• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

So pretty much exactly what I said: people are learning "CRT concepts" (even "foundational concepts") but not "the finer points of...theory".

No, not what you said. Teaching someone the concept of “social class” is not teaching them Marxism. Teaching someone that our society is structurally racist is CRT.

No, not what you said. Teaching someone the concept of “social class” is not teaching them Marxism. Teaching someone that our society is structurally racist is CRT.

I'll further clarify the analogy: learning about the modes of production and proletarian revolution in schools is Marxism.

I was taught this in third grade in WSFC public schools

Does the analogy work better for you now?

Kids are being taught that American society is structurally racist, that white privilege is a real thing, that equality is not equity

I disagree with him about whether teaching CRT in schools is a good thing.

You disagree with kids learning those things?

Quick primer from the fascist white supremacist organization - The National Education Association - on the Oklahoma bill which was purported to be the end of education as we know it:

https://neaedjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/KYR_Oklahoma-Final.pdf

For K-12 schools including charter schools, the law prohibits teaching that:

• One race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex.

• One’s moral character is necessarily determined by their race or sex.

• An individual, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously.

• An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of their race or sex.

• Members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race or sex.

• An individual, by virtue of their race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.

• Any individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress on account of their race or sex.

• Meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist or were created by one race to oppress members of another race.

Can I still teach the truth about U.S. history and current American society?

o Yes, the law does not prevent the teaching of history and social studies or any other subject

Junebug, when did structural racism end in the United States?

Still no, unless you were taught that you needed to rise up and overthrow the bourgeoisie.

To be clear, the point I’m making is that Marxism was taught as a socio-economic theory—a theory among other theories, I’m sure—while CRT is often being taught as truth.

I personally have no problem with CRT being taught to kids as a theory among other theories. I do have a problem with kids being taught that our society is, factually, structurally racist.

Junebug, when did structural racism end in the United States?

Even if it did end, wouldn’t you want kids to learn about it, historically speaking, so they could work to make sure it didn’t happen again?

Maybe he thinks it ever existed

Even if it did end, wouldn’t you want kids to learn about it, historically speaking, so they could work to make sure it didn’t happen again?

Maybe he thinks it ever existed

Probably but I want him to say it.

Still no, unless you were taught that you needed to rise up and overthrow the bourgeoisie.

just to be clear, this isn't a necessary component of marxist critique, as the Franklin/fort School demonstrates

My point was that learning buzzwords and big concepts that trickle down from academic theories a decade or two later is not learning the theory itself, which was MDMH's argument.

I'm sure someday soon kids will be learning about the anthropocene and transgender rights but that doesn't necessarily mean that ecocriticism and fourth-wake feminism are on the primary school curriculum.

yeah iirc "intersectionality" is conventionally used with a connotation different to what Crenshaw was specifically arguing in her essay however many years ago

To be clear, the point I’m making is that Marxism was taught as a socio-economic theory—a theory among other theories, I’m sure—while CRT is often being taught as truth.

I personally have no problem with CRT being taught to kids as a theory among other theories. I do have a problem with kids being taught that our society is, factually, structurally racist.

so kids learn in school about marxism but the rest of their lives they're inundated with capitalism and somehow you feel this is unfair

If you admit that, then people might demand change. Change is bad.

Change is awesome. What if there were more effective ways to change circumstances than duelling, politically charged re-tellings of the past? Should we teach those in school?

Change is awesome. What if there were more effective ways to change circumstances than duelling, politically charged re-tellings of the past? Should we teach those in school?

re-tellings of the past? racism is finished? SWEET!

"duelling, politically charged re-tellings of the past"

Isn't that what history is?

Back