• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Pretty weak stats though. We definitely ran a lot more designed QB runs for Newman that should not be included in the discussion on whether or not he called his own number when making an RPO read.

cool

let me know when you've finished reviewing the endzone all-22 film for the past 26 games

until then, I'm sticking by my assertions that 1)Newman ran more than Hartman at least in part because he called his own number more often, often eschewing a throw (I mean, look at tape from this year's game in the Carrier Dome on this); and 2)the speed of the mesh point is largely determined by the speed at which the qb makes the reads

My boy Sam Darnold is also a big waddler. Always runs like his pants are way too small (and he has like 15 pair layered on at the same time).

Not sure if there is a correlation between waddling and being a good NFL QB. Someone (not me) should do a definitive study on this.

Ducks waddle

Oregon Duck qb's generelly underachieve

Mariotta
Harrington
Akili Smith

/study

Jameis is kind of a throwback to a 90s mediocre QB. Josh Allen is the next evolution of Steve Young or Randall Cunningham.

Jameis barely got under 5 seconds on his combine 40 time and no way has he gotten faster

Allen is a top-5 rusher at QB

Allen ran a 4.76, the same as Newman ran in high school (and the same that Rodgers ran). None of them are burners, same as Jameis. By contrast, Lamar Jackson allegedly ran a 4.34, Russell Wilson ran a 4.55, Cam ran a 4.59. Have to assume Kyler Murray's is in that same range.

The only reason Allen would be considered a top-5 running QB is because his passing is questionable so he bails early a lot and plenty of folks are more comfortable with him running than passing. Which is likely why the Bills run him so much.

Kyler Murray is a water bug. He's faster than all of them save Lamar.

I personally Murray should be playing baseball right now. At some point, he's going to either get crushed or tear his ACL and he'll be toast. Might be too late to bail to baseball. In baseball, he'd be the best lead off hitter speed and bunting potential wise since Deon Sanders and Ricky Henderson. Pro Football, I don't think he has a future as anything other than a 4 or 5 year starter that gets good but not great.

Kyler Murray is a water bug. He's faster than all of them save Lamar.

I personally Murray should be playing baseball right now. At some point, he's going to either get crushed or tear his ACL and he'll be toast. Might be too late to bail to baseball. In baseball, he'd be the best lead off hitter speed and bunting potential wise since Deon Sanders and Ricky Henderson. Pro Football, I don't think he has a future as anything other than a 4 or 5 year starter that gets good but not great.

I always wonder about this with the guys that could go with either sport. Given the longevity of careers, average pay, and overall impact on your mental and physical health, why the fuck would anyone choose football?

There are reports on the UGA board of Newman and family being on the UGA campus today.

In spite of being peeved about bailing on the OGB, I’ll cheer for the young man and brag about who trained him first
BUT also ask for a home and home match up with the Bulldogs. They owe it.

True, but he was the 9 pick in the MLB draft, and that was after he said he was going to stick with football.

Oh whoops good call. I was thinking he was a 4th rounder like Hustle Wilson. The travel/overall work demands of baseball are way, way, worse. But the whole saving your body/brain thing and playing for much longer is nice.

Because he was the #1 pick.

Yep. Plus being an NFL QB is a hell of a lot more fun that being an outfielder for 162 games from April to September, maybe October. MLB outfielders are a dime a dozen. There’s several hundred of those guys around who have done that. An NFL QB? That’s a small fraternity.

I always wonder about this with the guys that could go with either sport. Given the longevity of careers, average pay, and overall impact on your mental and physical health, why the fuck would anyone choose football?

After the signing bonus with his draft slot, baseball is a crap shoot. Even as a first rounder it’s a complete unknown if you’ll ever make the majors. A first round pick is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the NFL for a few years no matter what. As a baseball guy, I honestly don’t think Kyler has a future as an MLB ballplayer.

All of these are valid points. I shall rethink my perspective.

Then he got fat from eating a bunch of crab legs.

2EOSNYBPB5BD3PIPQANTS6244Q.jpg
Welllll... when you ain't paying for 'em...

After the signing bonus with his draft slot, baseball is a crap shoot. Even as a first rounder it’s a complete unknown if you’ll ever make the majors. A first round pick is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the NFL for a few years no matter what. As a baseball guy, I honestly don’t think Kyler has a future as an MLB ballplayer.

Why would you say he doesn't have a future as a MLB player?

From what I saw this year, not sure he has a future as NFL QB.

Why would you say he doesn't have a future as a MLB player?

The A's drafted on potential. MLB teams in general fall in love with "projectability." Murray was a very raw baseball player and alot had to come together to even remotely obtain his potential.

Teams will reach for projectable prospects (see Russell Wilson, below average baseball player, crazy athletic).

Yep. Plus being an NFL QB is a hell of a lot more fun that being an outfielder for 162 games from April to September, maybe October. MLB outfielders are a dime a dozen. There’s several hundred of those guys around who have done that. An NFL QB? That’s a small fraternity.

I mean, unless you find baseball more fun.

Back