• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 6/1/11

DeaconKing

Reaction score

- There are rumors that theres still a postgrad on our radar for 2011. I have been unable to get a name, and one source says there isn’t actually a guy left that makes sense for us. So either that’s the truth or the staff wants to keep things VERY close to the vest.

- Ola Ashaolu (forward) is Oregon bound.

- We would’ve loved for Tomas de Taey (forward) to come here, but transcript issues kept that from happening. Apparently NC State did not share th same problem.

- We are no longer in the running for de Taey’s teammate Marek Soucek (center).

This is old news here, but commit Aaron Rountree (forward) did fantastic at the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions. None other than the host himself was raving about Rountree afterwards.

With at least one scholarship left for this class, it should be clear to all we are taking our time. Minus a few top players, a combo forward seems to be our target.

Stefan Jankovic (forward) is as debated on staff as he is in the rankings. I would still say he is at the top of our list right now, but that’s not as clearcut as it was a couple months ago. The other contender? Arnaud Moto (guard/forward.)

Iowa and Iowa State are getting involved with Kale Abrahamson (forward.) If we don’t land this kid, Coach [Redacted] deserves the assist, he got him on a lot of radars. Same goes with Zach Auguste (forward.)

We’re fighting an uphill battle for Adam Woodbury (center), but that doesn’t mean we are not still trying.

Names to watch: Anton Gill (guard), Major Canady (guard)[/B], and of course, Greg McClinton (forward.) Go get him Aaron!

Patrick Rooks (guard) has committed to Clemson.

The Elite Camp is this Saturday! Should be some great reports coming out of that.

Last edited:
is anyone else having a Wendy's 1980's commercial flashback?

Where's the beef?

We need rebounding and defense muscle, otherwise, we will continue to get pushed around.

Glad to hear good things about Rountree

I've read enough about Tyler Lewis to last me a while. Glad to hear some good news about Aaron. I'm looking forward to seeing him play whenever I get a chance this year.

I thought you guys would like this blurb on Aaron from Bob Gibbons himself regarding the top players from TOC.

Aaron Rountree 6-9 W/PF from Wilson, NC/ Greenfield School
Rountree, a future Wake Forest Demon Deacon, put his amazing athleticism on display throughout the weekend for Team Raptors Elite. He’s a good perimeter shooter who moves like a wing and is a glider in transition. Needs to get tougher in the paint, but gave good effort.

http://www.bobgibbons.net/index.php?/weblog/article/phenoms_take_toc_crown/

What do we know about 2013 PG Tyler Ennis, according to the RecruitScoop he is receiving "Major Interest from Wake Forest"?

From ESPN:

Tyler is a Canadian combo guard who can play either the one or the two but he is more of a scoring point guard. He's a solid shooter with range to 22 feet. He is good in transition and smooth scorer in the paint and from the mid-range. Excellent rebounder for a guard.

Weaknesses:
He's only an average athlete right now. He's also just an average defender.

Bottom Line:
Tyler is a good looking prospect who can really score the basketball. He has top 50-type talent in 2013 he just needs to start putting everything together.

I REALLY hate the term "score the basketball". What the fuck else can you score on the court?

Are there drug dealers at mid-court? Can you put a puck in the net from the FT line?

I mean does anybody know if this is true and has anyone seen him play/what are your impressions.

Also I would think that taking a PG in 4 straight classes might be extreme unless he thinks that the 2 PG's that we have now aren't up to par.

From ESPN:

Tyler is a Canadian combo guard who can play either the one or the two but he is more of a scoring point guard. He's a solid shooter with range to 22 feet. He is good in transition and smooth scorer in the paint and from the mid-range. Excellent rebounder for a guard.

Weaknesses:
He's only an average athlete right now. He's also just an average defender.

Bottom Line:
Tyler is a good looking prospect who can really score the basketball. He has top 50-type talent in 2013 he just needs to start putting everything together.

I REALLY hate the term "score the basketball". What the fuck else can you score on the court?

Are there drug dealers at mid-court? Can you put a puck in the net from the FT line?

I actually think that is allowed in Canadian leagues. Assists also count for a point each, so that may inflate his scoring numbers a bit.

I mean does anybody know if this is true and has anyone seen him play/what are your impressions.

Also I would think that taking a PG in 4 straight classes might be extreme unless he thinks that the 2 PG's that we have now aren't up to par.

Meh, PGs can usually fill in and play the 2 as well. We just need good guards who can handle the ball, period.

From ESPN:

A few years back after several gun instances (Arenas, Crittendon) David Stern mandated that media no longer refer to players as "good shooters" but rather explicitely state that a player could "shoot the basketball." This has derived into the commonly heard term "score the basketball."

If you wish to blame anyone take it up with Stern, or to another degree athletes that felt the need to carry firearms in the clubhouse.

Bring back the Bullets.

I lived in DC when they were getting re-name because the name Washington Bullets connoted too much violence. Someone wrote in the paper, they should just call them the Bullets to fix the problem!

Well one worth passing along. Apparently our guys get to play in the Triad Summer League afterall. Hope this info. is correct.

Back