• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

We do now though.

The only thing that keeps me from worrying about recruiting is that we haven't taken any commitments from the Richard Washington's of the 2019 class yet. by this time in 2016 we had already filled 50% of our open schollies with 200+ level recruits.

I am not confident about the Myrtle Beach trip. Depends on the draw, but I view 1-2 as likely, w/ 2-1 a good result.

I don't think we'll lose any non-conference home games, but Davidson is probably the leading candidate for a slip-up there.

In terms of recruiting... It'd be nice to get a decent Top 150ish commit in the next month or so, but I suspect we'll wait to see how the more elite visits go before moving down the list a bit. I think Manning probably understands that it behooves him to bring in a very good class this year. His leash is ever-shortening.

Yeah that worries me too. But I think losing those first two games last year fucked with our team’s head going into that tournament.

Starting with a win this year, no matter how shitty, should help a little. That, even a little urgency, and Hoard’s raw talent should be enough to get us through the first two games of the tournament, even if Manning otherwise shits the bed.

5-star big Armando Bacot is going to commit to UNC today. This will crowd up their frontcourt and possibly take them out of the running for Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. Kansas and UNC are currently seen as the favorites to land him, due to their ties to his father Lester Earl who played at Kansas under Roy Williams. We are seen as a dark horse, but as the chips begin to fall I don't mind winning the recruitment of a 5-star forward by default. This program is due for some good luck.

UNC's front-court is awful. Doubt Bacot committing will have any effect on what Robinson-Earl will do. Robinson-Earl is better anyways.

No we don’t. A year ago, Hoard was considered a lock.

Our list of visits and appearances on final lists seems in line with some of our better classes and are far better than in 2016, based on the little research I’ve done.

The timing is later, but not unusually so. Chaundee, Moore, Crawford, and Collins all became “locks” much later in the process than Hoard. And they all, including Hoard, flipped from likely going elsewhere to lock or committed status fairly quickly.

Yeah that worries me too. But I think losing those first two games last year fucked with our team’s head going into that tournament.

Starting with a win this year, no matter how shitty, should help a little. That, even a little urgency, and Hoard’s raw talent should be enough to get us through the first two games of the tournament, even if Manning otherwise shits the bed.

Wake has to play an always well coached St. Joseph's team to start it off. If they somehow win that game, they most likely face UCF who is the preseason favorite to win the American Conf (over Cincy & Wichita St). I expect Hoard to be the best player we've had suit up in quite awhile, but doubt his raw talent is going to overcome those 2 obstacles. It would be sweet if it was the case though and then we could get revenge on WVU in the finals.

Do we?

It's nice to be getting visits, but it feels more like we're hoping to bag a longshot than just sealing the deal w/ players where we are the favorite.

Cautiously optimistic over the next 2 months.

I don't think people understand how far into the cycle we are. At this point last year, Wright had committed awhile ago. Hoard was pretty much a lock. Mucius was very likely unless he didn't want to play with Hoard. We were worried about Laszewski going to ND but still had a chance. Bell Biv Devoe jokes about Mike Devoe were a regular thing.

This was a realistic post from exactly a year ago:
Gotcha. Hope it pays off. Devoe, Wright, Hoard, Mucius, Laszewski would be one heck of a class.

Is a course really required if you can place out of it?

Do you have to ask questions when it's not really a key point of discussion? You tell me, I figured you would know smarty pants. But aren't you a millennial who went to school in the last 10-12 years? This was 20+ years ago, forgive me for having killed enough brain cells at Wake to not remember the names of all my courses.

And not that it matters, I was a little busy senior year playing on the golf and baseball teams to go along with my other 3 AP classes. Really pissed me off that my Euro History didn't get me out of the World History requirement...guess I botched the essay on the Spanish Revolution since I didn't have the fortune of RChill to drill me in the art of expository writing!! ;-)

UNC's front-court is awful. Doubt Bacot committing will have any effect on what Robinson-Earl will do. Robinson-Earl is better anyways.

Guess it depends on his mindset. Some one-and-dones want to play with a team full of other big name players while others want to stand alone and showcase themselves. It would be obvious he could get more playing time here and be showcased more. UNC doesn't have the best frontcourt but he would still be sharing playing time with Bacot, Garrison Brooks, and Sterling Manley. Add that they may also have a backcourt of Coby White and Josh Green and now touches aren't guaranteed. Just a potential advantageous recruiting pitch, but who knows, they could also say selling shoes and fake classes aren't the same as manslaughter.

Wake has to play an always well coached St. Joseph's team to start it off. If they somehow win that game, they most likely face UCF who is the preseason favorite to win the American Conf (over Cincy & Wichita St). I expect Hoard to be the best player we've had suit up in quite awhile, but doubt his raw talent is going to overcome those 2 obstacles. It would be sweet if it was the case though and then we could get revenge on WVU in the finals.

Good points, but how experienced is St. Joe's returning squad? Hopefully they aren't great from the arc. I was being grossly optimistic in giving them 2 wins in the tourney, didn't realize UCF was that good. Oh boy.

Our list of visits and appearances on final lists seems in line with some of our better classes and are far better than in 2016, based on the little research I’ve done.

The timing is later, but not unusually so. Chaundee, Moore, Crawford, and Collins all became “locks” much later in the process than Hoard. And they all, including Hoard, flipped from likely going elsewhere to lock or committed status fairly quickly.
Well that's just wrong.

I don't think people understand how far into the cycle we are. At this point last year, Wright had committed awhile ago. Hoard was pretty much a lock. Mucius was very likely unless he didn't want to play with Hoard. We were worried about Laszewski going to ND but still had a chance. Bell Biv Devoe jokes about Mike Devoe were a regular thing.

This was a realistic post from exactly a year ago:

Can you give us the timeline for 2017 and 2015? Seems like both of those progressed on a much later timeline.

And no offense to Sharone, who I actually think could be a nice role player for us in the future, but he’s exactly the kind of commit people are concerned about Manning signing right now.

Can you give us the timeline for 2017 and 2015? Seems like both of those progressed on a much later timeline.

And no offense to Sharone, who I actually think could be a nice role player for us in the future, but he’s exactly the kind of commit people are concerned about Manning signing right now.

I'm not going back and looking at the threads. Melo committed in April and Chaundee committed in October. Obviously Sarr committed late.
https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

Collins, Moore, and Crawford all committed within a few weeks in Sept/Oct.

If this class follows those trends, the heart of the class will commit in the next 8 weeks.

Do you have to ask questions when it's not really a key point of discussion? You tell me, I figured you would know smarty pants. But aren't you a millennial who went to school in the last 10-12 years? This was 20+ years ago, forgive me for having killed enough brain cells at Wake to not remember the names of all my courses.

And not that it matters, I was a little busy senior year playing on the golf and baseball teams to go along with my other 3 AP classes. Really pissed me off that my Euro History didn't get me out of the World History requirement...guess I botched the essay on the Spanish Revolution since I didn't have the fortune of RChill to drill me in the art of expository writing!! ;-)

No, I just always think it’s funny when people brag about their college grades (or their senior year of high school). And I’m being an ass.

did you go to Wake in the early 90's? No, didn't think so. Things change but it was nearly 25 frickin years ago; I don't remember the name of the course, but it was a req at the time if u didn't take AP or sum shit

Seems like you remember just fine.

I'm not going back and looking at the threads. Melo committed in April and Chaundee committed in October. Obviously Sarr committed late.
https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

Collins, Moore, and Crawford all committed within a few weeks in Sept/Oct.

If this class follows those trends, the heart of the class will commit in the next 8 weeks.

Agree. I’m glad we finally have some positive buzz about the class before heading into this critical period.

While we may be far into the cycle, the next 2-3 months are when the majority of the class will take visits and make decisions. I understand the negativity, but I'm not throwing in the towel on the 2019 class until I see how everything unfolds.

Agree on Hoard. Mucius was not a lock, though we did have a poster that made us feel good about where we stood, even post Hoard. I remember thinking X was more likely than Wake around the time he actually committed.

I really think Laszewski and Devoe are going to be excellent college players... and probably immediately. Both of those misses sting. Thanks for bringing them up. Like pouring lemon juice on a paper cut.

Back