• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

Totally agree with this. You get to prove your worth against Carolina and Duke... nothing has changed. It's a job many good coaches would look at.

It's definitely still a good job that coaches look fondly upon. I do think that we lost a lot of the leverage that we could have used when we fired Dino Gaudio, but that's in the past now.

Did he though? No one has ever come out and even said he was on any list. All of us just assumed he was because of the timing and figured we must have approached him. But more people have claimed to have sources and spoken more confidently that he was never contacted than those who have backed that assumption up.

It's definitely still a good job that coaches look fondly upon. I do think that we lost a lot of the leverage that we could have used when we fired Dino Gaudio, but that's in the past now.

I think that is overstated on our boards as is the "no one wants to work with/for Wellman" thing, as Say Hey alluded to earlier.

We would need to pony up the cash though and hope we got lucky. It wouldn't just be that we could offer money and are in a good conference.

I think that is overstated on our boards as is the "no one wants to work with/for Wellman" thing, as Say Hey alluded to earlier.

We would need to pony up the cash though and hope we got lucky. It wouldn't just be that we could offer money and are in a good conference.

I mean haven't we listed like 10-12 candidates that most of us would be pretty happy with? I imagine if we can scrap together $1.5-2.0mm per year then we could hit on one of those candidates. This bz era has really killed our optimism.

I do believe part of why we hired [Redacted] last go around is because he's pretty cheap and I'm not sure if there are pressures we're not considering that would prevent Wake from ever offering a contract in the $1.5-2.0mm range off the bat to a new coach. $3.0 is crazy talk unless caturday cashes out and funds the new coach.

I absolutely agree with that. Many coaches would still love to work with Ron Wellman.

I mean haven't we listed like 10-12 candidates that most of us would be pretty happy with? I imagine if we can scrap together $1.5-2.0mm per year then we could hit on one of those candidates. This bz era has really killed our optimism.

I do believe part of why we hired [Redacted] last go around is because he's pretty cheap and I'm not sure if there are pressures we're not considering that would prevent Wake from ever offering a contract in the $1.5-2.0mm range off the bat to a new coach. $3.0 is crazy talk unless caturday cashes out and funds the new coach.

I'm in total agreement, I was thinking specifically of any small chance we would have with Shaka and Stevens.

I don't think we would spend it either, but to get those guys we would need to be able to offer that, IMO, and hope things happened to fall in place perfectly with other stuff, too.

Last edited:
getting rid of grobe will probably free up some cash

and if wellman doesnt go maybe he can get a pay cut until revenue sport performance improves

Our coaching prospects are much worse than they were when Skip passed or when he was flirting with Pitt.

Wakes financial picture is completely different than it was when we hired [Redacted] thanks to two new TV deals that each added a bunch of revenue. We should be able to fund a $3m salary. The question is if Wellman is smart enough to actually do it and realize there's a reason coaches like Shaka and Stevens are expensive and coaches like [Redacted] are not.

Who do you think we would have gone after if Skip had left for Pitt?

I'm not sure I agree that they are much worse, I think we just have, rightfully so, much less confidence in Wellman. But I don't think any coaches would look at the gig and think there was any less potential here necessarily. Our team is definitely much worse.

I'm not sure Wellman has it in him to get a fuckin' A hire though.

I agree that $3.00 is crazy talk. ;). It'll probably take $3 million funded by the new TV revenue or the increase in ticket sales generated by the renewed hope/support for our program.

I absolutely agree with that. Many losers like Buzz would still love to work with Ron Wellman.

FIFY

I love the people saying Shaka and Stevens would want to work here so they can prove their worth against UNC, Duke, Syracuse, etc....

Uh, why would those guys take a job at a school so they can prove their worth against a better basketball school when they can just get the job at the better basketball school in the first place? I think they've already proven their worth. Combined, they've been to more final fours than Wake Forest has in its entire history.

In a weird way the Wake job has the benefit of making any coach that comes in here look like a stud. That is why I think we go with an up and comer who can recruit. They have a great opportunity to succeed simply because the previous coach completely sucked. My opinion is that if our next hire is a good one he will only last a few years and then jump ship. The next hire is the key one, because that is the guy that could last. IN order to get back to the grown ups table we must make 2 consecutive great hires in my opinion.

I love the people saying Shaka and Stevens would want to work here so they can prove their worth against UNC, Duke, Syracuse, etc....

Uh, why would those guys take a job at a school so they can prove their worth against a better basketball school when they can just get the job at the better basketball school in the first place? I think they've already proven their worth. Combined, they've been to more final fours than Wake Forest has in its entire history.

It would just be one of the reasons. And both of them very well might be able to get one of those jobs. But when those kinds of jobs come open (rarely), there are a LOT more dudes wanting those gigs.

Back