• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

I’ve come to the realization that what politicians meant in the 1700s and 1800s isn’t much different than what they mean now. “Religious freedom” meant and means being able to construct society around white Christian norms. “Freedom” means low taxes.

Yeah, one of the historical myths that schoolkids were taught for a long time, especially in lower grades (and probably still are in some schools), is that the Puritans and Pilgrims came here for "freedom of religion." They actually came here for the freedom to practice their religion with no outside interference, and they were anything but tolerant of other religious beliefs, even within Christianity. They established a theocracy in the New England colonies they controlled. Roger Williams, an advocate of the separation of church and state, was convicted by a Puritan court of practicing sedition and heresy for spreading "diverse, new, and dangerous opinions" and was more or less driven from the colony. The whole cute little Thanksgiving story of the local Native Americans, the Wampanoags, and Puritans having a Thanksgiving feast together also looks a lot less cute when you learn that the Puritans basically exterminated most of the tribe in King Phillip's War 50 years later and enslaved many of the surviving women and children and sold surviving male members of the tribe into slavery in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the historical myths that schoolkids were taught for a long time, especially in lower grades (and probably still are in some schools), is that the Puritans and Pilgrims came here for "freedom of religion." They actually came here for the freedom to practice their religion with no outside interference, and they were anything but tolerant of other religious beliefs, even within Christianity. They established a theocracy in the New England colonies they controlled. Roger Williams, an advocate of the separation of church and state, was convicted by a Puritan court of practicing sedition and heresy for spreading "diverse, new, and dangerous opinions" and was more or less driven from the colony. The whole cute little Thanksgiving story of the local Native Americans, the Wampanoags, and Puritans having a Thanksgiving feast together also looks a lot less cute when you learn that the Puritans basically exterminated most of the tribe in King Phillip's War 50 years later and enslaved many of the surviving women and children and sold surviving male members of the tribe into slavery in the Caribbean.

The celebration of Thanksgiving was a feast to honor the military alliance between the Pilgrims and Wampanoags, who attacked another area tribe at night and slaughtered everyone in their village. I make sure my American History students understand this every November.

Another good read.

'Forget The Alamo' Author Says We Have The Texas Origin Story All Wrong

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/16/1006907140/forget-the-alamo-texas-history-bryan-burrough

That last part is at the core of the conservative argument. White is right. That's why even if jhmd and Junebug don't actually think this is a big deal, they have to fight because if we challenge the dominant white history narratives to include other viewpoints, what will we do next? Challenge white supremacy in our society.

Good podcast with one of the authors of the book.
https://crooked.com/podcast-series/with-friends-like-these/

this is what I was taught in non woke early 00's NC public school.

this is what I was taught in non woke early 00's NC public school.
Me too, but what I wasn't taught was that they were marginalized in England bc they were absolute shits to everyone else.

The stereotypical "puritan" is memorialized in Malvolio in *Twelfth Night*, a pompous, foolish, prick who despises all fun. And the separatists who became the "pilgrims" were even worse.

I remember the beginning of the Robert Eggers movie "The Witch" doing a good job representing the religious conflicts inherent to American puritanism in C17 colonial America

I remember the beginning of the Robert Eggers movie "The Witch" doing a good job representing the religious conflicts inherent to American puritanism in C17 colonial America

Here is a good take as well:

Last edited:
African American principal suspended at a predominantly white high school for teaching CRT even though the principal denies teaching it. The principal has also been villainized in his community for having a white wife. This isn't in the middle of nowhere either. It's at a high school in a prominent Dallas suburb right next to DFW.

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/Texas-Black-principal-critical-race-theory-16427485.php?IPID=Chron-HP-CP-Spotlight

Whitfield, the first Black principal to run Colleyville Heritage High School, became embroiled in a local controversy over critical race theory at a July 26 school board meeting. A man introduced in the meeting as Stetson Clark called the principal out by name, in violation of the meeting's rules, and demanded Whitfield be fired. Members of the audience hollered "fire him" and applauded, Whitfield said.

A few days later, a parent complained to the district about a photo Whitfield had posted on social media that showed him and his wife, who is White, in an embrace, celebrating their wedding anniversary.

"Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want as an example for our students?" the parent asked in an email that Whitfield recounted on Facebook. The district asked Whitfield to remove the photo to avoid further controversy, KXAS-TV reported.

Back