• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

So our new players this year are:

Jaylen Hoard - day 1 starter
Isaiah Mucius - rotation, possible starter at some point
Torrey Johnson - rotation combo guard
Ikenna Smart - rotation big, possible starter

Sharone Wright Jr. - unsure of this year, but so far so good in what I have seen.
Jamie Lewis - question mark but stroke is pure for a PG
Michael Wynn - late signee, nice size.

Andrien White - next year

I like our newcomers. Smart and Johnson could be playing above their league but for a 1 and a 2 year gamble when we need depth now, it is a decent bet. I think all 5 freshman have some really interesting qualities. Hoard and Mucius are locks to be solid contributors with potential for all ACC kind of play. The other three all bring something unique to the table so it will be interesting to see them match up in real play.

I have a good feeling about Wynn on the court. I have a bad feeling about Wynn in the classroom. Hopefully he can make much of his opportunity.

Is he the worst ranked basketball player in Deac history?

Maybe, if you go by national ranking.
If you go by 24/7 composite rating, it's not even close. We've had guys MUCH lower than his .8528. And Wynn also had some interest from other decent schools, once he decommitted from ECU.

Other recent low ratings:
Miles Overton .8532
Donovan Mitchell .8513
Mitchell Wilbekin .8429
Rondale Watson .8228

No Omar Payne, No Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. Its Trayce Jackson-Davis or bust. The great developer of big men Danny Manning doesn't seem to cashing in on his reputation.

By ranking, he's the 2nd worst at 419 in 247's composite rankings to Daniel Green's 422, and just behind Rondale at 393. #HangIt

Lets not forget this award winning statement:

"This staff can recruit. This staff can coach," Wellman said. "This staff can do all of the things that need to be done to build a championship-caliber program."

By ranking, he's the 2nd worst at 419 in 247's composite rankings to Daniel Green's 422, and just behind Rondale at 393. #HangIt

Nothing like sports to exhibit trying to use subjective, imprecise rankings to try to reach an objective conclusion. At least KenPom uses hard data (although Mark Twain would probably still prefer the eye test in making his bracket picks).

mkhcmq.png

Wynn’s not a bad looking player. Good shot, not real fast, dribbles too high with his left hand. Maybe a John Toms role player as he gets stronger.

Nothing like sports to exhibit trying to use subjective, imprecise rankings to try to reach an objective conclusion. At least KenPom uses hard data (although Mark Twain would probably still prefer the eye test in making his bracket picks).

Yeah, it means pretty much nothing outside of the top 150 or so... Everything else is a crapshoot.

The kid doesn't look like a complete stiff... Had some interest from other schools. I think Wrangor is probably right... If he can stay in school, he might an eventual contributor. Sort of like a Cornelius Hudson... Not saying similar skill set, just saying similar situation.

Lets not forget this award winning statement:

"This staff can recruit. This staff can coach," Wellman said. "This staff can do all of the things that need to be done to build a championship-caliber program."

Is that quote from the Wynn announcement?

Yeah, it means pretty much nothing outside of the top 150 or so... Everything else is a crapshoot.

The kid doesn't look like a complete stiff... Had some interest from other schools. I think Wrangor is probably right... If he can stay in school, he might an eventual contributor. Sort of like a Cornelius Hudson... Not saying similar skill set, just saying similar situation.

I played against Hudson after he was dismissed but was still on campus. He would go to the new courts they built at Reynolds Gym. Had good handle and could finish at the rim but his shot had a weird spin on it that led to a lot of close misses. Was a solid backup level ACC wing though. Don't expect Miek Wynn to get there, but would be a pleasant surprise if he could give us 8 and 3.

Back