• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

Devin Mitchell's top 8 in no particular order, per his twitter:

Dev ™© ‏@D_Mitch23
Official 8 (no order)
Kansas St
Memphis
Wake Forest
UAB
Alabama
UGA
Cincinnati
Ole Miss

Very beatable list under normal circumstances.

One of these schools is nothing like the others. Has he visited Wake yet?

One of these schools is nothing like the others. Has he visited Wake yet?

We're almost always the smallest school on someone's list, but holy hell we're tiny compared to those schools. I think the smallest on that list is 24K students. And we're the only Private school. We are going to stand-out from that list for sure...whether that's good or bad is the question.

We're almost always the smallest school on someone's list, but holy hell we're tiny compared to those schools. I think the smallest on that list is 24K students. And we're the only Private school. We are going to stand-out from that list for sure...whether that's good or bad is the question.

I was thinking the same thing. If he's listed us in spite of the small, private school difference then we have an uphill battle. But if that difference is something that turns out to be important to him, you have to think we're in decent shape. And I love that we're the only ACC school on his list

I actually feel like we have a reasonable chance because we really stick out on that list.

Based on a DeaconsIllustrated.com article a month ago, sounds like being the only small/ACC school on his list could bode well.

"I'm more of an expressive person, so a campus with not that many people gives you a chance to kind of know everybody and build relationships. That was great."

"The goal is to go somewhere where I can bring what I do to the team early. That's the main thing I look for. Another important thing is academics. I want be at a school where I can get a good degree and hopefully I can go on to play pro, but let's say that doesn't happen I have something to fall back on. I'm a big competitor, so I kind of want to play in a really good conference, so that kind of goes into factor too and coaching staff as well. Those are kind of the main things I'm looking for."

There was a time when we would have cleaned up with that list of competition. Sad.

There was a time we would have wondered if this kid was legit with that offer sheet.

#15 SG on Scout, #78 overall. #15 SG on Rivals, #58 overall. Not ranked yet on ESPN (as opposed to unranked). Unless he tumbles almost assuredly a RSCI T100 player.

I'm sure he's a solid player. Top 100 guys were down the list fallbacks not to long ago.

Devin Mitchell is a Gary Clark-caliber SG prospect. Gary Clark was hardly the gem of our class of 2007 (JT & JJ).

Devin Mitchell:
ESPN.com: UR, UR
Scout.com: 4-stars, #15 SG
Rivals.com: 3-stars, #130 overall

Gary Clark
ESPN.com: 4-stars, #95 overall, #23 SG
Rivals.com: 3-stars, #147 overall, #25 SG
Scout.com: 3-stars, #24 SG

Even Robert Johnson (#25 SG ESPN, #20 SG Scout, #20 SG Rivals), barring a huge leap in the rankings is a guy that Skip (or Dino) would have secured a commitment from without much thought. I think that's what makes this all the more difficult for me to come to grips with...

It would be different if we were taking about guys ranked top-5 positionally, or even multiple top-50 players. We're not. In fact, we've seriously recruited only one SG in the RSCI Top-50.

Anton Gill - #50 RSCI (#10 SG ESPN, #11 SG Scout, #13 SG Rivals)
Stanford Robinson - #61 RSCI (#19 SF ESPN, #14 SG Scout, #16 SG Rivals)
Tim Quarterman - #74 RSCI (#16 PG ESPN, #18 SF Scout, #13 PG Rivals)
Kam Williams - #76 RSCI (#13 SG ESPN, #23 SG Scout, #21 SG Rivals)

Last edited:
D Mitchell on Wake

Wake Forest: "They need a shooter. They have some really good creators like Shelton Mitchell coming in my year and then Codi Miller-McIntyre and Madison Jones already there, so they got good point guards that just need somebody to get the ball to. ACC is probably going to be the best basketball conference in a couple years, so that's a big deal for me."

D Mitchell on Wake

Wake Forest: "They need a shooter. They have some really good creators like Shelton Mitchell coming in my year and then Codi Miller-McIntyre and Madison Jones already there, so they got good point guards that just need somebody to get the ball to. ACC is probably going to be the best basketball conference in a couple years, so that's a big deal for me."

I know it's just talk, but I really feel good about this case.

Back