• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

One of the reasons WE give up so many offensive boards is there isn't a second player on the boards. Carson often has to rebound against two or three guys. Having a second big body would have helped.

Yes he does have to get stronger...

I wish [Redacted] would have played Ty a C and Carson at PF a lot more this year.

Just didn't have the depth for that, though.

One of the reasons WE give up so many offensive boards is there isn't a second player on the boards. Carson often has to rebound against two or three guys. Having a second big body would have helped.

I wish [Redacted] would have played Ty a C and Carson at PF a lot more this year.

The few times we tried this it was a total disaster. Neither of those guys can guard ACC power forwards and we get torched. Ty and Carson are only affective within a 3 foot radius of the basket on defense, with Ty being somewhat elite there. On offense Ty has airballed 3 of his last 4 layups, while Carson seems to have broken out of his shooting slump.

Such an odd player. Carson is like a 5 on defense who struggles to rebound, and has the offensive game of a set-shot small forward. He literally has no post game at all but passes extremely well. If he were to continue to hit 40% of his 3's he'd be a nightmare because it pulls a center out on him and he can pass the ball to a weaker interior.

When he's missing his shots he's just a black hole of stat-less minutes. We need our fancy new conditioning director to spend every day of the summer with him... He simply has to get stronger for us to turn the corner next year.

Carson is a big liability on D and the boards. That has to change. He gets a decent amount of blocks per minute he plays, but he also gives up an embarassing number of offensive rebounds/easy buckets.

I mean, he has been, but in the past two games he's looked so much better. He's averaged 6 rebounds in 20 minutes, so if you figure he plays 30 minutes next year, he'll be close to 10 rebounds.

I think his ability to finally knock down some shots has started to wake him up in other aspects of his game. He just looks more energized all around. Really hope he keeps it up and builds on it. Love to see him finally having fun out there.

Carson had a few rebounds in the Duke game that I was pretty surprised at. Would be fantastic if he could gain a little upper body strength and play stronger underneath. I actually think he will pair well with Thomas offensively next season, as DCDeac suggest. Their styles should mesh well together.

I actually thought we did a much better job as the year went on at not giving up lots of offensive rebounds. There's been a marked difference between this year and last year in that regard, imo.

We still give up tons of defensive boards, though, and I think this is a factor of our offense pulling our guys so far away from the basket. We set so many high screens with our bigs that they're rarely around the basket when a shot goes up. I'm not sure how much of this is a big Bz philosophy or an adaptation to the personnel we have on offense, but I hope we run an effective offense next year that allows our bigs to "stay home" more.

The few times we tried this it was a total disaster. Neither of those guys can guard ACC power forwards and we get torched. Ty and Carson are only affective within a 3 foot radius of the basket on defense, with Ty being somewhat elite there. On offense Ty has airballed 3 of his last 4 layups, while Carson seems to have broken out of his shooting slump.

Such an odd player. Carson is like a 5 on defense who struggles to rebound, and has the offensive game of a set-shot small forward. He literally has no post game at all but passes extremely well. If he were to continue to hit 40% of his 3's he'd be a nightmare because it pulls a center out on him and he can pass the ball to a weaker interior.When he's missing his shots he's just a black hole of stat-less minutes. We need our fancy new conditioning director to spend every day of the summer with him... He simply has to get stronger for us to turn the corner next year.

The problem with this is that if any team scouts us at all they will just put a smaller guy on him and make him take contested 3's. He needs to develop some sort of post game to at least keep teams honest.

The problem with this is that if any team scouts us at all they will just put a smaller guy on him and make him take contested 3's. He needs to develop some sort of post game to at least keep teams honest.

100% agree. Gotta be able to keep guys honest. It doesn't even need to be a classic big man drop step game - just develop a jump hook that isn't a fade-away.

I don't think mismatches are necessarily ever a problem. In that case, McKie would end up with a bigger player guarding him on the perimeter, or Moto. If they have to react to our advantage, it will become an advantage somewhere else.
Also, Carson is used a lot for high picks so as long as he's a threat to pass, he's likely to get open or make a play.
I do agree though that the player who can score in a variety of ways is the one that can't be stopped. I'm sure he will work on that and I'm sure Coach Bz would like to see him with an effective post game.

100% agree. Gotta be able to keep guys honest. It doesn't even need to be a classic big man drop step game - just develop a jump hook that isn't a fade-away.

He needs to spend al off-season watching film of Luis Scola. Dude has every move in the book for scoring on bigger, more athletic players without ever jumping or having to leave the floor. It's incredible.

I too think Carson's defensive rebounding has improved as the season has gone on. Coming off the bench has helped him. We had to rely on him way, way too much last year, obviously. Hopefully all the experience he has gained will help us. You can see the light coming on for him a bit, very good to see at the end of his sophomore year. He has the potential to really help us offensively. The real questions is who is going to back him up next year.

Regarding what was discussed on the previous page, with all the experience Travis now has playing the 4, we could see him play there next year a bit, especially against smaller teams. You could maybe have Devin move to the 5 for spells, McKie at the 4, Moto/Rountree, CJ, CMM. That would be a pretty athletic group.

Just quickly on the Carson rebounding thing: I noticed a few games ago that our best offensive rebounder (and it's not close) is inexplicably TC. I don't think that necessarily holds true on the defensive glass, but man, it's astonishing how much better both players would be if you could switch the mentalities, physicalities, and passing abilities of TC and Carson.

I wonder how much our interest in the Martin brothers is playing into seriously offering Mcclinton

Bz watched 2014 PG Shelton Mitchell tonight. He dropped 28.

Yea Shelton is ridiculously good. Might be too good for us honestly. Battle and Larue were also there.

Devonte Boykins also played pretty well. He looks like he's on track to be an ACC player.

(Both of those guys are 2014 PGs. Boykins somehow doesn't have a rivals page yet. Here's Shelton's page.)

Back