• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Bey: Danny, come recruit me.
Manning: I can’t, ACC makes you sit out a year.
Bey: I got my hardship waiver approved.
Manning:
3b22d97b5f5782d0d648ced8a4a67637.jpg

I love how we can have the exact same discussion on Bey’s situation multiple times, yet it turns into a shitstorm every time. Even when there is zero new information.

NCSU grants him a full release and he starts looking at other ACC schools.

Everybody understands the ACC bylaws, but there is no clarity on its application to this particular set of circumstances.

We just have to wait and see. I mean, we can argue what should happen, but nobody here knows what will happen (yet).

What I want to know (and probably never will) is if Bey is being honest when he says he wanted to leave NCSU for a couple of weeks before it was announced (which just happened to be when SKJ transferred). Seems like there were insiders at NCSU that knew this before SKJ transferred, so perhaps it’s the truth.

Hope we land him. We need depth.

Given what NCSU people have told us message board peons, it was a mutual decision. I haven’t looked any of the dates up to fact check but the story is as follows: Bey was really troubled by the NCAA stuff that came out as well as the large number of Wings Keatts brought in and continues to recruit. He was originally a big Miami lean and dropped them in his original recruitment after their NCAA stuff came out. He let NCSU know he didn’t want to be there and NCAA issues were main reason. This was right before a something like a month long dead period started (do dead periods count if the kid has already signed a LOI? Not sure on that and could make this story rubbish). Keatts said sit on it during the dead period and think it trhough, if you still don’t want to be here we will give you a release. Somewhere in all of that SKJ happened and staff thought he was a better fit for the team they were going to need in 2 years so we’re fine taking SKJ regardless. SKJ came on board along with the UCF transfer. The way it looked SKJ got a scholarship before Bey committed but his scholarship was always there. The one that opened up with Bey leaving was for the UCF grad transfer. Timing of each just made it look weird.

Again, no clue if that’s all true but is the red tinted glasses version. Y’all need to get some actual sources over here so I can stop giving y’all the NCSU version all the time lol.

Our sources are good when we don't suck. Haven't had good sauce in damn near a decade.

Given what NCSU people have told us message board peons, it was a mutual decision. I haven’t looked any of the dates up to fact check but the story is as follows: Bey was really troubled by the NCAA stuff that came out as well as the large number of Wings Keatts brought in and continues to recruit. He was originally a big Miami lean and dropped them in his original recruitment after their NCAA stuff came out. He let NCSU know he didn’t want to be there and NCAA issues were main reason. This was right before a something like a month long dead period started (do dead periods count if the kid has already signed a LOI? Not sure on that and could make this story rubbish). Keatts said sit on it during the dead period and think it trhough, if you still don’t want to be here we will give you a release. Somewhere in all of that SKJ happened and staff thought he was a better fit for the team they were going to need in 2 years so we’re fine taking SKJ regardless. SKJ came on board along with the UCF transfer. The way it looked SKJ got a scholarship before Bey committed but his scholarship was always there. The one that opened up with Bey leaving was for the UCF grad transfer. Timing of each just made it look weird.

Again, no clue if that’s all true but is the red tinted glasses version. Y’all need to get some actual sources over here so I can stop giving y’all the NCSU version all the time lol.
Dead periods only pertain to face-to-face contact & evaluations, so assuming Bey & Keatts communicated on the phone or through email/social media, the dead period has no effect.

Dead periods only pertain to face-to-face contact & evaluations, so assuming Bey & Keatts communicated on the phone or through email/social media, the dead period has no effect.

I assumed the logic was that he couldn't be recruited by other schools during the dead period, so he might as well use that time to think about whether he really wanted out of his LOI.

I assumed the logic was that he couldn't be recruited by other schools during the dead period, so he might as well use that time to think about whether he really wanted out of his LOI.
Well, technically he could have been recruited by other schools during the dead period (with the same in-person prohibitions) if he had been released from his LOI. But regardless of the exact timing, the overall story makes sense.

Well, technically he could have been recruited by other schools during the dead period (with the same in-person prohibitions) if he had been released from his LOI. But regardless of the exact timing, the overall story makes sense.

Yeah, I should have said "recruited effectively".

Saddiq Bey would have been a great name for a 90s R&B artist.

Interview with Jalen Lecque - https://247sports.com/Article/One-On-One-With-2019-Five-Star-CG-Jalen-Lecque-118796364

Can you describe some of the benefits USA Basketball has for players?

It’s benefitted me in a lot of ways. With the gym being open all the time it’s been great to work out, having coaches here like Danny Manning, all the coaches really and even guys like Greg Anthony here to give you pointers, you get the best of both worlds from coaching from both the big man standpoint and guard standpoint.

That article makes it seem like Lecque would have reclassified to 2018 if Duke needed him.

Glad you guys posted that here. I hadn't noticed it, and it's on my network. I threw it on my front page just now, but it was sooooooo Duke-centric. The author is a recruiting analyst for the 247Sports Duke site, so he didn't ask anything applicable for other schools in the least, so it really gives us no long-view indication where Lecque stands at all. But the USA Basketball stuff was useful. Thanks again!

Back