• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

There actually may not be a TON to fix next year. Yes, we are still weak in the post, but at least with a senior Travis (maybe?), Chase & Green, plus the freshman and McClinton and Overton, there is a full team and some bit of talent. It is just painfully obvious that the players dont respond to whatever [Redacted] attempts to do to motivate them, and they don't take well to his attempts to teach. And the cobbled together staff clearly has no sense of unity or like for the head man.

Even if this year turns out decent (optimistic), this is the perfect time to cut bait. Allow Bz to retire if need be, say he did what he was supposed to do, and the next chapter is ready to begin. Battle will land about anywhere he wants, Rusty and Corbean I feel bad for (although Rusty cant recruit at all and I question his coaching as well), and Childress will always have a place here and would be the ideal person for a new coach to keep around.

The next coach is going to have to completely resuscitate the program. That's going to take a lot of work. Looking at Travis now vs. his freshman year shows just how devastating a bad coach can be to a developing talent. Don't think our freshmen are immune to getting broken down by this utter disgrace of a coach and a human being.

I agree with your observations on Rusty and, for those reasons, I think it's best that we let him go as well. I know next to nothing about Corbean, but starting from scratch seems to be the best option.

Amaker never made The Dance at Michigan. He was there for six years. Not sold on him.

Alford is a much better choice.

I'm pretty sure that all of us have Shaka or Stevens as our #1 in a perfect world.

Some of us think that Wake has the guts to throw enough money and years at those two. Others don't. That's the difference.

Gregg Marshall towers above the Wes Millers, Tim Fullers, Pat Kelseys, or any of the other no-name mid-major coaches or assistant coaches being pushed on this thread.

When Marshall was at Winthrop, there was legitimate concern whether he could translate his incredible winning record there to a higher level of basketball. But he has now gone to Wichita State -- a high mid-major in a league just a hair below the current mediocre ACC -- and proven he can win at a program actually superior to Wake's right now. Just the other night, he upset VCU at their home arena, outcoaching Shaka Smart something awful in the process.

Marshall is a proven winner and a proven program builder. And unlike Anthony Grant or Brad Stevens, he is also a realistic possibility (to the extent that any decent coach would want to coach under Ron Wellman right now, which is the real issue, and one that should be addressed before we hire another b'ball coach).

I haven't seen Danny Manning mentioned. He spent 9 years at Kansas, including 6 as an assistant, is largely credited for how successful Kansas has been at developing big men, and is now in his first year as the head man at Tulsa.

Gregg Marshall towers above the Wes Millers, Tim Fullers, Pat Kelseys, or any of the other no-name mid-major coaches or assistant coaches being pushed on this thread.

When Marshall was at Winthrop, there was legitimate concern whether he could translate his incredible winning record there to a higher level of basketball. But he has now gone to Wichita State -- a high mid-major in a league just a hair below the current mediocre ACC -- and proven he can win at a program actually superior to Wake's right now. Just the other night, he upset VCU at their home arena, outcoaching Shaka Smart something awful in the process.

Marshall is a proven winner and a proven program builder. And unlike Anthony Grant or Brad Stevens, he is also a realistic possibility (to the extent that any decent coach would want to coach under Ron Wellman right now, which is the real issue, and one that should be addressed before we hire another b'ball coach).

Good points

I haven't seen Danny Manning mentioned. He spent 9 years at Kansas, including 6 as an assistant, is largely credited for how successful Kansas has been at developing big men, and is now in his first year as the head man at Tulsa.

I can't see a first time head coach jumping ship after just one year on the job...

I agree with all of this. It's worth noting that McDermott has a similar resume and should also be a somewhat feasible hire once his son moves on to greener professional pastures.

I know I shouldn't do this but I've almost talked myself into the possibility that we could turn this around in short order if we make an exciting hire. CMM should be very good, Jones has been better than advertised. DT and Moto have some promise. GMac could be a major impact player if he continues to improve his shot.

I can't see a first time head coach jumping ship after just one year on the job...

Unlikely, but not unheard of. Agree he's a more likely candidate if we have to suffer through Bz year 4.

Also agree that it's unlikely but it would be a major step up and he could theoretically be here for a decade if he did well.

I know I shouldn't do this but I've almost talked myself into the possibility that we could turn this around in short order if we make an exciting hire. CMM should be very good, Jones has been better than advertised. DT and Moto have some promise. GMac could be a major impact player if he continues to improve his shot.

IMO and based on what I've seen and heard, GMac is going to be somewhere between Travis's skill as a freshman and Moto's athleticism when it comes down to it. He's just not that skilled and players like him tend to not develop a heck of a lot in HS.

I think we need a young black coach with a ton of energy. I wish Randolph would go somewhere to learn from a real coach. I know we won't get Shaka but I would love him or Fuller. Get Randolph some experience and bring him back he would be our own Shaka. You can tell he hates everything going on here, but what can he do about it?

I think we need a young black coach with a ton of energy. I wish Randolph would go somewhere to learn from a real coach. I know we won't get Shaka but I would love him or Fuller. Get Randolph some experience and bring him back he would be our own Shaka. You can tell he hates everything going on here, but what can he do about it?

why black?

isn't it noted that wellman doesn't really like gregg marshall? marshall supposedly rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Tim Fuller is an interesting name, what was he like as a Wake player? And why did he leave Louisville for Missouri? Ties to Haith? Seems like a downgrade unless he got a promotion in the process.

Back