell, explaining “intersectionality.” One of the examples the book gives is that a “heterosexual considered handsome and speaks English has more privilege than a Black transgender woman.” The teacher told the students that people who have privilege “have power over others” and some people may have features of their identity that give them power while other features mean they’re oppressed.

Many big brains here in the Tunnels would argue the example above is just "race-conscious teaching". For 3rd graders. During math class.

I mean, my kid got a n-bomb dropped on him in 1st grade. I'm not sure I have a big issue with Brad's pearl-clutching anecdote.

But that is also not CRT.

And I love the "persuade the voters" argument. Were the voters persuaded to integrate the schools in the first place?

I think it makes sense to incorporate more specific lessons into middle and high school lessons. I remember as a middle school kid being struck by changes in tone of the subject matter. I think the kids are better equipped to deal with deeper subject matters at that age. My two cents.

Why do you think it’s beneficial to have race specific lessons for middle and high schoolers? What will it benefit? Won’t it just make them feel ashamed of their race?

If you disagree “I invite you to make your case to the voters. Maybe it will go better for you next time. Maybe.”

I mean, my kid got a n-bomb dropped on him in 1st grade. I'm not sure I have a big issue with Brad's pearl-clutching anecdote.

And I love the "persuade the voters" argument. Were the voters persuaded to integrate the schools in the first place?

Never. That's why Republicans complain about "activist justices."

Never. That's why Republicans complain about "activist justices."

In infinitum, the tortuous cycle of “cultural”progress in which conservatives never stop resisting in the present and never admit to their resistance in the past.

Last edited:

I've read a number of articles over the years that argued the whole push for "school choice" and more private schools, charter schools, and private Christian schools started when public schools were racially integrated in the 1950s and 1960s. And you're right - if it were left up to voters, schools in many states and districts would never have been integrated in the first place. It was Supreme Court and lower court decisions that pushed school integration, and helped lead to Chief Justice Earl Warren being called a communist in many quarters.

Y'all don't have to argue with Angus and jhmd.

This. jh has already admitted he isn’t interested in reasonable conversation. He just wants to get the more emotional posters riled up with his bullshit posts.

One of the best decisions I have made being a parent is sending my kids to public immersion schools. My now 10 and 8 year olds started school in a Chinese speaking immersion in SC where they not only learned lanquage skills but they learned about different cultures and cultural experiences. It broadened their minds to be more accepting of ALL cultures. My now 5 year old is attending a Spanish peaking immersion school here in California and it is the same result. My kids seem much more empathetic to issues facing non-white people.

I attended an immersion middle school as a kid. Hated my parents at the time because I thought it was extra work, but as I got older I appreciated how unique that experience was and how important being outside of my comfort zone then was for my development later in life.

Why do you think it’s beneficial to have race specific lessons for middle and high schoolers? What will it benefit? Won’t it just make them feel ashamed of their race?

If you disagree “I invite you to make your case to the voters. Maybe it will go better for you next time. Maybe.”

Waiting until middle school and high school is way too late. It is way harder to unteach bad ideas than to plant good ideas from the start.

Jhmd is not worth engaging with but it’s hilarious that he has such low expectations for elementary aged kids (and their capacity for learning about complex topics) when one of his main talking points is Dems having low expectations for people of color.

Jhmd is not worth engaging with but it’s hilarious that he has such low expectations for elementary aged kids (and their capacity for learning about complex topics) when one of his main talking points is Dems having low expectations for people of color.

You don't have to spend your whole life hiding from people who think differently. Scared isn't a plan.

Back