• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BB Staff: Woodberry, Ballard, & Bauman (DOBO) join from Tulsa; ChillIN

If Ballard and Woodberry are indeed 1 and 2, Battle is not going to be our third assistant... more-so everyone wants an ace recruiter with a proven track record for the last assistant spot but they'd be over-qualified for a third assistant spot as well.

So it could be Chill, or it could be someone else with hopefully east coast recruiting ties but not much of a proven track record... or basically a non-Wake version of Chill.

Folks with boners for Chill, Rusty, Battle, etc, need to remember that they (Chill and Rusty, specifically) are not scholarship athletes anymore who are bound to one school. They're paid employees. You perform or you get cut loose. We can parse it a million times about how one of them was good at their job and it was just the coach who sucked, but the ship has sunk. Maybe one of them got on a lifeboat, but for now, we should assume that all went down with the ship.

Don't disagree, but each is also an alumnus, so they're one of us. I feel for Rusty, but these guys knew they were taking a risk when they hitched their wagon to a career loser.

I still tend to think if anyone could see the value in retaining Chill it would be somebody like Manning who was essentially in Chill's shoes 10 years ago.

If Ballard and Woodberry are indeed 1 and 2, Battle is not going to be our third assistant... more-so everyone wants an ace recruiter with a proven track record for the last assistant spot but they'd be over-qualified for a third assistant spot as well.

So it could be Chill, or it could be someone else with hopefully east coast recruiting ties but not much of a proven track record... or basically a non-Wake version of Chill.
People are largely guessing that the two current assistants will be 1 & 2. There are two other possibilities: first, that there is no tiered system to the assistants and all of them are of equal level (unless there is an associate head coach). Second, with the whole current staff being pretty inexperienced, Manning may bring in an experienced coach with recruiting skills to be the #1 or #2 and the current coaches will fill in the other spots. Being a #2 on an ACC staff is still a promotion over a #1 in a lower conference.

He did call out Chill in the presser as one of the legacy players. Leads me to believe he is in the chase for the last spot.

Don't disagree, but each is also an alumnus, so they're one of us.

Which just makes them hard to fire when they don't perform. That's not a situation I'd want to be in if I were Manning.

To those complaining about the Tulsa assistants joining the team, they had been on the Kansas bench for several years before joining Manning at Tulsa. I'm not opposed to having coaches who have spent several years learning the Kansas way coaching and evaluating our players. That said, I'd still like to see the third assistant (or first) have recruiting connections up and down the East Coast.

I'll let Manning coach. I will criticize only when and if if his staff doesn't get the job done. But continue...

To those complaining about the Tulsa assistants joining the team, they had been on the Kansas bench for several years before joining Manning at Tulsa. I'm not opposed to having coaches who have spent several years learning the Kansas way coaching and evaluating our players. That said, I'd still like to see the third assistant (or first) have recruiting connections up and down the East Coast.

Unless I'm misreading their bios, Woodberry was never on the bench at Kansas as anything other than a player. The highest position Ballard got at Kansas was a DOBO.

Unless I'm misreading their bios, Woodberry was never on the bench at Kansas as anything other than a player. The highest position Ballard got at Kansas was a DOBO.

"Before his appointment at Baker, Ballard spent seven years on the basketball staff at the University of Kansas. He was the director of basketball operations for two years, and before that he served as the administrative assistant/video coordinator for four years. In 2003-04, Ballard was a student assistant for the Jayhawks after two seasons playing on the KU basketball team."

You are correct on Woodberry but played extremely well on some great Kansas teams. Has coaching experience elsewhere.

Both have light resumes for a #1 and #2 at an ACC school. I believe the coach let go from Tulsa was the #1. Per their board, sounds like the plan at Tulsa was to shift everyone up a spot and hire a new DOBO. I hope that plan has been adjusted for Wake, and we'll be hiring a new associate head coach.

Would love the prospect of LeVelle, but don't know that an AHC position under a fairly young coach is as appealing as it would have been under someone like Howland.

The Self / Brown tree is huge so I am sure that Manning can find someone very well qualified.

Good luck to him. He was an assistant coach on some very good Wake teams. Being an assistant coach for thirteen years at one school (and three different head coaches) is a long time.

Has his son finished HS yet? He might finally be ready yo leave the area. I wonder if Mack could find a spot for him at X?

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Western Illinois head coach Jim Molinari has resigned to take an assistant spot on Tim Miles' staff at Nebraska.

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, LEVELLE MOTON

Back