• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Imagine if you were a Wake student whose tenure was aligned with [Redacted]'s. You graduate and just like that we start getting good again. Gotta be frustrating.

Welcome to 1985 - 89 and the Bob Staak years! The [Redacted] years were not the first time this has happened.

Imagine if you were a Wake student whose tenure was aligned with [Redacted]'s. You graduate and just like that we start getting good again. Gotta be frustrating.
Class of 2014 here, what up. My years there perfectly aligned with [Redacted]'s. What's done is done though. Let's just be good again.

Remember when people thought Danny Manning wasn't a good choice for our next basketball coach?

This may be a convoluted thought process/post-hoc rationalization but it seems like the recipe for success for Wake (as opposed to Kentucky, for example) is to have the #5 ranked class and to have them stick around for a little longer. Not that I wouldn't take a team of burger boys but, as has been mentioned, a team of 4* with a couple studs who may leave early is a formula we can live with and compete with teams of 5* kids who are here and gone in a year or two. I love the direction of recruiting so far.

Add Kwe, Chill and Giles to 2016 and we'll be a legit contender

Welcome to 1985 - 89 and the Bob Staak years! The [Redacted] years were not the first time this has happened.

No kidding. Staak was as bad or worse than [Redacted] but wasn't exactly an intentionally bad hire like Wellman made. Wake seems to have a very poor perception of how bad hires absolutely destroy athletic programs. We keep doing it.

I love all the quotes from players/recruits talking about manning's playing ability, big man skills, and just getting what it takes. You can't teach that, and is something that is obviously being taken advantage of. Just show up a recruits house pop in the 88 nba draft where he gets picked first, then fire up a little nba jams where he calls dibs on playing as himself and boom commitment sold.

Remember when people thought Danny Manning wasn't a good choice for our next basketball coach?

I was one of them. Was not in my top choices. He hasn't coached a game but he is nailing it recruiting and I'm excited again about basketball. We have a long way to go but I could not expect more out of any coach we hired than DM has given us thus far. Mia culpa.

I love all the quotes from players/recruits talking about manning's playing ability, big man skills, and just getting what it takes. You can't teach that, and is something that is obviously being taken advantage of. Just show up a recruits house pop in the 88 nba draft where he gets picked first, then fire up a little nba jams where he calls dibs on playing as himself and boom commitment sold.

Yes. I really underestimated how well he could sell that. And there are few coaches who can sell a playing career.

+1 for being not sold on Manning, initially. Part of it is getting pumped up for SHAKA and what seems like getting turned down by our top 2-3 guys before hiring a relative unknown quantity but hey, he's doing a great job thus far. If this is a sign of things to come, I'm seriously excited about watching this team grow over the next couple years.

YES! Welcome Collins! Great job to the staff. Very excited! Keep em coming!

+1 for being not sold on Manning, initially. Part of it is getting pumped up for SHAKA and what seems like getting turned down by our top 2-3 guys before hiring a relative unknown quantity but hey, he's doing a great job thus far. If this is a sign of things to come, I'm seriously excited about watching this team grow over the next couple years.

But did Carmelo and Jay Bilas endorse him? Does he have any credentials?!

It will be interesting to watch Manning and Smart's respective career trajectories from here. I won't be surprised to see Manning have more success than Shaka after this year.

It will be interesting to watch Manning and Smart's respective career trajectories from here. I won't be surprised to see Manning have more success than Shaka after this year.

Really? That would mean Manning would have to take us to a Final Four or beyond.

Shaka would've been a great hire. Danny was a lackluster hire, but he's getting the job done on the recruiting front, which is half the battle. Hopefully, he can coach better than Dino.

I like what Manning's done so far, but this is a bit much.

Back