• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I agree with Creamy. If Chill can learn to play within himself, I think he can be a very good leader and facilitator on this team. Not a top point guard in the ACC by any means - but a good one.

Think this is true too.

Think the OOC schedule will have a few good teams but will mostly be littered with complete cupcakes a la Bz's last year. Without knowing the full schedule yet, I'll go 9 OOC wins and 6 conference wins for a completely uninspiring 15 wins. Bye, Daniel.

I could see Ron keeping Danny if he gets to 15 wins. #progress

I hope everyone here understands that Manning will most likely remain the Coach at Wake after next season even if there isn't any improvement in the W-L record. He actually may be here for at least several more seasons.

Of course. He will have overachieved with a young squad after early departures. All ronnie needs is an explanation that sounds reasonable with no follow up or deeper dive into the context.

I know we will most likely stink, but I am excited about see this young team play. I still believe that if Manning can't make the tournament this season that you can't give him another (but I also agree that if we show any improvement in the W/L category that he will get another year). I just hope that Manning keeps hitting the recruiting trail. If we continue to bring in quality players, then regardless of what happens with Manning, we will be well suited for the next coach.

If we continue to bring in quality players, then regardless of what happens with Manning, we will be well suited for the next coach.

If Manning doesn't win, and win big, the next coach will be a reboot. Recruiting talent without wins is highly unlikely anyway. Even if there is some talent left on the bench, it will very likely transfer away when Manning is fired. Manning isn't building the next coach's team. Every season Manning stays around prolongs the time until we can reboot the program with a capable coach.

Be prepared for a season where WF doesn't lose to the likes of Liberty and Drake, and WF doesn't blow every game that it leads in the last 5 minutes, and as a result, progress is claimed.

WF so woefully under-performed in the W-L column in 2017-18 that even with lesser or, at best, equal talent on hand, the team will likely have a better record next year (not talking NCAA tourney; just talking hovering around .500; irrelevant post-season tourney bubble status). The thing is that everyone's view of the WFBB program is so dim right now that simply beating bad teams (like Liberty and Drake) and hanging on for a win or two among the several winnable games that WF blew late will be enough to keep the staff in place.

My guess is that the only chance for a change after next season will come if: a) WF is horrendously bad (think Pitt last year; low-major losses; 3 or fewer ACC wins); b) a scandal. If WF putters in next year with a 15-16 record (or 16-15 record) 6-12 in conference (which won't be that hard, as there are a handful of ACC teams with major problems next year, and as awful as WF played, WF was in position to win more than half its ACC games last year), don't see WF making a change.

We shall see, but think that those predicting an abysmal season next year may not appreciate how bad an ACC team has to be truly abysmal. If WF is something just less than mediocre that will be enough.

I hope everyone here understands that Manning will most likely remain the Coach at Wake after next season even if there isn't any improvement in the W-L record. He actually may be here for at least several more seasons.

I have reason to believe this is not accurate, although how much improvement will be required remains to be seen.

If Manning doesn't win, and win big, the next coach will be a reboot. Recruiting talent without wins is highly unlikely anyway. Even if there is some talent left on the bench, it will very likely transfer away when Manning is fired. Manning isn't building the next coach's team. Every season Manning stays around prolongs the time until we can reboot the program with a capable coach.

This is the truth. I cannot understand why some posters think Manning can build a team for the next (hopefully competent) coach.

We lost most of the team this year even without a coaching change. Hoard has stated his intention to leave as soon as it becomes feasible.

Get a competent coach who does not create a corrosive environment and maybe something can be built.

How about this as an Omen of Things to Come:

Manning and crew spent a lot of time watching Team Rio and their big man Aiden Igiehon this past AAU season. He released his top 10 today and not only is Wake Forest not in his top 10, but Pitt and Georgia are. Our current staff is full of complete duds.

I look forward to our "less than mediocre" season followed by Hoard going one-and-done but not deciding til the last minute in late May, which keeps Manning around til then, after all of the good young coaches have been poached, leading to a completely suckass 2019-2020, delaying the inevitable reboot another season.

betterphan, you can figure out that run-on sentence on your own time.

Last edited:
I look forward to our "less than mediocre" season followed by Hoard going one-and-done but not deciding to the last minute in late May, which keeps Manning around til then, after all of the good young coaches have been poached, leading to a completely suckass 2019-2020, delaying the inevitable reboot another season.

betterphan, you can figure out that run-on sentence on your own time.

Lol, what make you think i care about run-on sentences. I do them all the time

I'm not as concerned about depth as some. duke plays 7 some seasons. Manning often plays too many people that don't look like they are playing well enough to deserve those minutes.

Right. Our talent doesn’t reach as deep as we expect Manning will go. We are going to play some walkons because we don’t have enough talented depth.

Back