• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Keep us posted on this bill please. I've already stated how stupid it is at face value.

If it actually passes I'll be as outraged as anyone. And I would be absolutely shocked if it even makes it to consideration by the SCOTUS after being struck down multiple times by lower courts.

The big SCOTUS story today is them upholding discrimination that was struck down by lower courts. That’s the Republican plan. Pass bills at the state level that should be legally dubious. Let them work their way up to the conservative court to get a rubber stamp. Keep doing that until they’ve shredded voting rights and they can do whatever they want at the federal level.

It’s not about one bill. It’s about an entire strategy. If this bill doesn’t pass another one will.

Was this bill written by ALEC and being debated in dozens of state houses nationwide or is it just some quack rep from Oklahoma ? I would guess the latter.

It’s a bill, not a law.

It stands no chance of becoming a law.

And we shouldn’t indulge the notion that every bill some idiot backwater Republican proposes as red meat for his base should be the subject of political discourse just because it shows up on Highland’s or Ranger’s Twitter feed.

It seems like most of what the GOP is doing looks like the "idiot backwater Republican [throwing] red meat to his base."

Why you find it acceptable for the GOP to tolerate these "idiots?"

These are the people Republicans should be censuring, but instead they censure members who call out the Big Lie.

It's easy to see the GOP priorities.

I mean these donks were the same donks lecturing the teachers on here a few months back about how none of this was going to result in consequential.

I understand that it's nice to not have to worry and care about these things, but you might want to think about the people in y'all's lives who do.

Sorry for not jumping down to your satisfaction on a message board about a bill in a state 1,100 miles away from me. Are you traveling to Oklahoma City to voice your displeasure in person or something ? Are you concerned that something similar is happening in Sacramento ?

Sorry for not jumping down to your satisfaction on a message board about a bill in a state 1,100 miles away from me. Are you traveling to Oklahoma City to voice your displeasure in person or something ? Are you concerned that something similar is happening in Sacramento ?

Didn’t the anti-CRT in schools laws start in Oklahoma last spring as a bill and spread around the country from there? Didn’t we have conservative lawyers on here explain to us that it was just a state law that wouldn’t affect us outside of OK and besides the language of the law was actually pretty reasonable? Now we’ve got teachers living on the edge, school principles being fired, curriculums being rewritten, and books being banned across the country, we’ve even had a few books burnings. These little backwater, crazy GOP legislatures are the testing grounds for what they can get away with so it’s worth keeping an eye on what is coming down the pipe.

Biff going full white privilege mouthbreather on this thread, huh? Another legal expert? Can't be bothered with this nothingburger?

You’re welcome to sound like a jackass online, but you should actually look into this stuff before you dismiss it to people who may be affected by it professionally and personally. I just didn’t peg you for being that kinda dude, but it’s the internet, etc.

So you're taking at job at OU or you're sending your kids there to be taught ?

I'll say it again, this is bad, those people are stupid, and I'm glad I don't live in fucking Oklahoma.

Biff, we’ve already explained how this stuff starts with a few shitty bills to see how far they can go. This is all part of conservatives using states as a lab to test what they can do before going national.

There are far more shitty bills that don't get passed than ones that do.

There are far more shitty bills that don't get passed than ones that do.

So it’s a game of legal Russian roulette. Not sure why that’s supposed to make me feel better. That also ignores that shitty bills that don’t get passed are a step toward ones that do. It’s a process.

You're wasting too much energy worrying about a bill that will clearly not pass any measure of judicial scrutiny. There are much bigger windmills to tilt at.

LOL. In case you didn't notice, this story has been covered on multiple news outlets, including in the UK, so it's hardly just a "Twitter feed" story. People like you said we didn't need to worry about all these CRT laws, but there have been multiple book bannings (and one book burning in TN), and some of these bills are indeed becoming law, so go ahead and dismiss it if you want, it's a serious problem and disturbing to see. Those "backwater" Republicans seem to be a growing majority of your party, but keep your head in the sand.

I most certainly did not say libs didn't need to worry about all these CRT laws. They should worry; these laws threaten to disrupt the hegemonic liberal control over pre-college education that has lead to things like teachers forcing students to "confess their privilege," "share their pronouns," participate in chants to Aztec gods, and other bullshit that goes on in our public schools. They are the product of the COVID-induced remote-learning great awakening where parents saw what their children were actually learning at school and were appalled by the indoctrination of liberal ideology. Silver linings, I guess.

If teachers aren't teaching things like the history of slavery, for example, it's because they are listening to people like you who are overstating the effect of these laws in an effort to undermine them. I've said it before and I'll say it again--that's not what these laws prohibit. At most, these are growing pains as schools adapt to the new sheriff in town. Schools need to do a better job of training their teachers on how to comply with them, which will come in time, as it does with all legislative efforts to control curriculum.

As for this Oklahoma clown who is serving red meat to his base, you can wring your hands over him if you want. His bill will never become a law--he probably doesn't want it to because teachers are much more likely to actually offend non-Christians than Christians--and, even if it did, it would be struck down in a skinny minute as a facial violation of the First Amendment.

Last edited:
Back