• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

Fuller is an interesting name. At this point, I'd go for the home run with a young up-and-comer that can excite the program than a journeyman mid-major coach.

Fuller is an interesting name. At this point, I'd go for the home run with a young up-and-comer that can excite the program than a journeyman mid-major coach.

They'd also be cheaper, but it's worth pointing out that Marshall and McDermott win games with less talent. They've created outstanding programs and recruited well. Veteran coaches might be more valuable for our program looking forward after the wreck that [Redacted] leaves behind (a.k.a. an 8-man class of 2012) than young recruiters. Who knows, though...

Yeah, it's the Patriot League... Jeff [Redacted] looked awesome at Air Force and that was, at the time, considered to be a mid- not a low-major.

We can do better. I'm not saying that we will, but we can.

And, it's a message board: why not aim a bit higher? Outside of some of the crazies, I'm not sure anybody thinks we can get Smart or Stevens at this point. I do like a few of the mid-major veterans (i.e. Gregg Marshall, Greg McDermott). But, I think we're better off taking a high profile associate head coach (i.e. Tim Fuller at Mizzou, Jeff Boals at tO$U, or Matthew Graves at Butler).

I think there are major differences between Reed and [Redacted]. And I'm not arguing in favor of him, just based on what I read he seems like a very logical Wake type of coach.

Also, I go back to what I posted early in this thread about so much of who is a target depends on who is making the hire and if its Wellman does he have to have a committee this time around? If its a new AD, then who knows what the targets are. Based on history, associates are not going to be given consideration, rightly or wrongly.

Finally, I fear our brand is severely damaged amongst coaches. Not because of the firing of Dino but just the overall shit that has been our program the last 3 years and the total lack of energy amongst the fans. It will take a very unique coach who takes time to research what WFU as a university is and what WFU bball can and has been.

I'm getting excited for the coaching search after Buzz. I hope it doesn't turn out to be Bzzz 2.0 though.

I'm still pissed that the Bobcats got Dunlap... He would have been an awesome post-[Redacted] fixer.

I'm getting excited for the coaching search after Buzz. I hope it doesn't turn out to be Bzzz 2.0 though.

Totally agree. I usually roll my eyes at the weekly candidate thread, but this one actually has me excited. Of course, it's probably the most excitement we'll get this season.

Totally agree. I usually roll my eyes at the weekly candidate thread, but this one actually has me excited. Of course, it's probably the most excitement we'll get this season.

Pretty sad... the only thing we look forward to is the coaching search. Bzz is a lame duck coach and everyone knows it.

I'm still pissed that the Bobcats got Dunlap... He would have been an awesome post-[Redacted] fixer.

There actually may not be a TON to fix next year. Yes, we are still weak in the post, but at least with a senior Travis (maybe?), Chase & Green, plus the freshman and McClinton and Overton, there is a full team and some bit of talent. It is just painfully obvious that the players dont respond to whatever [Redacted] attempts to do to motivate them, and they don't take well to his attempts to teach. And the cobbled together staff clearly has no sense of unity or like for the head man.

Even if this year turns out decent (optimistic), this is the perfect time to cut bait. Allow Bz to retire if need be, say he did what he was supposed to do, and the next chapter is ready to begin. Battle will land about anywhere he wants, Rusty and Corbean I feel bad for (although Rusty cant recruit at all and I question his coaching as well), and Childress will always have a place here and would be the ideal person for a new coach to keep around.

Why are you getting excited? It's highly unlikely that Ron cans Buzzdick this year. So when he finally has to fire Buzzdick, you're still left with the issue that it's Ron who will be choosing his successor. I have zero faith Ron will handle that process appropriately. The only good scenario would be for Hatch to fire Ron and hire a competent AD to take his place. And I don't see that happening either.

Scott Drew would have been a good option when we hired Bz, but Baylor is rising and we've fall off a cliff since then. Plus he's probably too shady of a recruiter for Wellman's liking.

I talked to three separate people this weekend in South Bend who went out of their way to just smash Scott Drew as a human being because of how shady his recruiting is at Baylor.

Drew finished 2% behind Coach Cal as the dirtiest recruiter in America. Not a chance he winds up here (or should have to begin with imo).

Wellman hired Skip and Grobe. He definitely screwed up with [Redacted], but I'm not sure that means he couldn't hit the next hire out of the park.

Why are you getting excited? It's highly unlikely that Ron cans Buzzdick this year. So when he finally has to fire Buzzdick, you're still left with the issue that it's Ron who will be choosing his successor. I have zero faith Ron will handle that process appropriately. The only good scenario would be for Hatch to fire Ron and hire a competent AD to take his place. And I don't see that happening either.

I disagree. I think Ron knows he screwed this one up big time. I think Bz hates being here and I can easily foresee a mutual parting of ways. All Ron has to do is look around the coliseum and stare at the bottom line to know there is only 1 way out of this mess. I bet we would fill up the Joel 75%+ on Friday night against W&M if [Redacted] was let go between now and then.

IMO, we have to hire somebody who immediately lights a fire under the seats of recruits, players, and perhaps most importantly, the supporters of the program.

Wellman has done nearly irreparable damage to the program with the [Redacted] hire & its subsequent handling. Men like my father, whose #2 passion in life (behind family, of course) for 50+ years has been Wake Forest Basketball, are sitting at home completely disinterested in the outcome of games that are going on in the Joel. It makes the entire situation so much more painful knowing that every game we see [Redacted] on the sideline makes it less and less likely that fans like him will not be around (in one way or another) to experience the eventual rebound of the program.

The economics of hiring/taking a chance on a less-proven coach might be easier for the school to handle... but with everything that's happened; the cost of hiring the best Head Coach we can get would pale in comparison to the cost of maintaining our current destructive course.

If Wellman handled this entire situation with even the slightest bit of competency; we might not need to throw millions at a Smart or a Stevens... but, as its played out... I really think its become our only reasonable option if starting to rebuild (success & support) in the next 5-10 years is our goal.

I disagree. I think Ron knows he screwed this one up big time. I think Bz hates being here and I can easily foresee a mutual parting of ways. All Ron has to do is look around the coliseum and stare at the bottom line to know there is only 1 way out of this mess. I bet we would fill up the Joel 75%+ on Friday night against W&M if [Redacted] was let go between now and then.

Wellman would have the easiest press conference ever:

"Today I stand here to announce that Jeff [Redacted] is no longer the head basketball coach at Wake Forest. You all know why. Thank you, and we will now diligently use our resources and time to conduct a thorough and successful search for our next coach."

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but Tim Fuller strikes me as an obvious candidate.

Mizzou's Associate Head Coach, thick WF ties, only 34, players love him.

I've talked to a guy that grew up with Tim nearby here in Woodbrige, VA. He said he is "Wake guy" through and through. He definitely keeps up with the state of the program. And he actually cares about it. He is a knockout recruiter and a tireless worker. It would be a gamble because of his lack of HC experience, but he would certainly be an exciting hire.

I've talked to a guy that grew up with Tim nearby here in Woodbrige, VA. He said he is "Wake guy" through and through. He definitely keeps up with the state of the program. And he actually cares about it. He is a knockout recruiter and a tireless worker. It would be a gamble because of his lack of HC experience, but he would certainly be an exciting hire.

But he's not a a 50+ year old white guy.

IMO, we have to hire somebody who immediately lights a fire under the seats of recruits, players, and perhaps most importantly, the supporters of the program.

Wellman has done nearly irreparable damage to the program with the [Redacted] hire & its subsequent handling. Men like my father, whose #2 passion in life (behind family, of course) for 50+ years has been Wake Forest Basketball, are sitting at home completely disinterested in the outcome of games that are going on in the Joel. It makes the entire situation so much more painful knowing that every game we see [Redacted] on the sideline makes it less and less likely that fans like him will not be around (in one way or another) to experience the eventual rebound of the program.

The economics of hiring/taking a chance on a less-proven coach might be easier for the school to handle... but with everything that's happened; the cost of hiring the best Head Coach we can get would pale in comparison to the cost of maintaining our current destructive course.

If Wellman handled this entire situation with even the slightest bit of competency; we might not need to throw millions at a Smart or a Stevens... but, as its played out... I really think its become our only reasonable option if starting to rebuild (success & support) in the next 5-10 years is our goal.

This. It has to be a slam dunk hire, or we are fucked for another 5-10 years. That is why I'm excited. I don't think Wellman is dumb enough to re-live Bzz 2.0.

Back