• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Sorry, didn't state that clearly. t am meaning comparing them both going forward after this year. I think Shaka has already seen the height of his success at VCU. I am optimistic that in 2016 and beyond the combination of Manning/Wake > Shaka/VCU.

Sorry, didn't state that clearly. t am meaning comparing them both going forward after this year. I think Shaka has already seen the height of his success at VCU. I am optimistic that in 2016 and beyond the combination of Manning/Wake > Shaka/VCU.

I get this. There's a feeling around some in these parts that VCU's plateaued.

I honestly don't know if any coach in the country could have pulled a better 2015 class to the burning embers of [Redacted]'s dumpster fire

I honestly don't know if any coach in the country could have pulled a better 2015 class to the burning embers of [Redacted]'s dumpster fire

The key point. Superb effort to pull this class.

In fairness to Shaka, he is going to have to do a pretty good job to maintain "plateaued" at VCU. Even with a FF in his back pocket he is not recruiting on the level that I expect a successful Wake coach to recruit. Based on how things are going, I won't be surprised to see Wake with better players in a couple years (Manning has to keep up the momentum, no small task). If Manning has better players, won't be surprised to see him have more success. I don't think that is a stretch. There is a lot left to be proven, but at this point I won't be surprised either way. If our recruiting mojo fizzles with when the reality of this season settles in, the outlook obviously changes.

Both Manning and Clawson may find the recruiting getting tougher after actually having to play games with the poor personnel left to them by their predecessors. Both coaches basically have to start with nearly a bare cupboard and win with less before they can warrant higher talent. Hopefully in Manning's case the reinforcements we have coming in will encourage the 2016 stars we're after.

In fairness to Shaka, he is going to have to do a pretty good job to maintain "plateaued" at VCU. Even with a FF in his back pocket he is not recruiting on the level that I expect a successful Wake coach to recruit. Based on how things are going, I won't be surprised to see Wake with better players in a couple years (Manning has to keep up the momentum, no small task). If Manning has better players, won't be surprised to see him have more success. I don't think that is a stretch. There is a lot left to be proven, but at this point I won't be surprised either way. If our recruiting mojo fizzles with when the reality of this season settles in, the outlook obviously changes.

It's not a stretch or shouldn't be. Wake should recruit circles around any A10 team. There will always be mid majors making deep runs...truly we've had several teams over the years that were FF worthy and for whatever reason didn't make it. But Shaka winning A10 titles the next ten years is pretty irrelevant IMO. If he makes more FFs that would be noteworthy but I'd be surprised to see it happen again. Unless Shaka takes a job in a P5 conference he will quickly be forgotten except with people who think winning mid major games is a big deal.

Late to the party since I've been painting all day, but I'm here to say: FUCK YEEEAHHHHH!!! GO DEACS!!

Great week to be a Deacon! Amazing feeling to have hope again and have the momentum towards relevance in our favor again. Congrats to Coach Manning and all of the assistants for delivering on these talented targets! Feels surreal to have this feeling again of actually getting what we as fans were hoping for!!

Keep it going for 2016 and beyond! Woo boy!!

As we're caught up in the great past ten days, we should remember get Dinos to give up a bunch of money to play pro could have been a first tipoff on Danny.

Wellman will be able to count real butts in seats again instead of the invisible ones. My butt will be coming from Ohio to watch these guys play. Manning is BAWSE. Can't wait to bring my son to his first Deacon game...and have confidence that we will actually win the game. Go Deacs!!!

Now if we could only get rid of Ovations by the time Harry, Kwe and Chill hit the registrar's line to sigh up for classes in 2016!

I love all the quotes from players/recruits talking about manning's playing ability, big man skills, and just getting what it takes. You can't teach that, and is something that is obviously being taken advantage of. Just show up a recruits house pop in the 88 nba draft where he gets picked first, then fire up a little nba jams where he calls dibs on playing as himself and boom commitment sold.

Speaking of quotes, how 'bout these from young Mr. Collins, sage for his meager 16 years:

"I love what’s happening with the good recruiting class coming in, with Doral and Bryant Crawford,'' Collins said.

"To have him back there to help out, that’s huge, because once he develops and starts getting into his body, as well as me, we’ll be a force,'' Collins said.

"First, I love the ACC,'' Collins said. "It’s the best conference in basketball. Coach Manning is a big man, so he knows what to do. The coaching staff, I feel will really be successful.

Speaking of quotes, how 'bout these from young Mr. Collins, sage for his meager 16 years:

All of those quotes are the reason I had optimism from the beginning with Manning. We had very little hard evidence of his ability as a head coach, but it seemed like all the factors of his career were pointing in the right direction. Manning is one of the all time college greats. The current group of recruits know who he is, and more importantly their AAU and high school coaches probably grew up idolizing Manning.

He can get in the door with anyone, which is huge. Chill seems to be carrying his weight as well which is big for us as a program. We need Chill to be great, because he has the ability to be the ultimate recruiter in the ACC. Again - High school and AAU coaches grew up watching Chill shred the ACC. I really don't know anything about the other assistants. I would love for the SID to do a series introducing us to the assistants. Would be a lot of fun. I know I would read it. [someone pass this along....I Think the fanbase would really dig it].

Back