• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

With the negativity (vis-a-vis recruiting) surrounding the Jamil Jones situation coupled with our horrible year last season, I think it wise we head to Europe and try our luck there. Really don't think we get anyone prominent over here that we are recruiting currently (with the possible exception of Dearon Tucker). Added to the aforementioned issues, I also know for a fact that a lot of schools are recruiting negatively against Manning telling recruits " why go there when he won't be there but one more year". We are in a very tough spot

Rivals has him as the #35 player in TX. 247 has him at #234 nationally.

So, in essence, you're contending that all our recruiting hopes and prayers depended on a new associate coach who had been at Wake for 1 year as opposed to Randolph Childress' and Danny Manning's recruiting ability?

So, in essence, you're contending that all our recruiting hopes and prayers depended on a new associate coach who had been at Wake for 1 year as opposed to Randolph Childress' and Danny Manning's recruiting ability?

No, he's contending that when one of our coaches kills someone and our program sucks monkey nuts, it's difficult to recruit players whether Jones was the lead recruiter for them or not.

If we can't get a 6'10" power forward, whose only other offers/interest are with DePaul and Baylor, to come play for Danny Manning, we are in worse shape than I assumed.

This program is dead. Danny would have to pull another miracle out of his ass to get a Harris/Jackson-Davis combo to commit. Unlikely at this point. Time would be better spent creating a thread analyzing future potential head basketball coaches, then discussing 2019+ recruits or the likelihood this years' team finishes above .500

This program is dead. Danny would have to pull another miracle out of his ass to get a Harris/Jackson-Davis combo to commit. Unlikely at this point. Time would be better spent creating a thread analyzing future potential head basketball coaches, then discussing 2019+ recruits or the likelihood this years' team finishes above .500

These types of posts are so weird. I can’t imagine going through life so confidently pessimistic. If we start signing a bunch of 3 star recruits or whiff on all our OV’s then the chicken little act will make sense. I don’t think anyone on here can make more than an educated guess about where we stand re: the 2019 class, and even that’s being generous. Just relax.

Yeah, I get the skepticism around the program but we are getting OVs OR making the final lists of guys that we didn't even know we were recruiting on these boards until the prospect made the announcement. We don't really know what's going on as far as recruiting goes.

Last edited:
We know we’ve already whiffed on a lot of players.

These types of posts are so weird. I can’t imagine going through life so confidently pessimistic. If we start signing a bunch of 3 star recruits or whiff on all our OV’s then the chicken little act will make sense. I don’t think anyone on here can make more than an educated guess about where we stand re: the 2019 class, and even that’s being generous. Just relax.

[Reagan voice] “There you go again...”

Ok, so if a solid class doesn’t materialize in the next few months, will you come on here and say, “You’re right. There was reason to be concerned and I shouldn’t have told you not to be concerned (aka told you how to feel)”? No. You will say, “At the time, we didn’t know, so I was correct to say you should chill.”

That is your entire MO. Determine what the rest of us are or are not allowed to feel. If we are proven correct about Manning’s recruiting or coaching, you say, “Well, the evidence wasn’t there yet, so your opinion lacked merit.” Even when there’s plenty of evidence for us to be concerned about various aspects of Manning’s skill set.

Even if he does come out with a solid class, there is still reason to be concerned at this stage, and voice it. I would come on the boards and say, “I genuinely didn’t think he could pull out this class. Good for him, and us. I don’t think he will know how to coach them up and get us where we want to be as a program, but at least he got them in the door.” And move on.

Why do you feel you’re the appointed arbiter of others’ opinions? Why are you not able to say, “I see his recruiting differently - I’m more optimistic. I guess we’ll see.” You have this need to try to silence and mock doubters, to make yourself feel smart I suppose. Odd.

It’s annoying. But only like a pesky mosquito is annoying.

It could be argued that the staff got started early on signing those 3 stars by trying to build out a 6-man class with Wynn and Lorng who were both lacking on the basketball and academic side of things.

I can make more than an educated guess, because I have tracked all the players we've offered, knew about the guys whose lists we were going to make, and know who we've spent the most time on. 2 guys are left that we've spent a lot of time and that have yet to commit - Anthony Harris & Wendell Moore. Moore is going to Duke and Harris is likely going to VTech, although we and Miami have an outside shot. Other than that the only other top 50 guy in play is Jackson-Davis, a heavy Indiana lean who we offered while Danny was coaching him for USA basketball. Massoud is going to Rutgers, and he is not as new of a name as some people around here might think. Other SFs we offered and won't get are Chris Ledlum and Terrence Shannon. Tre Mitchell isn't coming here. Dahmir Bishop isn't coming here. If I had to bet, I don't think we get any top 100 players at this point. Meanwhile watch as Louisville and Dino laugh to the bank with the class they are about to pull for 2019.

We've already missed on some great players like Caleb Mills, Omar Payne, and Kadin Shedrick. Our "recruiting momentum" died the same day Szabo did. By March Manning will be jobless, Jones will be looking for a plea deal, and Wellman will still think he is the greatest AD in the world. Regardless, I know you are just trying to get as many posts in as you can before March. I don't even know what position you are trying to defend anymore, I just know you like to pick losing arguments.

Reactions: Ayo
I can make more than an educated guess, because I have tracked all the players we've offered, knew about the guys whose lists we were going to make, and know who we've spent the most time on. 2 guys are left that we've spent a lot of time and that have yet to commit - Anthony Harris & Wendell Moore. Moore is going to Duke and Harris is likely going to VTech, although we and Miami have an outside shot. Other than that the only other top 50 guy in play is Jackson-Davis, a heavy Indiana lean who we offered while Danny was coaching him for USA basketball. Massoud is going to Rutgers, and he is not as new of a name as some people around here might think. Other SFs we offered and won't get are Chris Ledlum and Terrence Shannon. Tre Mitchell isn't coming here. Dahmir Bishop isn't coming here. If I had to bet, I don't think we get any top 100 players at this point. Meanwhile watch as Louisville and Dino laugh to the bank with the class they are about to pull for 2019.

We've already missed on some great players like Caleb Mills, Omar Payne, and Kadin Shedrick. Our "recruiting momentum" died the same day Szabo did. By March Manning will be jobless, Jones will be looking for a plea deal, and Wellman will still think he is the greatest AD in the world. Regardless, I know you are just trying to get as many posts in as you can before March. I don't even know what position you are trying to defend anymore, I just know you like to pick losing arguments.

Unless you are on the coaching staff, I doubt it. If you’ve done as much research as you claim, then, at best, you are making an educated guess. That doesn’t account forthat most of the reports you’ve read about recruiting are themselves educated guesses.

No point, really, it just strikes me as weird. I don’t get people that feel the need to pretend like they know something definitively that they can’t possibly know definitively.

[Reagan voice] “There you go again...”

Ok, so if a solid class doesn’t materialize in the next few months, will you come on here and say, “You’re right. There was reason to be concerned and I shouldn’t have told you not to be concerned (aka told you how to feel)”? No. You will say, “At the time, we didn’t know, so I was correct to say you should chill.”

That is your entire MO. Determine what the rest of us are or are not allowed to feel. If we are proven correct about Manning’s recruiting or coaching, you say, “Well, the evidence wasn’t there yet, so your opinion lacked merit.” Even when there’s plenty of evidence for us to be concerned about various aspects of Manning’s skill set.

Even if he does come out with a solid class, there is still reason to be concerned at this stage, and voice it. I would come on the boards and say, “I genuinely didn’t think he could pull out this class. Good for him, and us. I don’t think he will know how to coach them up and get us where we want to be as a program, but at least he got them in the door.” And move on.

Why do you feel you’re the appointed arbiter of others’ opinions? Why are you not able to say, “I see his recruiting differently - I’m more optimistic. I guess we’ll see.” You have this need to try to silence and mock doubters, to make yourself feel smart I suppose. Odd.

It’s annoying. But only like a pesky mosquito is annoying.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

If you read my posts on here and feel some pressure to feel or respond a certain way then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not trying to silence anyone (if anything I want people to be more vocal in voicing and defending their opinions, especially their shitty ones) and if I tell you to relax I mean it as some friendly advice not some sort of commandment that I think you must follow.

It could be argued that the staff got started early on signing those 3 stars by trying to build out a 6-man class with Wynn and Lorng who were both lacking on the basketball and academic side of things.

I could see that with Wynn (though I don’t agree) but not Lorng (who it appears isn’t coming).

Lorng was recruited at the last minute to provide some break in case of emergency frontcourt depth and serve as a big body in practice. If anything, his recruitment could be viewed as very shortsighted (at least some posters made that argument at the time).

I could see that with Wynn (though I don’t agree) but not Lorng (who it appears isn’t coming).

Lorng was recruited at the last minute to provide some break in case of emergency frontcourt depth and serve as a big body in practice. If anything, his recruitment could be viewed as very shortsighted (at least some posters made that argument at the time).

They can also be viewed as, and have been argued as, desperation moves. Moves that would put non-ACC caliber players into scholarship positions that Wake should be able to fill with ACC caliber players if we weren't a dumpster fire program right now.

They can also be viewed as, and have been argued as, desperation moves. Moves that would put non-ACC caliber players into scholarship positions that Wake should be able to fill with ACC caliber players if we weren't a dumpster fire program right now.

Yeah that’s where I was going with Lorng. I don’t think either are very compelling arguments, but they do appear to be mutually exclusive.

The most likely explanation is that Manning thought both guys could help the program (either in the short term or long term) and that holding onto scholarships for next year is generally stupid.

Honest question, since you appear to be very well educated about Wake recruiting: Do you have any insight as to why top 100 players are bothering to visit and list us if it is painfully obvious that our program is a complete dumpster fire?

What the fuck are you even talking about?

If you read my posts on here and feel some pressure to feel or respond a certain way then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not trying to silence anyone (if anything I want people to be more vocal in voicing and defending their opinions, especially their shitty ones) and if I tell you to relax I mean it as some friendly advice not some sort of commandment that I think you must follow.

Phew! Thank goodness. It’s okay, everyone - turns out he’s just been giving us his friendly advice!

Back