• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 6/1/11

Another thing that has bothered me about what has happened the last few months in the basketball program is that on the old boards, I watched for years when Dave Odom, Skip Prosser and more recently Dino were grilled on the skillet on a daily basis and where was the athletic department rising up to defend any of these guys? Now with Coach Buzz it seems that the athletic department has deputized their poster friends to go out and stamp out dissention. It is clear how this approach has backfired with these new and improved boards as a prime example.

My only guess is that this was the first time that a coach was grilled before coaching one game... and then had a horrendous season to further fan the flames. Looking at Odom's first year, I do wonder if it would have been any different than what has happened recently.

My only guess is that this was the first time that a coach was grilled before coaching one game... and then had a horrendous season to further fan the flames. Looking at Odom's first year, I do wonder if it would have been any different than what has happened recently.

Maybe that should have alerted the Ath Dept to the monumental fuck up they just did? Instead they went out trying to quash any bad things being said about him, going so far as to screening calls into the coaches show for the first time ever (that many people can recall, at least.)

It's a damn joke.

In Odom's first season, I see one 2-point loss to a mid-major (Richmond), zero losses to low-majors, eight of 12 ACC losses by fewer than fourteen points, and notable improvement to close the year, capped by three straight ACC victories, two on the road. He also had commitments from two guys named Childress and Rogers.

So, yeah, I think the reaction would have been a little different.

Andre is just barely out of the Top 100 on Scout. If he has a good summer and goers up ten slots, how many schools will have three Top 100 players in the 2012 class?

I'd guess less than fifteen. It could be less than ten.

If we sign the kid from VA, how many will have four?

I don't think the defense from the AD has been much different than usual. I just think there was more fan unrest due to the results on the court.

In Odom's first season, I see one 2-point loss to a mid-major (Richmond), zero losses to low-majors, eight of 12 ACC losses by fewer than fourteen points, and notable improvement to close the year, capped by three straight ACC victories, two on the road. He also had commitments from two guys named Childress and Rogers.

So, yeah, I think the reaction would have been a little different.

Odom's first year we had experienced starting forwards in Chris King and sam Ivey. We also Derrick McQueen who had experience.

I bet I'm forgetting a player or two.

GDO had much more experience that season than we did this year.

Andre is just barely out of the Top 100 on Scout. If he has a good summer and goers up ten slots, how many schools will have three Top 100 players in the 2012 class?

I'd guess less than fifteen. It could be less than ten.

If we sign the kid from VA, how many will have four?

How many will have three top 100 kids with none in the top 50?

I hope our guys pan out, but I'm sorry if I don't get super pumped up about having a class where everyone is ranked equivalent to Gavin Grant, Alade Aminu, William Graves, and Kevin Swinton (according to a quick glance at the RSCI rankings).

Any one of the these guys could turn out to be good to great players. But the odds are in favor of them being guys who can be contributors to a good to great team. We already have several guys like that. What we don't have are any guys who appear to be stars on a good to great team.

How many will have three top 100 kids with none in the top 50?

I hope our guys pan out, but I'm sorry if I don't get super pumped up about having a class where everyone is ranked equivalent to Gavin Grant, Alade Aminu, William Graves, and Kevin Swinton (according to a quick glance at the RSCI rankings).

Any one of the these guys could turn out to be good to great players. But the odds are in favor of them being guys who can be contributors to a good to great team. We already have several guys like that. What we don't have are any guys who appear to be stars on a good to great team.

It's not being "super pumped up". It's dealing with the reality that progress is being made.

It's not being "super pumped up". It's dealing with the reality that progress is being made.

What progress is being made? CJ Harris, JT Terrell, Travis McKie, and Carson Derosiers, among others, are all capable of contributing on good to great teams.

We don't have a star (or stars) on the team. Without one, we won't be any good (or at least to the level you and I would want us to reach).

What progress is being made? CJ Harris, JT Terrell, Travis McKie, and Carson Derosiers, among others, are all capable of contributing on good to great teams.

We don't have a star (or stars) on the team. Without one, we won't be any good (or at least to the level you and I would want us to reach).

We didn't have enough bodies last year nor did we have any experience. We got some experience last year and have signed three good players for 2012.

When your program is left in shambles, you have to start over. Very few can do what KY does.

We'll be a bit better this year and in 12-13 or 13-14 we'll be back on solid ground.

I know it sucks to be in this position, but it's our reality.

We didn't have enough bodies last year nor did we have any experience. We got some experience last year and have signed three good players for 2012.

When your program is left in shambles, you have to start over. Very few can do what KY does.

We'll be a bit better this year and in 12-13 or 13-14 we'll be back on solid ground.

I know it sucks to be in this position, but it's our reality.

The bold is where we disagree. I don't think we are better than a bubble team in either 12-13 or 13-14 with the current team and recruits. Absent at least 1 (and preferably 2) Teague/Johnson/Aminu-level killers, we ain't doing better than middle of the pack in the ACC.

Another thing that has bothered me about what has happened the last few months in the basketball program is that on the old boards, I watched for years when Dave Odom, Skip Prosser and more recently Dino were grilled on the skillet on a daily basis and where was the athletic department rising up to defend any of these guys? Now with Coach Buzz it seems that the athletic department has deputized their poster friends to go out and stamp out dissention. It is clear how this approach has backfired with these new and improved boards as a prime example.

Huh? Are you serious. This whole board was created to grill Bzd. NazT who was always a homer, took a position with the university to basically make what he's been doing for 10 years official.

The problem is that the internet matured to the point that it wasn't just Wake grad nerds at work checking out recruiting. Now, it's the kids themselves while they are in class in high school checking out what people are saying about them and the staff of the universities they are considering.

False information has been so consistently posted here and on the old board that people bought into it. Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9-11, Obama is Muslim, and Bzd and Wellman have been best buddies for 25 years.

jay, I was told that it was bad for recruiting to post less than flattering stuff on the free board so I posted on the premium board. Then the powers at be decided to make that the online version of the Gold Rush and here we are.

LOL at the Gold Rush comment. It's funny because it's true.

jay, I was told that it was bad for recruiting to post less than flattering stuff on the free board so I posted on the premium board. Then the powers at be decided to make that the online version of the Gold Rush and here we are.

Part of your problem with posting negative stuff early is that Aaron and Codi were 2*s. You and others were hammering them and the staff.

Now that recruiting gurus have actually seen them play, they are 4*s.

Well, if we sign 2 stars people should be upset. I'm glad they are 4 stars now. I seem to be about the only one to pay for all the recruiting sites so I' ll keep the info I find to myself in the future if you find it so upsetting. As far as the staff comment goes I've never had anything but respect for Coach Battle. Also, save me the you hate Coach Bz reply. I don't find him to be a good match for our HC position no more no less.

What many peopel said about those two was "wait and see. Few people have seen them."

I likened those two to when ESPN had CP3 at #51.

I'll say this - if the subject is recruiting, I'm reading deaclite's posts, because they are informed, and not the emotionally-driven fantasies some other posters (cough cough) pass off as insights.

What many peopel said about those two was "wait and see. Few people have seen them."

I likened those two to when ESPN had CP3 at #51.

First time I remember you saying that about CP3, rj.

Mark Muryama rated CP3 #51. When I called hmi on it he told me he had never seen him play; he was too small and didn't know that Carowhina and others wanted him.

Back