• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

CatuDeac (from the Scout era) seemingly implied or at least believes it is possible that Lorng still has something to do to fully qualify for Wake.

Last edited:
From a sports viewpoint, Roanoke is not part of SwVA. The Great Southwest has almost exclusively Single A size schools. Between Skip Brown and Josh Shoemaker, Derrick Hord is the only high major MBB recruit who I can recall (and he was on the TN side). Football is a slightly different story with Jason Witten and Heath Miller being local guys who made good recently.

tags fan is right - although it would probably be more correct to say that Gate City isn't part of SW Virginia rather than Roanoke. Clinch Mountain division teams (and other District D teams) don't really go far out of that region, rarely going further north than Abingdon. For out of conference games, they usually play Va High out of Bristol and other A District D teams, and occasionally will play some of the smaller NE TN teams.

And Skip Brown was from Kingsport, which is a 5A school in TN, whole different ballgame. Dobyns-Bennett in Kingsport and Science Hill in Johnson City have decent basketball. For a while in the mid 90s, there was always a big Science Hill v. Oak Hill game that was pretty competitive.

I am going to go on record as bullish on this coming year. We are going to exceed expectations by a lot. We are replacing unassertive talent and cocky all me talent with less yalenyed (and experienced) smart assertive players. 18+ wins.

I am actually excited to see Childress leadership 20 years later. Male no mistake- this is his team. He needs to show more maturity than first two years.

I am going to go on record as bullish on this coming year. We are going to exceed expectations by a lot. We are replacing unassertive talent and cocky all me talent with less yalenyed (and experienced) smart assertive players. 18+ wins.

I am actually excited to see Childress leadership 20 years later. Male no mistake- this is his team. He needs to show more maturity than first two years.

How exactly do you know this? We've barely seen any of them play enough minutes to judge. Hoard is coming in, not even ranked Top 20 in his class, and exclaiming in interviews that he will be one and done. He may be great. He may be a headcase. He may be all about himself. We have no idea what next years team is going to look like.

The only thing we know now is that collectively the team will have few years of playing BB at Wake Forest.

ETA:
BChill - 2
Brown - 1
Sarr - 1
Eggleston - 1
Okeke -1
The rest - 0

Last edited:
How exactly do you know this? We've barely seen any of them play enough minutes to judge. Hoard is coming in, not even ranked Top 20 in his class, and exclaiming in interviews that he will be one and done. He may be great. He may be a headcase. He may be all about himself. We have no idea what next years team is going to look like.

I don't "know" it. I think it, just like you think we will suck. You don't know we will suck. Nobody does. It is an opinion. Half wish half opinion, honestly.

I am not talking Hoard, I am talking the less talented talent we have coming in via grad transfers + frosh we weren't expecting much from (Lewis + Looring + Wright Jr.).

We had a chemistry issue last year. Not an excuse. That is on Manning. Essentially with these transfers, Manning gets a reboot on chemistry. He wants to prove he's an ACC coach, then he gets to work with new clay that should include NBA talent in the form at least 1 possibly 4 players (Hoard, Sarr, Brown, ?).

Totally admit this is as much wishful thinking as anything, and I love to run counter arguments and am totally suspicious of group think on here and elsewhere, so will happily admit I'm wrong when proven to be wrong, but obviously I hope I am not. I loved Crawford but was really frustrated with his olay defense. Again, THAT is totally on Manning on staff to not get him to play consistent D. Especially when he was really good at getting timely steals, anticipating inbounds passes for steals, etc... It was a focus issue with him. I was impressed with what Manning and staff did with Moore but don't find him to be an athlete who loves the game of basketball. It is what you do when you are 7-feet tall.

But you can do a lot with 10 kids who want to be at Wake and want to earn minutes and/or excel to fulfill their NBA dream.

Last edited:
So I guess we should hear something about Bey soon. we are listed as warm on 247 and he had an unofficial yesterday. We could sure use another 4 star player, regardless of position.

Danny clearly wants a team full of lengthy guards and wings.

Chill/Lewis(?)/Wright(?)
Brown/Johnson
Hoard/Mucius/Bey
Sarr/Hoard
Smart/Sarr/Okeke

Something like that looks like it could compete for 8th-10th place in the ACC. Lofty goals!

I don't "know" it. I think it, just like you think we will suck. You don't know we will suck. Nobody does. It is an opinion. Half wish half opinion, honestly.

I guess I was confused by the use of the word "are."

So I guess we should hear something about Bey soon. we are listed as warm on 247 and he had an unofficial yesterday. We could sure use another 4 star player, regardless of position.

Danny clearly wants a team full of lengthy guards and wings.

Chill/Lewis(?)/Wright(?)
Brown/Johnson
Hoard/Mucius/Bey
Sarr/Hoard
Smart/Sarr/Okeke

Something like that looks like it could compete for 8th-10th place in the ACC. Lofty goals!

Can never have too many good small forwards on your team

Is it possible that if NC State waives the one-year requirement, he would be immediately eligible?

When discussed in the past, I'm pretty sure the conclusion was that this is an ACC rule. It matters not what NC State does/says.

When discussed in the past, I'm pretty sure the conclusion was that this is an ACC rule. It matters not what NC State does/says.

Correct. It is an ACC rule and he'd have to show some hardship to have it waived. An ACC review board would rule on the hardship request. Not sure how stringent they are on granting waivers.

Has nothing to do with recruits reading the board. It has to do with how miserable you guys make this thread.

We’d all love to discuss good news. Bring it if you got it. In the absence of good news, we will discuss the absence of good news.

Do people see the Johnson transfer as more of a PG or a 2G?? Looks like he lead his team in scoring last year and was over 40% from 3 range and has decent size @ 6'3", so he has to hit the court running for Deacs to have any chance of avoiding a disaster of a season. The way Danny likes to play 3 guard it would seem Chaundee would then get most of your mins @ the 3G/SF and Hoard @ the 4 with Sarr manning the center position and then you could move Chaundee to 2G when Johnson sits and switch around Hoard/Mucius @ 3/4 with Smart getting minutes @ the 5 to relieve Sarr. Unless he really wants to play Sarr @ the 4 then seems we would be limiting the minutes of our longer more athletic players and relying more on Smart and Sunday at center?? Seems you want to maximize Chaundee and Hoard's minutes as much as possible and potentially Mucius if he shows he is ACC ready out of the gate.

Correct. It is an ACC rule and he'd have to show some hardship to have it waived. An ACC review board would rule on the hardship request. Not sure how stringent they are on granting waivers.

If he has to sit out a year, I'm not sure why he'd even look at another ACC school. If he also loses a year of eligibility, it would be moronic to stay in conference. There must be at least a chance he could get a waiver.

Back