• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

sounds good to me! Dirty =

trophy.jpg

I agree with buckets. Not like the NCAA is going to come brainwash me into forgetting going to my first WFU final four or take my championship t-shirts away if we hire the dirtiest of the dirty.

Sound like haterade to me. Hire Tim up.

Tim Fuller sounds awesome to me. SIGN HIM UP.

7722702.jpeg

I agree with getting a black coach if possible. We're a predominantly white school trying to recruit mostly black athletes. It's no secret that Jeff Battle has been our chief recruiter for some time and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I disagree with those who say Wake isn't still an attractive job. Wellman is not an attractive AD to work for, but I think the right coach will easily recognize the opportunity here. It wasn't long ago that the joel was rocking and we were competing. We have more than few NBA guys and two HOF's still in the league. I also think CP3 will step into the spotlight for Wake if we hire someone that excited the base. We can be good again, but we can't afford to continue this spiral. It's one thing to have been good three years ago versus five or six.

No recruiting practices for kids he was recruiting against Wake. And I can confirm that Scot Drew has a horrible reputation amongst peers. If you remember he was recruiting Deuce Bello against Wake.

And I can confirm that the earth is round and the sun came up in the east this morning.

Maybe it's the Philosophy major in me, but winning by cheating is not winning at all, even if others are doing it too.

Don't care about the race of the coach but Wellman does need to break out of that white guy in his 50s at the highest level school we can get mold that limits our options.

I think Wellman just goes down the list and starts with who we can get. I have no doubt he thought Bz would be a hit since he was a major conference head coach which Grobe, Skip, and Peterson were not.

Last edited:
No recruiting practices for kids he was recruiting against Wake. And I can confirm that Scot Drew has a horrible reputation amongst peers. If you remember he was recruiting Deuce Bello against Wake.

Nike ties on the AAU circuit? I'm curious...

Reactions: DG3
So you want to hire a younger coach then?

In the words of Dead Prez, "Young, black, and just don't give a f*ck"…let's just do the opposite of everything Wellman set out to do and maybe we can reverse this.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble. Fuller was the DBO here before Coach Corbean. I have heard on multiple occasions and from solid sources that, "Tim Fuller is one of the dirtiest guys in college basketball."

If that is from sources in our athletic department, that could just mean that he wears his socks wrong

We may be frustrated with Wellman because he hired [Redacted] and generally seems to have checked out, but I don't see how that makes him a terrible boss that would discourage potential candidates. If anything, Wellman has seemed to be the perfect boss -- hands-off, willing to spew amazing BS in your defense, content with unimpressive results, etc.

I knew Tim briefly at Wake (he was a senior when I was a frosh and considering walking on). Also spent some time with him on the phone when I was coaching. He is a great recruiter. I cannot comment on him possibly being shady, but usually other assistants get the low down pretty quick on people who are crossing the line, and for what it is worth I never heard anything like that about Tim. He certainly is effective, and sometimes that can cause rumors sprung from jealousy to emerge. As an assistant just starting out Tim was very helpful to me. It seems to me he would be a great guy to bring back in some capacity to Wake.

He is young, we could get him for cheap, he is a great recruiter, he believes in Wake Forest. Seems like a good possibility. As an associate head coach he only has one jump to make, and that is to head coach. We would be giving him the opportunity of a lifetime to be honest, but in the shape our program is in, it is not inconceivable. We are going to need someone young and VERY VERY hungry to hit the recruiting trail to get back into competition with the rest of D1 basketball programs that are not currently playing in the Atlantic Sun.

I knew Tim briefly at Wake (he was a senior when I was a frosh and considering walking on). Also spent some time with him on the phone when I was coaching. He is a great recruiter. I cannot comment on him possibly being shady, but usually other assistants get the low down pretty quick on people who are crossing the line, and for what it is worth I never heard anything like that about Tim. He certainly is effective, and sometimes that can cause rumors sprung from jealousy to emerge. As an assistant just starting out Tim was very helpful to me. It seems to me he would be a great guy to bring back in some capacity to Wake.

He is young, we could get him for cheap, he is a great recruiter, he believes in Wake Forest. Seems like a good possibility. As an associate head coach he only has one jump to make, and that is to head coach. We would be giving him the opportunity of a lifetime to be honest, but in the shape our program is in, it is not inconceivable. We are going to need someone young and VERY VERY hungry to hit the recruiting trail to get back into competition with the rest of D1 basketball programs that are not currently playing in the Atlantic Sun.

seems like a good deal. i think the scariest part of a young coach is their ability to fill out a good staff. does tim have the connections/network to build a full staff at an acc school?

seems like a good deal. i think the scariest part of a young coach is their ability to fill out a good staff. does tim have the connections/network to build a full staff at an acc school?

He spent time with Prosser and Pitino. Those two have big, successful coaching trees. I am sure he could fill a staff.

I would also anticipate him pulling someone from the AAU ranks just based on his background.

Back