• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 6/1/11

Bring back the Bullets.

HAI! I just crip walked in homie.

Oh shit, you mean THE Bullets not bullets. I agree with both! Seeing J Weezy doing that dance in a jersey with my name on the front and his on the back would be tzight!

A few years back after several gun instances (Arenas, Crittendon) David Stern mandated that media no longer refer to players as "good shooters" but rather explicitely state that a player could "shoot the basketball." This has derived into the commonly heard term "score the basketball."

If you wish to blame anyone take it up with Stern, or to another degree athletes that felt the need to carry firearms in the clubhouse.

Given the user name, I have no idea how to take this post, but I'm going to pos rep him anyway.

Jank goes to heavy Wake lean to open. I guess M.Pope's departure screwed the deal.

Chill, Rick Barry, LD and T-Strick were there, so that's pretty cool. Saw some tweets that Chuk Ogbodo (2013 big) had a triple double in one of the scrimmages. JaQuel Richmond also seemed pleased with himself. Sounds like there was plenty of 2013 and 14 talent there along with our 3 2012 commits.

Ever think we backed off a little as his stock has been dropping like a rock?

I have no idea, but I think DeaconKing's latest post said that the staff was as divided on him as the recruiting rankings have been.

And deaclite's probably right. Jankovic did have that tweet right after Pope's leaving that said his whole recruitment had changed, presumably because of Pope.

Yeah. I think it was posted on the Wake Twitter thread. It's pretty clear our staff doesn't really care about "stock".

I don't know anything about the kid, but I couldn't get over the comments from his coach.

Now he is getting interest from Duke and Unc so he says so I'm not sure about his stock going down or not.

When was the last time K went after someone not in the Top 100 (Curry had played a year in college)?

i'll believe there's interest fomr Duke when he has an official visit.

Jank is getting positive reviews at Pangos and said he almost committed to WF but now is open with a top 5 of Syra.,G-T,Michigan, W.Va and WF. Also, with interest from Duke and Unc. That is what he is saying.

You and others would be going nuts if he had committted and dropped from #50 on Scout to out of the Top 100.

Seriously, why does it matter? He appeared to really like Pope, but now Pope's gone. Moreover, as reported on page 1 of this thread, the staff can't seem to come to a consensus on the kid. If Duke thinks he's awesome, then by all means they can recruit the heck out of him. If we have serious reservations, then we shouldn't. UNC/Duke certainly aren't infallible. They've had their fair share of whiffs over the years.

rj, while I don't care for Coach Bz, I try to be objective about recruiting. Also, I support players who want to come here. I have probably posted more positive info. on our 2012 recruits than anyone. So why are you giving me a hard time about what Jank had to say?

Brick Oettinger said our 2012 class was awful. deaclite posts his very damning article on this board and says that our recruits might lead us to the middle of the ACC pack eventually.

About a month later Brick Oettinger changed his mind. So did Scout. So did ESPN. deaclite says now on a regular basis that our recruits might lead us to the middle of the ACC pack eventually.

To his credit deaclite does post all the good things scouts have to say about our guys but it doesn't change his opinion on how they will help the team.

What do we know about 2013 PG Tyler Ennis, according to the RecruitScoop he is receiving "Major Interest from Wake Forest"?

Tyler Ennis? Love that kid. He plays left wing, though. 5'9" 160lbs. Lot of heart. Good speed. Decent positional awareness. I think Gerbe will prove to be the better player even though he took longer to adapt to this level.

Brick Oettinger said our 2012 class was awful. deaclite posts his very damning article on this board and says that our recruits might lead us to the middle of the ACC pack eventually.

About a month later Brick Oettinger changed his mind. So did Scout. So did ESPN. deaclite says now on a regular basis that our recruits might lead us to the middle of the ACC pack eventually.

To his credit deaclite does post all the good things scouts have to say about our guys but it doesn't change his opinion on how they will help the team.

I wouldn't put it that way FYC, my position is I post what the scouts are saying - good or bad about our recruits and our potential recruits. As to our potential I do think we are headed back to middle of the road status which is better than where we are now. As always, there is evidence we can compete with UNC and Duke for the ACC championship, I would certainly say so. Right now you can see how other ACC programs are on the move in recruiting. VTech just got an international big man,as did NC State as well as a post grad PG and MD hired DC/Baltimore area recruiter -Delonte Hill as an assistant coach. I don't think we are as aggressive as these other ACC teams in improving their rosters for 2011 which is not to say we have not tried, but that we are still going with the same 11 players, so there is no room for error in terms of injuries, departures or what have you, so I think we can get close to 15 wins this year then 20 the following year and 25 or more when the 2010 class are Seniors. I don't see how that analysis is perceived as negative given where we are today. Also, I just wanted to add that the early ACC predictions have us picked last in the conference. That is unbelievable to me, since BC returns less that 10 points a game. So to the outside world, anybody who thinks Wake is on a positive track would be considered a total homer, but on the boards if you are not drinking the koolaid every day you get attacked. I really don't have to prove my Wake Forest fan credentials to anyone.

Last edited:
Another thing that has bothered me about what has happened the last few months in the basketball program is that on the old boards, I watched for years when Dave Odom, Skip Prosser and more recently Dino were grilled on the skillet on a daily basis and where was the athletic department rising up to defend any of these guys? Now with Coach Buzz it seems that the athletic department has deputized their poster friends to go out and stamp out dissention. It is clear how this approach has backfired with these new and improved boards as a prime example.

Seriously, why does it matter? He appeared to really like Pope, but now Pope's gone. Moreover, as reported on page 1 of this thread, the staff can't seem to come to a consensus on the kid. If Duke thinks he's awesome, then by all means they can recruit the heck out of him. If we have serious reservations, then we shouldn't. UNC/Duke certainly aren't infallible. They've had their fair share of whiffs over the years.

Duke dies, but I can't remember that lat guy K signed who wasn't in the Top 100 (other thna Curry who had gone college and averaged 20 ppg).

Carowhina signed Hubert when it looked lke they might lose their entire forntcourt.

Duke dies, but I can't remember that lat guy K signed who wasn't in the Top 100 (other thna Curry who had gone college and averaged 20 ppg).

Carowhina signed Hubert when it looked lke they might lose their entire forntcourt.

Tyler Thornton last year.

Back