• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Hoping that a good season is around the corner because of the young talent we have isn’t as painful as reality, I’ll grant some of you that... but that young talent is young. Replacing Bryant and Moore’s production from last year (and even Keyshawn’s to a certain degree) is not going to happen immediately.

We were in games towards the end and poor in-game coaching decided a lot of those Ls down the stretch. We now have an unproven lineup at a numbe of critical positions and some expect us to be right back in the mix for those close games? I just don’t see it.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong...but if we are going to suck, I prefer that we suck big time so we can move on from DM. I fear we are one good coach and another 3-4 years away from being relevant again even after that.

To be fair, we got a five star guard. Not quite "nothing." Though he may not still be around when BC's four star guard shows up on campus.
Who had Brown as a 5 star? I thought he was 4 at most ranking services.

I was thinking of Hoard. I guess he's a SF? Anyways, my point was basically that it's silly to say we've got nothing if the comparison is a similarly ranked kid at BC. Who knows how good Hoard will actually turn out to be.

I was actually surprised to see Hoard’s position classified as PF when the most recent rankings came out, FWIW. Apparently analysts reclassified him as a PF because that’s the position Manning is going to have him play.

We've got a four star guard.

(Better response, really. This one work for you, racer?)

Works for me. I had never seen Hoard classified as a guard, hence the question. Then again, positions are just social constructs meant to be ignored at Wake Forest basketball.

Given the way basketball is going why wouldn't you want to play a 6'8 long athlete who can dribble and shoot at PF? Won't you guys have Sarr at like 6'11 7'0 at C? I see it as a positive to have Hoard at PF especially if he can stretch the floor like it seems. Will open everything up.

Would think Hoard will be a good fit at PF. He is very versatile and will get us points, rebounds, blocks, assists you name it and I think he will deliver. Alas, he is only a frosh.

Given the way basketball is going why wouldn't you want to play a 6'8 long athlete who can dribble and shoot at PF? Won't you guys have Sarr at like 6'11 7'0 at C? I see it as a positive to have Hoard at PF especially if he can stretch the floor like it seems. Will open everything up.

This is my thought as well.

We should really be able to stretch the floor this season. Everyone in our starting 5 can knock down the 3.

Manning was touting Brown, Childress and Sarr in his recent interview with Andy Katz. He said Sarr was currently over 230lbs. and getting stronger. Also, I thought Mucius looked good in the Iverson all star game. He hit 5 threes and played a smart steady floor game. Still, seems like we are a year away from being good. That’s hard to accept as a fan.

Wendell Carter's parents are going off on Coach K the last few days. Major headline on yahoo with quotes from both parents. Let's just say they aren't Coach K fans. At all. They also seem like work, to be honest. Hard to keep parents happy. I give you Key Woods as Exhibit A.

Not a good look though for Duke as they try and stack 5stars like kindling to keep up with the jones (read: Kentucky). I still think this is undercutting Coach K's legacy and Duke will fall off a cliff when he dies/leaves. Not to 12-21 necessarily, but they won't be able to maintain the 5star factory and will have blown up their development pipeline that sustained them for Coach K first 30 years at Duke.

Last edited:
Manning was touting Brown, Childress and Sarr in his recent interview with Andy Katz. He said Sarr was currently over 230lbs. and getting stronger. Also, I thought Mucius looked good in the Iverson all star game. He hit 5 threes and played a smart steady floor game. Still, seems like we are a year away from being good. That’s hard to accept as a fan.

Yep. "Just Wait til' Next Year". WF fan slogan since 1905.

Wendell Carter's parents are going off on Coach K the last few days. Major headline on yahoo with quotes from both parents. Let's just say they aren't Coach K fans. At all. They also seem like work, to be honest. Hard to keep parents happy. I give you Key Woods as Exhibit A.

I'm 100% OK with this.

I'll take a disgruntled 5 star players family over a disgruntled Woods family all day every day.

I didn’t intend to make my post about Hoard at PF sound like a negative. I only meant that he had been classified as a SF throughout the entire recruiting process until the last update. I really like him as our PF.

The “actually” was just in response to wakephan saying he was a SF. No negativity intended!

Thanks for finding and posting that, Wrangor.

The article's transition defense stat (#310 in the country: 1.10 per possession) really jumped out.

Back