• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball Batting Lab

It would make sense for MLB clubs to build these at their spring training facilities. During one of Rhett's interviews, he said he only uses the lab during the off season. And he didn't want to change much during the season.
that's the right way to do it. Cubs have their lab in Mesa.

It would make sense for MLB clubs to build these at their spring training facilities. During one of Rhett's interviews, he said he only uses the lab during the off season. And he didn't want to change much during the season.
One obvious exception would be a pitcher who is pitching well and then experiences a drop in performance. Lab session to see if some changes in mechanics contributed to the change in performance.

A few years ago I recall reading that every MLB team had sent folks to look at the Wake pitching lab. So definitely doesn’t seem like it’s all that common even at the MLB level which I agree seems weird

where is the CTE research that's coming out being done? Aren't we also doing that with VT? And wasn't it cited in like a Toyota commercial or something?

I met the pitchlogic guys via mutual friends like a decade ago, talked with them briefly about it maybe 6 or 7 years ago when they were getting it off the ground. Basic idea was just load a baseball with tons of sensors so you can analyse speed, rotation, rise, etc. Lets you see in hard data what changes in your throw technique makes.

I met the pitchlogic guys via mutual friends like a decade ago, talked with them briefly about it maybe 6 or 7 years ago when they were getting it off the ground. Basic idea was just load a baseball with tons of sensors so you can analyse speed, rotation, rise, etc. Lets you see in hard data what changes in your throw technique makes.
if you load a baseball with a ton of sensors won't it react differently than a real baseball?

And owners do not like spending money they don’t have to to actually try and win
This is a great point. Not sure how much a pitching lab costs, but I'm sure it's a few millions that could go toward scouting and coaching or a new yacht instead.

Major League Baseball and high-ranking club officials have discussed limiting how much teams can spend in areas other than player salaries, such as technology, player development, scouting and health, multiple people briefed on such discussions told The Athletic.

A league spokesperson said MLB’s focus has been on technology vendors, rather than staffing.

“There is nothing happening on that front,” the spokesperson said. “What we are focused on is gathering information on vendor costs to find potential cost savings through efficiencies and to ensure equal access to all technology.”

Major League Baseball and high-ranking club officials have discussed limiting how much teams can spend in areas other than player salaries, such as technology, player development, scouting and health, multiple people briefed on such discussions told The Athletic.

A league spokesperson said MLB’s focus has been on technology vendors, rather than staffing.

“There is nothing happening on that front,” the spokesperson said. “What we are focused on is gathering information on vendor costs to find potential cost savings through efficiencies and to ensure equal access to all technology.”
lol what a dumb fucking organization

Last edited:
lol what a dumb fucking organization
Completely agree that this is dumb, but let me be devil's advocate for a minute. In a recent Astros book, the Astros tried to purchase Edgetronics, or get an exclusivity deal. Should that deal instead have been done by MLB, and the data given to all teams? Some stuff like Trackman at amateur games and sharing data would be much better for the industry. Not sure I want the Mariners paying for trackman at University of Florida in exchange for exclusive rights to data.

Completely agree that this is dumb, but let me be devil's advocate for a minute. In a recent Astros book, the Astros tried to purchase Edgetronics, or get an exclusivity deal. Should that deal instead have been done by MLB, and the data given to all teams? Some stuff like Trackman at amateur games and sharing data would be much better for the industry. Not sure I want the Mariners paying for trackman at University of Florida in exchange for exclusive rights to data.
that's all well and good but I think history tells us that the main reason teams want to limit other's spending spending is because they don't want to spend their own money.

Wake should build this Pronto. Then, more importantly, find the right person to be the lab director/professor who is the right combination of sports junkie, computer geek, stars geek and exercise physiologist. Then bring in bright grad and undergrad students to do the grunt work. Profit.

Wake should build this Pronto. Then, more importantly, find the right person to be the lab director/professor who is the right combination of sports junkie, computer geek, stars geek and exercise physiologist. Then bring in bright grad and undergrad students to do the grunt work. Profit.
I would assume that some of the pitching lab staff could handle this with more support. It's still fundamentally biomechanics.

Back