• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

isn't it noted that wellman doesn't really like gregg marshall? marshall supposedly rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Tim Fuller is an interesting name, what was he like as a Wake player? And why did he leave Louisville for Missouri? Ties to Haith? Seems like a downgrade unless he got a promotion in the process.

Ties to Haith and promotion to #1 assistant.

... That said, I think folks need to understand Wellman's track record, which is that he is absolutely going to go for what he perceives to be the least risky possible hire. ...

???? So in RW's mind, Buzz was the "least risky possible hire"?

(Speaking about Dr. Brett Reed) I mean a guy with 4 years of head coaching experience and significant success. A guy only 40 years old who clearly places value on coaching at a place with academic distinction. A guy who went to the 3rd Rd of the NCAAT last year and has recruited exceptionally well at a place like Lehigh.

... Brett Read won one game in the NCAA Tournament, in what we can all agree was somewhat of a fluke of an upset against Duke. ...

I would not call it a fluke. Yes, Duke probably wins that game nine times out of ten. But Dr. Reed's teams play well and thus he put's them in a position to win. That said, I agree that he is not a proven commodity, but I think he has potential.

... His recruiting outside of McCullough is [Redacted] level... I'm not convinced.
If it came down between Reed and [Redacted], I'd take Reed in a second, but that strikes me as a false choice.

Another way to say this is that [Redacted] is recruiting Lehigh level talent. And so is Dr. Reed, but he's recruiting to Lehigh and then accomplishing a lot more with that talent. The question is, could he take his recruiting to the next level if he was at a program like Wake? I believe Dr. Reed is more of a proven commodity (and therefore a better choice) than, for instance Tim Fuller.

The next coach is going to have to completely resuscitate the program. That's going to take a lot of work. Looking at Travis now vs. his freshman year shows just how devastating a bad coach can be to a developing talent. Don't think our freshmen are immune to getting broken down by this utter disgrace of a coach and a human being. ...

Well said! I do not understand how the "powers that be" do not see the disservice being done to our players by allowing this travesty to continue.

Last edited:
isn't it noted that wellman doesn't really like gregg marshall? marshall supposedly rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Tim Fuller is an interesting name, what was he like as a Wake player? And why did he leave Louisville for Missouri? Ties to Haith? Seems like a downgrade unless he got a promotion in the process.

He got a promotion plus Fuller played for Haith when Haith was an assistant here under Odom....

I love the idea of Tim Fuller and think it is definitely a feasible hire. That being said, I don't follow college basketball enough to know much about other people being mentioned. I think hiring Tim Fuller and bringing back someone with ties to the program and recognizable to a lot of fans and alums would definitely excite the fan base.

We can't hire someone who is not dynamic. We can't hire someone from Lehigh.

I agree with all of this. It's worth noting that McDermott has a similar resume and should also be a somewhat feasible hire once his son moves on to greener professional pastures.

McDermott already parlayed mid-major success when he moved from Northern Iowa to Iowa State, where he did nothing.

fuller-go-easy-on-the-pepsi.jpg

I want Fuller just so we can have 50 of these for the student section.

Last edited:
If we're talking assistants.. Why not Orlando Antigua?

I met Orlando Antigua on Halloween night 1990 when I was a freshmen and he was taking his official visit to Wake- pretty sure he was wearing a frankenstein mask. He didn't pick Wake but I always remembered that for some reason.

Fuller was a walk on, back when our walk ons got minutes for good reasons.

Nice guy, I thought.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble. Fuller was the DBO here before Coach Corbean. I have heard on multiple occasions and from solid sources that, "Tim Fuller is one of the dirtiest guys in college basketball."

sounds good to me! Dirty =

trophy.jpg

Scott Drew combines all of the cheating of Calipari with none of the coaching ability of Calipari.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble. Fuller was the DBO here before Coach Corbean. I have heard on multiple occasions and from solid sources that, "Tim Fuller is one of the dirtiest guys in college basketball."

Is it related to shoe money/endorsements? I know he went and worked for Nike immediately after leaving Wake.

???? So in RW's mind, Buzz was the "least risky possible hire"?

Feel free to shoot him an email, but, yes, I think Ron Wellman considered [Redacted] at the time to be a safe hire. He kept the entire staff, for chrissakes.

Back