• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Common theme on the Dawgvent right now as people are posting Newman highlight reels over there: Everyone on that board covets Surratt :cool:

Not for QBs I don't believe. If you are a Day 3 or possibly even late 3rd rd pick, you are most likely drafted to be QB3 which on most teams means practice squad.

It's not a theory. That's why I said a lot of GMs. - meaning obviously not all. I think it was Bill Parcells who just refused to draft a QB unless they had 20 starts. His number might even had been higher. My point is that I have heard a number of guys, Jon Gruden when he did that QB show he'd do, who talk about the philosophy of not drafting a QB without 20+ college starts, ideally 30. The theory being they should have been able to earn the job through talent in their redshirt sophomore year at the latest. I don't have a feeling one way or the other. 30 starts does imply durability.

I don't think people can really understand how far away Newman's dream of an NFL life was 15 months ago - he was 3 years into a college career without a meaningful game snap competing with a true freshman to be QB2. Then Hinton gets suspended and just as he begins competing for QB1, he goes down to injury and gets to watch Hartman almost waltz into national living rooms against Tulane. Newman was a long long long way from even a sniff at the NFL. In fact, I suspect he would have transferred without a Wake degree if Hartman stays healthy and Newman stays on the bench all last year.

In a lot of ways, he has Hartman to thank, not for going down, but I have heard Clawson talk about how some kids don't figure out what it takes to excel at their position in the ACC until year 2 or 3 or even 4 - it is different for every kid - Clawson has said it didn't click for Jamie until Hartman walked in ready to go January two years ago - it was only then that Newman started competing and preparing like a college QB.

Anyway, I expect him to go to Georgia now. It makes the most sense with Oregon w/out an OC. I think a lot of folks on here are wrong in that he does have a lot of support from the teammates he's "left behind." I am sure the thought of going to Miami causes him a lot of consternation.

What are you going to do if Greene makes a similar decision in a couple years?

Greene is much more likely to go the NFL after his junior year than transfer. I would probably feel like I did when he intially committed to Duke- angry and sick.

So I guess than that we should stop taking other school's grad transfers if we are going to be so pious as to dump on a player who led us to bowl games and graduated from Wake Forest?

Remember all the grad transfer/purported potential Heisman candidates that Wake took ?

Me neither.

Not for QBs I don't believe. If you are a Day 3 or possibly even late 3rd rd pick, you are most likely drafted to be QB3 which on most teams means practice squad.

It's not a theory. That's why I said a lot of GMs. - meaning obviously not all. I think it was Bill Parcells who just refused to draft a QB unless they had 20 starts. His number might even had been higher. My point is that I have heard a number of guys, Jon Gruden when he did that QB show he'd do, who talk about the philosophy of not drafting a QB without 20+ college starts, ideally 30. The theory being they should have been able to earn the job through talent in their redshirt sophomore year at the latest. I don't have a feeling one way or the other. 30 starts does imply durability.

I don't think people can really understand how far away Newman's dream of an NFL life was 15 months ago - he was 3 years into a college career without a meaningful game snap competing with a true freshman to be QB2. Then Hinton gets suspended and just as he begins competing for QB1, he goes down to injury and gets to watch Hartman almost waltz into national living rooms against Tulane. Newman was a long long long way from even a sniff at the NFL. In fact, I suspect he would have transferred without a Wake degree if Hartman stays healthy and Newman stays on the bench all last year.

In a lot of ways, he has Hartman to thank, not for going down, but I have heard Clawson talk about how some kids don't figure out what it takes to excel at their position in the ACC until year 2 or 3 or even 4 - it is different for every kid - Clawson has said it didn't click for Jamie until Hartman walked in ready to go January two years ago - it was only then that Newman started competing and preparing like a college QB.

Anyway, I expect him to go to Georgia now. It makes the most sense with Oregon w/out an OC. I think a lot of folks on here are wrong in that he does have a lot of support from the teammates he's "left behind." I am sure the thought of going to Miami causes him a lot of consternation.

Not to get into a huge debate but ...QBs drafted in 3rd round don't hit practice squads. They are inactive on game days a lot, but not on the PS. On PS they are unprotected. Virtually every QB drafted in 1st 4 rounds the last 10 years has made the opening roster. Once you hit 5th round that changes things...but if you show any potential at all they are going to protect you. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

re: Parcells, that mind-set is about 30-40 years old. He last coached 14 years ago. The new NFL doesn't think that way. Quite sure that Sean McVay would take Haskins or Trubisky in a heart beat if he needed a QB.

Last edited:
Not to get into a huge debate but ...QBs drafted in 3rd round don't hit practice squads. They are inactive on game days a lot, but not on the PS. On PS they are unprotected. Virtually every QB drafted in 1st 4 rounds the last 10 years has made the opening roster. Once you hit 5th round that changes things...but if you show any potential at all they are going to protect you. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

re: Parcells, that mind-set is about 30-40 years old. He last coached 14 years ago. The new NFL doesn't think that way. Quite sure that Sean McVay would take Haskins or Trubisky in a heart beat if he needed a QB.

You are right on the first point - I did confuse inactive QB3 to practice squad.

On your 2nd point, technically it doesn't make sense to say that mindset is 30 years old and then note that Parcells last coached 14 years ago. So ... it is at maximum 14 years dated. It's the Math.

I have Gruden mention it when interviewing pre draft QBs as recently as a few years ago, but truth be told, until AFTER those interviews, he'd last coached about the same time frame as Parcells. Can we agree to say that teams prefer to draft college quarterbacks with a lot of game tape? Like 20 games worth? If all they got is 11 great games, so be it, but 20 is highly preferred ...

My UGA guys saying Newman has made his decision, but it hasn't been announced - anyone got any insight?

My UGA guys saying Newman has made his decision, but it hasn't been announced - anyone got any insight?

That all comes from a UGA writer interviewing the HS coach in Graham who told him that Newman's made his decision. UGA people are understandably optimistic (those who want Newman, anyway) that this corresponds nicely with Fromm's announcement.

Lost in all of this are some intangibles:

Newman was sneaky clutch for Wake in many instances. The 4th quarter comeback at State last year in his first start, the 4th down thrown to Hinton at Utah State (after the long pass to Sage with under a minute to play from our 20 or 30), the 3rd and 18 throw against UNC to Scotty over the middle ...

As I said when Newman announced entering the portal, Hartman needs of those moments next year to firmly establish himself as not just the guy, but someone the team can trust to embrace the moment. Not all guys do ...

Back