• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Sorry to interrupt...

Last edited:
I might suggest that it's reflective of a staff making a living off of having an NBA veteran as head coach, while working at an ACC school with exceptional facilities

You say this as though he should apologize for being one of the bea college players of all time and a #1 pick. He earned his basketball reputation.

Secondly, out facilities don’t give us any advantage. We have competitive basketball facilities, but they aren’t the reason anyone comes to Wake.

You say ‘make a living’ as a criticism. It is the exact reason Manning has upside. He still has to be a better coach, but if he can become a better coach he has an inherent advantage over almost every coach hat walks into the living room of a young man looking to play college basketball.

He still has to win. If he doesn’t he won’t last, but your condescension on his career isn’t really fair.

Just a summation of facts I think most people didn’t already know that give context to a stat people post on here ad nauseum (apparently just for fun and not in support of some broader argument.

It also refutes the general conclusion that it was obvious, even back in 2015, that Manning wouldn’t get anywhere close to being a successful coach at Wake. Or the conclusion that, in hindsight, he was light years away from finding success here.

His margin for error was always thin, and unfortunately he could quite get within that margin.

Who has made that conclusion?

You say this as though he should apologize for being one of the bea college players of all time and a #1 pick. He earned his basketball reputation.

Secondly, out facilities don’t give us any advantage. We have competitive basketball facilities, but they aren’t the reason anyone comes to Wake.

You say ‘make a living’ as a criticism. It is the exact reason Manning has upside. He still has to be a better coach, but if he can become a better coach he has an inherent advantage over almost every coach hat walks into the living room of a young man looking to play college basketball.

He still has to win. If he doesn’t he won’t last, but your condescension on his career isn’t really fair.

I don't think he should apologize. I just think it's the only thing out staff has going for it. I don't think they are particularly good recruiters. And we know they aren't particularly good at winning. Any success they've had has been as the result of Manning being Manning and Wake being Wake. And that one season of limited success has only met the bare minimum of expectations for Wake Forest basketball. We need a lot more than that to compete at the top and this staff has not shown themselves capable over quite a long period of time at this point. Manning being Manning isn't enough to build a winning program, and Manning doesn't bring much else to the table. Sure, IF he could coach his career would be an advantage, but he can't...there is no "not yet" to be discussed anymore.

I don't think he should apologize. I just think it's the only thing out staff has going for it. I don't think they are particularly good recruiters. And we know they aren't particularly good at winning. Any success they've had has been as the result of Manning being Manning and Wake being Wake. And that one season of limited success has only met the bare minimum of expectations for Wake Forest basketball. We need a lot more than that to compete at the top and this staff has not shown themselves capable over quite a long period of time at this point. Manning being Manning isn't enough to build a winning program, and Manning doesn't bring much else to the table. Sure, IF he could coach his career would be an advantage, but he can't...there is no "not yet" to be discussed anymore.

Manning being Manning is like saying Shaq was only good because he was 7’0 / 280lb and had the feet of a point guard. Natural advantages count.

You have ended Manning’s career, I get it. But Even if he is let go from Wake, which seems likely, it would not shock me to see him have success elsewhere. While not young in age, he is young in head coaching years and that makes a huge difference. He has a lot of coaching years left, and in my opinion a lot of room to grow.

I'm sure he'll find a place on a bench somewhere and get another head coaching job by the time he's 60. He'll be fine.

Another close, but no signature on the dotted line. We just get close but can't seem to close the deal

I'm not sure that this commitment really fits your narrative, Bud. We have some prospects. Let's see what the staff can do with them. Ph's post somewhere above reflects my thoughts on our overall situation pretty well.

With the negativity (vis-a-vis recruiting) surrounding the Jamil Jones situation coupled with our horrible year last season, I think it wise we head to Europe and try our luck there. Really don't think we get anyone prominent over here that we are recruiting currently (with the possible exception of Dearon Tucker). Added to the aforementioned issues, I also know for a fact that a lot of schools are recruiting negatively against Manning telling recruits " why go there when he won't be there but one more year". We are in a very tough spot

Last edited:
Of course they are. Yet another reason we needed to fire Manning.

Are you saying we should move the whole program to Europe or recruit players from Europe ? I'm down with either one. I really like Italy.

Reactions: Ayo
Dearon is transferring to Legacy Early College high school for his senior year. Located in Greenville SC.

There’s very little info out there about Tucker.

Dearon is transferring to Legacy Early College high school for his senior year. Located in Greenville SC.

Yes I know, it is the same school Sharone went to last year. Have to think we "encouraged" this transfer which should put us in a very good spot

Certainly. We are going to end up with somebody.

Back