• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

A lot of Universities use professional Masters degree programs as revenue generators to support their other more academic/research focused programs and those professional degree programs have much lower academic requirements. It's just one example, but we have a non-thesis Master of Natural Resources degree at my university that was started solely because the Dean thought he could attract ~10 students a year to pay full tuition which generates several Teaching Assistantships for PhD students in ecology. We barely review and vet the MNR applicants, no GRE required and something like a 2.5 undergrad GPA.

I think Nevada knows the Martin twins are going pro, probably selling prospects on their season and the fact they will likely be drafted.

A lot of Universities use professional Masters degree programs as revenue generators to support their other more academic/research focused programs and those professional degree programs have much lower academic requirements. It's just one example, but we have a non-thesis Master of Natural Resources degree at my university that was started solely because the Dean thought he could attract ~10 students a year to pay full tuition which generates several Teaching Assistantships for PhD students in ecology. We barely review and vet the MNR applicants, no GRE required and something like a 2.5 undergrad GPA.
Good point...we generally call those "cash cows". Many elite universities (Columbia and Chicago humanities departments are infamous for it) have cash cow MA programs that they use to fund their PhD students. The ethics of this particular practice are debatable, but sometimes paying for that name on your CV and access to top professors can get you into a better PhD program down the road. Columbia famously ignores these MA students entirely while Chicago's MAPH gives students a lot of contact with faculty. Not that student athletes are actually doing any of these programs, but similar principle to the one you describe.

Yep, i just figured this kind of thing is harder to pull off at a place like wake.

Cool, thanks. Do you have a link by any chance? Or know what the program was?

I know that wake has had graduate transfers in non-revenue sports, but they are usually more prepared for grad school and could perhaps succeed in a more rigorous degree program. But I'll be quite honest as someone who's done the athletic and grad school thing separately, at multiple universities, ain't no way i could have handled a proper, full-time graduate year while athleting.

I was also curious in my other thread if smart, academically-accomplished graduate transfers ever use the opportunity to begin or get admitted to more selective programs longer than a year (e.g. MBA, PhD, law). I assume they'd be paying their own way after year one. Hell, if i was a better athlete (and didn't love wake) i probably would have used that to get into HYP even though i didn't have the high school grades.

I don't know your grades, your performance level, or your sport; however, you probably had good enough high school grades to get into HPYSM...if you were a better athlete

Good point...we generally call those "cash cows". Many elite universities (Columbia and Chicago humanities departments are infamous for it) have cash cow MA programs that they use to fund their PhD students. The ethics of this particular practice are debatable, but sometimes paying for that name on your CV and access to top professors can get you into a better PhD program down the road. Columbia famously ignores these MA students entirely while Chicago's MAPH gives students a lot of contact with faculty. Not that student athletes are actually doing any of these programs, but similar principle to the one you describe.

Yeah, I very much dislike the practice. Feels very "University of Phoenix" to me...but as universities are losing state and federal support for research and education programs the institutions are being forced to generate revenue. Universities are more and more being expected to 'run like a business' which completely loses sight of the fact that University objectives are supposed to be education and research. Being run like a business changes the objective of a university.

Good posts birdman and phan.

Wake has a 2.8GPA undergrad requirement for anyone entering a Masters program for an athlete in any sport.

Wake has a 2.8GPA undergrad requirement for anyone entering a Masters program for an athlete in any sport.

Good info. That may narrow our grad transfer pool somewhat.

Sounds like Wake is screwing itself like we did with the vote that kept us from getting Artis Gilmore.

Definitely like when we cut off our JUCO pipeline after back to back ACC baseball championships. We just really embrace losing decisions.

his wristband and the top of the square...

74bd969dde4c80d9864a4403d5468ec0.jpg

Definitely like when we cut off our JUCO pipeline after back to back ACC baseball championships. We just really embrace losing decisions.

Never understood this: we'll take a bb recruit who wants to get the hell out of town to the NBA as soon as possible/ideally after completing only one academic semester, but a guy who has done two years of post-h.s. academics and mostly likely wants to get a WFU degree is locked out.

Never understood this: we'll take a bb recruit who wants to get the hell out of town to the NBA as soon as possible/ideally after completing only one academic semester, but a guy who has done two years of post-h.s. academics and mostly likely wants to get a WFU degree is locked out.

That's a good way to put it.

Back