• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Can bagboy nino run the point?

2 for 1?

While not proficient on running the pick'n'roll Bagboy Nino shows promise in recruiting. He has learned from the best in the business, including World Wide Wes, Jeff Capel and Book Richardson. Upon showing his aptitude under such tutelage he was bestowed the new name "Bagboy" Nino. Adding him to the program could ensure a steady stream of instant offense.

wake could actually really use a good bag boy on the recruiting trail

I would imagine most of these grad transfers understand they probably aren't going to make the league and not all of them will or even want to play overseas. That means that some actually want to go to grad school and Wake has some pretty darned good grad programs. I never understood how all these kids are somehow just accepted into a grad school just because the basketball coach wants them. Or do they even go to grad school? I guess they could just take some undergrad classes. I'm just babbling out loud here.

I would imagine most of these grad transfers understand they probably aren't going to make the league and not all of them will or even want to play overseas. That means that some actually want to go to grad school and Wake has some pretty darned good grad programs. I never understood how all these kids are somehow just accepted into a grad school just because the basketball coach wants them. Or do they even go to grad school? I guess they could just take some undergrad classes. I'm just babbling out loud here.

I made a long post on another thread asking similar questions. Nobody has a clue. It's funny that we argue over the same obvious things all the time but when it comes to deeper and more interesting questions nobody actually knows anything.

I know many 5th year graduate student athletes will do our one year MALS. it's primarily a continuing education-type degree, and it's not supposed to be super rigorous. I'm sure there are a few other similar options.

I think plenty of universities have grad programs that aren’t particularly selective. Most college grads can get in and pay for the degree. A college athlete who stayed eligible with a certain GPA and graduated would be more than qualified for such a program.

I made a long post on another thread asking similar questions. Nobody has a clue. It's funny that we argue over the same obvious things all the time but when it comes to deeper and more interesting questions nobody actually knows anything.

I know many 5th year graduate student athletes will do our one year MALS. it's primarily a continuing education-type degree, and it's not supposed to be super rigorous. I'm sure there are a few other similar options.

Syracuse.com examined this issue with respect to its own school. Turns out, all the grad transfers were in a single program that was super-easy.

Syracuse.com examined this issue with respect to its own school. Turns out, all the grad transfers were in a single program that was super-easy.

i.e. Just like the vast majority of undergrad scholarship players, they are there to play ball, not because they want a degree.

Coach K is looking grad transfers he can stash in the Masters in Sociology department.

Woods was a better than average student among WF student-athletes and I would imagine he prioritized basketball and graduate degrees in the following manner:

basketball 100.00%
graduate program 0.00%

I would further posit that incoming potential grad transfer basketball players use the same weighting system

athletes get accepted into a grad school just because the coach wants them, just like generally athletes get accepted into undergraduate school just because the coach wants them

Duke Sociology doesn’t have a Masters program. You can get a MA on the way to a PhD.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - '18 PF Lorng commits! Grad CG Nat Dixon visiting!

I think plenty of universities have grad programs that aren’t particularly selective. Most college grads can get in and pay for the degree. A college athlete who stayed eligible with a certain GPA and graduated would be more than qualified for such a program.

Yep, i just figured this kind of thing is harder to pull off at a place like wake.

Cool, thanks. Do you have a link by any chance? Or know what the program was?

I know that wake has had graduate transfers in non-revenue sports, but they are usually more prepared for grad school and could perhaps succeed in a more rigorous degree program. But I'll be quite honest as someone who's done the athletic and grad school thing separately, at multiple universities, ain't no way i could have handled a proper, full-time graduate year while athleting.

I was also curious in my other thread if smart, academically-accomplished graduate transfers ever use the opportunity to begin or get admitted to more selective programs longer than a year (e.g. MBA, PhD, law). I assume they'd be paying their own way after year one. Hell, if i was a better athlete (and didn't love wake) i probably would have used that to get into HYP even though i didn't have the high school grades.

Last edited:
Back