• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball Batting Lab

Definitely seems like an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot with facility improvements like this. A batting lab should be a great addition. I look forward to the construction of our fielding lab after this one.

Definitely seems like an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot with facility improvements like this. A batting lab should be a great addition. I look forward to the construction of our fielding lab after this one.
Wonder if we can collab on any of these labs with other sports.

Wonder if we can collab on any of these labs with other sports.
It would take some following up to see if it's actually happened, but when they opened the pitching lab I was really impressed that they were going to open it up as a community tool and take advantage of its injury prevention capabilities for middle and high school pitchers.

Any lab designed for analyzing the mechanics of overhead throwers would be really useful for quarterbacks, tennis, and volleyball players too

It would take some following up to see if it's actually happened, but when they opened the pitching lab I was really impressed that they were going to open it up as a community tool and take advantage of its injury prevention capabilities for middle and high school pitchers.
Any idea if they bring in any money when they let MLB teams use it? I know I’ve read about some folks coming there for rehab, etc.

Any idea if they bring in any money when they let MLB teams use it? I know I’ve read about some folks coming there for rehab, etc.
I think that's how it works. Feel like when we talked to Joe Girardi right before the 2020 season, that was either mentioned or inferred.

I remembered reading this story from the Asheville ABC station a few months ago and looking again it says:

The lab is open for athletes as young as 12 to book time and get an assessment. “A lot of the younger kids just think that the tech is cool, and you know, like to see how they’re moving and hopefully give them a competitive advantage to move and progress through their baseball career.” Dr. Kristen Nicholson is the pitching lab director and explains “they’re able to throw their bullpens and we’re able to get full body kinematics and kinetics and then compare them to professionals that have had their data collected using the same system or to themselves” This offseason, the lab has had some notable MLB pitchers like Chad Kuhl and Ian Anderson come through for evaluations.

IIRC, this came out of the strategic collaboration with VT a few years back. We needed their engineering expertise.
MLB franchises should be able to afford engineers. I'm sure if they put out a call, they'd get plenty of takers.

MLB franchises should be able to afford engineers. I'm sure if they put out a call, they'd get plenty of takers.
I can see them affording it, but would they be willing to devote the needed space. They could also have the old school mentality of human over technology.

I suspect the Wake Forest pitching lab has qualities that are lacking on the MLB level. It usually recieves a special mention from the Cub announcers whenever pitching labs are the on-air topic of discussion and the Cubs have invested heavily in their lab.

It would make sense for MLB clubs to build these at their spring training facilities. During one of Rhett's interviews, he said he only uses the lab during the off season. And he didn't want to change much during the season.

It would make sense for MLB clubs to build these at their spring training facilities. During one of Rhett's interviews, he said he only uses the lab during the off season. And he didn't want to change much during the season.
That makes sense. They could throw in some cash to build labs at USF, FGCU, FAU, and ASU.

You also need the scientists. As Walter said "if you don't have the scientist, it's just surveillance." Or something like that.

Back