• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

It's just funny to see the same things said over and over again every time we have a coaching search under Ron Wellman. I know where you're coming from, as I made the same plea after Odom left (I signed the Pelphrey Petition!).

I had a buddy who was at Depauw the same time as Stevens. I was really hoping he'd have stories of blazing up and stuff like that, but he let me down.

It's just funny to see the same things said over and over again every time we have a coaching search under Ron Wellman. I know where you're coming from, as I made the same plea after Odom left (I signed the Pelphrey Petition!).

I still remember last go around when I paid for scout and then those clowns were saying the Billy Donovan was contacted for the job and he was interested

Billy Donovan would have likely been the best hire in the history of the ACC, rivaling Roy Williams to UNC.

Nothing in Wellman's career suggests he will hire someone with NO experience as a head coach at any level. Fuller is a Wake guy and was a well-respected student-athlete on campus when I was there, but I don't think there's any way in the world Wellman would hire him.

Probably not but otherwise were looking at an also ran. State got lucky going that route.

I barely know any of these UNC players. I am out of the loop.

Don't mean to hijack. Stevens - yes please.

Can anyone give me one (seriously, just one!) good reason why Stevens or Shaka would want the job? We'd be lucky to get Butler's video guy.

Money
ACC
We've been good many times.
Best job that will be available for the next few years.

just throw $4mil a year at Brad Stevens. The revenue will follow.

Ego. You win in the ACC you will be a legend. Both these guys know that. You know both of them know they are the shit and might relish the chance to go head to head with a couple of legends and powerhouses when there could potentially be a window of opportunity to capitalize on any transitions the big boys might be making in the next few years.

That's if we can match or exceed the money, and neither are holding out hope for either those two jobs or other big time ones.

Not likely, but it's what we can sort of cling to.

Money
ACC

Totally agree with this. You get to prove your worth against Carolina and Duke... nothing has changed. It's a job many good coaches would look at.

Money
ACC

Sorry RJ this isn't 1995. Wake simply isn't that good a job. We have mediocre fan support, crummy stadium, tough academics, at best we're third banana in our own state, ACC doesn't carry much cache anymore, etc. I don't like it either but these are sadly the facts.

Sorry RJ this isn't 1995. Wake simply isn't that good a job. We have mediocre fan support, crummy stadium, tough academics, at best we're third banana in our own state, ACC doesn't carry much cache anymore, etc. I don't like it either but these are sadly the facts.

No, those are just, like, your opinions, man.

Back