• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

I keep asking the same thing. Why are angus and jh and sailor so vehemently opposed to the truth? All I can figure is to follow the money, because jh sees everything through the lens of his financial position and preparing his children's minds to protect their financial position.

Could it be they fear if we strip away all their bullshit, and the truth about America becomes an open dialogue, then they will have to pay reparations? or that the low taxes they have enjoyed all these years will go up? Or that their kids won't have the same financial advantages they had over huge swaths of the population and therefore will have to try even harder?

gotta be the money

They're middle-age white guys of a certain financial position on a forum with a bunch of other middle-age white guys in the same financial position who have accepted the truth.

what are you so scared of brad?

Scared?? LOL. Try entertained.

dv7 should be charging for the comedy of watching the big brains on the Tunnels move through the stages from "CRT doesn't even exist" to "OK it exists but what's the big deal... White conservative males just can't handle the truth".

They're middle-age white guys of a certain financial position on a forum with a bunch of other middle-age white guys in the same financial position who have accepted the truth.

Shit - If I'm in the same financial position as many of you clowns I'm spending waaaay too much time here and need to get back to work

dv7 should be charging for the comedy of watching the big brains on the Tunnels move through the stages from "CRT doesn't even exist" to "OK it exists but what's the big deal... White conservative males just can't handle the truth".

why is examining the history of race relations in this country entertaining to you?

why is examining the history of race relations in this country entertaining to you?

I mean he seems like the type of dude that would really enjoy a minstrel show, so there's that.

Every single conservative rebuttal is some form of “the voters don’t like what you are saying”. So? Voters have been very wrong about lots of things throughout history. Fuck em. They might not ever agree, but their children or grandchildren will learn. You can’t fucking vote your way around the truth, eventually it gets ahead of you no matter how many dipshits you put in office.

LOL. Of course CRT "exists", the question is whether it's being taught in public schools in some sinister widespread manner. And on that count neither you nor your hero Rufo nor any other conservative has shown that to be the case. But if you keep saying it often enough then it becomes believable, at least to you and your fellow rube base.

LOL. Of course CRT "exists", the question is whether it's being taught in public schools in some sinister widespread manner. And on that count neither you nor your hero Rufo nor any other conservative has shown that to be the case. But if you keep saying it often enough then it becomes believable, at least to you and your fellow rube base.

Pretty clear that everyone involved in this debate over CRT has defined it to fit their individual arguments. I don’t think any of you are being honest about what it is. For the rubes it’s everything they don’t like, and for the libs it’s this very quixotic legal theory, that is somehow even more narrowly defined than it’s creators describe it as.

So dumb. No one says crt doesn't exist. Only that 1 - you don't understand what it actually is and 2 - where it's actually being taught.

Those two things are entirely different from your ilk wanting to remove books so perfect little snowflakes don't have to understand what people of different racial and economic realities have lived a different American experience than much of our pro life party!

Pretty clear that everyone involved in this debate over CRT has defined it to fit their individual arguments. I don’t think any of you are being honest about what it is. For the rubes it’s everything they don’t like, and for the libs it’s this very quixotic legal theory, that is somehow even more narrowly defined than it’s creators describe it as.

The CRT that Angus believes in and believes is being taught in elementary schools, all the white shame and math is racist stuff, that’s not “mainline” CRT and it is not being taught in schools. I am sure Angus could Google up a few exceptions, a few academics that argue modern white people are responsible for past enslavement, or a few examples of a teacher making a white kid feel bad that his great great grand uncle was a confederate Sargent, but mostly, everything he is afraid of is not true.

The CRT that Angus believes in and believes is being taught in elementary schools, all the white shame and math is racist stuff, that’s not “mainline” CRT and it is not being taught in schools. I am sure Angus could Google up a few exceptions, a few academics that argue modern white people are responsible for past enslavement, or a few examples of a teacher making a white kid feel bad that his great great grand uncle was a confederate Sargent, but mostly, everything he is afraid of is not true.

Of course Angus’s interpretation of CRT is ignorant and of bad faith, but the consideration of systemic racial bias in teaching methods *is* part and parcel of CRT. By its definition it’s the consideration of how racial identity and racial prejudices influence social systems and thus the outcomes of those systems, presupposing that the concept of race is critical to understanding our society. In it’s early stages, CRT was a theory to understand how race was critical to *legal* outcomes, but over time the theory was broadened, because law involves more than just criminal cases, but also the organization of our society.

Of course Angus’s interpretation of CRT is ignorant and of bad faith, but the consideration of systemic racial bias in teaching methods *is* part and parcel of CRT. By its definition it’s the consideration of how racial identity and racial prejudices influence social systems and thus the outcomes of those systems, presupposing that the concept of race is critical to understanding our society. In it’s early stages, CRT was a theory to understand how race was critical to *legal* outcomes, but over time the theory was broadened, because law involves more than just criminal cases, but also the organization of our society.

Yes, but the term/phrase Critical Race Theory has been perverted to carry new anti-white connotations, which actual CRT does not. Everything you listed is stuff that needs to be explored and taught to our kids and society at large. But the CRT that JH and Angus are afraid is not critical race theory. I do think JH has a better grasp of the actual content of the concept. He does not believe and therefore does not think we should teach, that the outcomes in peoples lives are a product of their race, but rather their effort and choices. I suppose its at least a valid alternative and testable hypothesis.

Now there are plenty of valid opinions saying that the concept of CRT is too complex to teach young children, but I think that belief belies a misunderstanding, the core concept of race is ethnic identity, which for minorities is taught through experience from birth basically. The notion that perspective and worldview are shaped by a persons race is natural. CRT is simply the inverse of that, that the world itself is shaped by perspective, and perspective is highly influenced by race.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...-critical-race-theory-was-created-to-fill/amp

“Critical race theory is not merely about making a better historical document but about movement toward the way things could be. If there is anything valid about conservatives’ cooked-up attack, it’s their sense that a free accounting of race in society cannot help but imply an unmaking of the rule of law as we know it. And, in that case, the influential liberal class might have good reason to diminish the movement’s teachings. As Bell and as his peers knew well, reformers can be corrosive, too.”

Please. You're terrified that if those scary leftist historians can take away your neatly packaged, whitewashed story of the holy Pilgrims sharing a celebratory meal with their Indian neighbors, what will they take away next? You can't deal with any challenge to your antiquated views. Your defensive strategy of cherry picking individual events which support your view and counter the larger systemic problem is one of the oldest strategies used by oppressive people to keep minority groups from having a voice.

Yes, but the term/phrase Critical Race Theory has been perverted to carry new anti-white connotations, which actual CRT does not. Everything you listed is stuff that needs to be explored and taught to our kids and society at large. But the CRT that JH and Angus are afraid is not critical race theory. I do think JH has a better grasp of the actual content of the concept. He does not believe and therefore does not think we should teach, that the outcomes in peoples lives are a product of their race, but rather their effort and choices. I suppose its at least a valid alternative and testable hypothesis.

This is surprisingly close to accurate, so let me say thank you for the sincere attempt at a fair reading. Sincere kudos. I think race has been one of the factors in outcomes, and without question at times (including recent times) THE determinative factor in far too many outcomes---I think everyone believes that---but I would add that the degree of the factor in outcomes is willfully distorted by people who prefer the narrative that it has been determinative in more cases than is actually true. Further, I do not believe that the far left desires a color-blind society. There are people who see political capital in the narrative of race and distort it for their perceived advantage. I question their motives and do not trust them to be good stewards of any curriculum. Their track record speaks for itself, poorly.

who do you trust to be good stewards of any curriculum?

Back