• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball Batting Lab

I will say. a batting lab is actually more complex than a pitching lab. Reason is that batting is a reactive activity, wheras pitching is proactive. Pitching is based on 100% repeatable motions where batting has to have elements of change based on pitch dynamics

The pitcher controls almost everything when throwing a pitch. It is all about optimizing: location, speed, spin rate/direction and ball movement.

Batting needs to optimize batter actions, but in the context of a bunch of different pitches to be hit.

The most important aspect of batting is probably finding the ball after it leaves the pitcher's hand (about 8 feet above the plate) and figuring out where it will be when it reaches the plate. All in the fraction of a second it takes for the ball to travel 55 or so feet from release point to home plate.

The pitcher controls almost everything when throwing a pitch. It is all about optimizing: location, speed, spin rate/direction and ball movement.

Batting needs to optimize batter actions, but in the context of a bunch of different pitches to be hit.

The most important aspect of batting is probably finding the ball after it leaves the pitcher's hand (about 8 feet above the plate) and figuring out where it will be when it reaches the plate. All in the fraction of a second it takes for the ball to travel 55 or so feet from release point to home plate.
I don't want to minimize the difficulty of engineering required to simulate this, but I feel pretty confident current bio-medical, engineering, and AI technology can do a pretty good job simulating that. Certainly to improve over the existing tech of pitching machine you can find at your local celebration station or middle aged man behind net panel.

I don't want to minimize the difficulty of engineering required to simulate this, but I feel pretty confident current bio-medical, engineering, and AI technology can do a pretty good job simulating that. Certainly to improve over the existing tech of pitching machine you can find at your local celebration station or middle aged man behind net panel.
of course. You can use Rapsodo devices, pressure plates, etc to help with hitting. There's a place here in Tampa that uses all of those things in a small hitting lab environment. VR for Pitch recognition as well.

Back