• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Wouldn't 2016 be the honeymoon class?

My impression is that, historically, 2015 would have been the honeymoon class. You can make an argument that with the increasing exposure/camps/pressure earlier in the game, that shifts the payoff back a year. I wonder if that will diminish the honeymoon affect a bit, as players will have a bit more objective proof before they commit, rather than the promises and "upside" of a new coach.

Funny how the narrative's changed on him.
Guess he forgot how to recruit when Bz came to town. Amnesia's a bitch huh.

Eh. Board narratives are funny like that. Here's a summary.

When Skip was hired...

"Oh man, Skip's an awesome recruiter! James Posey and David West!"

After Skip's first three classes...

"Oh wow! Skip kept Vytas Danielius! Skip beat out State for Eric Williams and Justin Gray! Skip got Chris Paul! This guy is awesome!!!!

After Skip passed...

"We'll be alright as long as we keep Skip's staff. No disrespect, but Dino Gaudio was the real ace recruiter. We've got to keep him to keep the AT&T class."

After Dino was fired...

"I know it's weird that [name redacted] didn't bring his own staff, but he had to keep Jeff Battle. Battle is one of the best recruiting assistants in the country! No disrespect to Skip, but Jeff Battle was the real ace recruiter. He would have been a great head coach if circumstances were different when Skip passed."

The biggest problem I see with that narrative is the difference between selling a Skip Prosser coached team versus selling a Dino or Bz coached team. What you're selling matters.

I mean, JB was definitely closer to most of our players than any other assistant. Skip was obviously the most important member of that crew, but JB was a good recruiter. He's also an awesome guy.

Yeah hindsight's helpful in things like that.

Except I recapped things that people actually said. And I never bought the Jeff Battle hype. Some fans will say anything to defend the status quo.

Sweet dude. Add it to your CV.

Always funny when people give me shit for not buying into the hype and then years later they chalk it up to hindsight. You overhyped three guys who aren't even coaching basketball anymore because you wanted to believe. Just admit it and don't make the same mistake again.

Always funny when people give me shit for not buying into the hype and then years later they chalk it up to hindsight. You overhyped three guys who aren't even coaching basketball anymore because you wanted to believe. Just admit it and don't make the same mistake again.

Forgive me Prof. Nostradamus, I just don't recall all of these prophetic statements you made at the time.

Good lord.

:rulz:

I thought the book on Battle was less about talent identification and more about relationship building. He seemed to bring in most of the targets he was responsible for; not sure how those assignments were delegated nor how targets were chosen. That's my outsider take, at least.

tumblr_moixogQT2J1rd35cbo1_250.gif

Except I recapped things that people actually said. And I never bought the Jeff Battle hype. Some fans will say anything to defend the status quo.

Also funny that of all the threads calling for Battle to be our interim coach (or spelling doom if he took another job) you made no claims about "not buying into the hype" and received no shit for it either.

Most on point thing I can find was this:

03-18-2011, 09:36 PM #13
PhDeac

I'm on board with the Buzz out, Battle as interim idea. That's the best one I've heard so far. If it doesn't work, it will at least guarantee we clean house.

38-1

With the offer today, Blake Harris' status on 247 has been changed to "warm" for Wake.

Also Jerry Meyer made a crystal ball prediction that Harris commits to Wake.

http://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Harris-76198

There is some interwebs and twitter confusion as to his classification. It sounds like he initially reclassified as '16 and transferred to Monteverde but ultimately transferred back and stuck with '17. Can anyone confirm?

BBall Recruiting Megathread 2k16 - Danny doin' work

Guys I saw the fatal flaws in the 2008-09 team in December. Just so you know. Y'all would do well to listen to me.

There is some interwebs and twitter confusion as to his classification. It sounds like he initially reclassified as '16 and transferred to Monteverde but ultimately transferred back and stuck with '17. Can anyone confirm?

There are a lot of conflicting reports, but I'm pretty sure he's 2017. All of that can change (eg Jamal Murray), but he's a sophomore as far as I can tell.

Ugh

Dennis Smith Jr. @Jhooper_3 · 7m 7 minutes ago
@TheReal_HG3 @Im_that_dude22 well fellas....

Back