• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Tyrese Samuel and Cole Anthony are the only remaining Top 100 players listed as "warm" on 247.

Tyrese has an offer and an official back in early September. At this point, I assume he's just waiting for a better offer to come along from a team that missed on their first target. Seems like he's saving his officials. The speculation in the past is that we're behind UConn anyway. Doesn't look like he's had much to say or any visits since his visit to Wake, so I'm not sure how up to date his "warm" list is anyway.

Cole ain't coming to Wake.

Louisville just landed a top 50 recruit. #2 class in the country now.

Mack must be doing a good job of convincing recruits nothing further will come from the Adidas scandal impacting Louisville.

Last edited:
Concern became more than speculative once Harris and Moore committed elsewhere.

Reasonable speculators weren’t deluded enough to think Harris and Moore were coming here.

It’s ok to admit you were hoping for an unlikely outcome and it didn’t work out.

As much as he tries to claim it's all about stats and data, I think RChill is mostly just a really hopeful person searching for obscure numbers the justify his hope.

As much as he tries to claim it's all about stats and data, I think RChill is mostly just a really hopeful person searching for obscure numbers the justify his hope.

Yep. I wish he would just admit he’s a sunshine clubber and stop trying to justify it. If you have to pull out stats to show Manning is better than [Redacted], you’ve already lost.

Looks like Wake will be dropping from our customary 11-14 place in the conference to dead last in the near future.

Manning sucked with average to decent talent. I can't imagine what he will do with really bad talent.

Wellman is truly a moron.

Yep. I wish he would just admit he’s a sunshine clubber and stop trying to justify it. If you have to pull out stats to show Manning is better than [Redacted], you’ve already lost.

And the only way to make a strong case is by avoiding won-loss records.

To be fair, when the next coach informs these guys that their scholarship will not be renewed, it will be a big step in preparing them for when the ball stops bouncing. Manning is just following through on his stated goals.

I don't know what I'm more concerned about...the fact that we offered these guys or that they haven't committed within minutes of receiving our offer.

Racer just dropping truth bombs in this thread

Reasonable speculators weren’t deluded enough to think Harris and Moore were coming here.

It’s ok to admit you were hoping for an unlikely outcome and it didn’t work out.

Of course I was. That’s been the story of Wake Forest recruiting for at least the last decade. It’s fairly rare for Wake to be considered “likely” to land any individual top 100 recruit until shortly before that recruit commits. I’m sure for almost every top recruit we’ve landed over the years you could find someone claiming that recruit wasn’t coming to wake before they committed.

The hope is always to give yourself enough unlikely but plausible chances at top recruits and hope that probability wins out, hopefully creating some likely chances along the way.

Dinner conversations around the tables of recent Wake offers:

"Do I accept the offer from Directional State University and start building a relationship with the Coach DSU now, or do I accept the Wake offer, enjoy an official and a couple unofficial visits to see and play in their facilities this fall/winter, and then go beg Coach DSU for a scholarship in March if Manning is fired."

Of course I was. That’s been the story of Wake Forest recruiting for at least the last decade. It’s fairly rare for Wake to be considered “likely” to land any individual top 100 recruit until shortly before that recruit commits. I’m sure for almost every top recruit we’ve landed over the years you could find someone claiming that recruit wasn’t coming to wake before they committed.

The hope is always to give yourself enough unlikely but plausible chances at top recruits and hope that probability wins out, hopefully creating some likely chances along the way.

Hmm. When I and others said it wasn’t looking like a good class coming together because we were continually missing out on top prospects, RChill the Official Board Gatekeeper™️ told us it was too soon to make that call. Now you’re saying you knew they were never likely to come.

So once again, many saw the shortcomings of DM spelling bad news down the road toward the beginning of his tenure, just like we saw the likely outcome of this class toward the beginning of the recruiting period. And we’ve been right twice. But in both cases you told us we couldn’t make those cases until you’d granted permission for us to do so.

Thanks for all the entertainment! It’s been a source of distracting delight in these dark basketball times.

You have to admire the beauty of RChills position.

You being able to accurately read the tea leaves and see a myriad of deficiencies in manning's coaching is just you being a pessimistic fan since the data is still incomplete.

If somehow Manning accomplishes the unlikely and has a measure of success, RChill is vindicated. If his failure continues, RChill is still vindicated as your position was premature while his position became clear with just the right amount of information.

To those with limited vision, foresight appears unjustified.

For a more extreme version of this, see Wellman: Ronald.

Yep. One of the common sayings on the Scout boards was "Anyone can predict failure."

Not really. I think it’s more likely than not that Wake never gets back to the Odom/Skip/Dino level, much less competes for National Championships. Sure, I choose to be very optimistic at the beginning of each season, but that’s not based on analyzing data or determining probable outcomes, I just find that being optimistic about trivial matters is a more enjoyable way to go through life.

Y’all want to paint me as the equivalent of the [Redacted] sunshine brigade because it would be more convenient if that were true.

I think Manning was a bad hire and that his chances of getting the program back anywhere close to the Odom/Skip/Dino range were never much more than 50/50. His best season was barely average for that era and he’s been heading in the wrong direction since then on the court and recruiting trail (the latter certainly linked to the former).

I use “obscure stats” (a laughable claim in 2018) like Kenpom because they are more accurate from both a predictive and retrodictive standpoint, making them a better indicator of team quality, than other measures (including w/l record across various sample sizes). Those stats have flaws, which I have routinely noted even when they make Manning look worse.

I’ve never ignored Manning’s flaws as a coach, or data about his tenure. I’ve simply pushed people to consider all of the data and weight and analyze it in a reasonable way. If you come to the conclusion that Manning’s tenure has been anywhere near the level of failure that [Redacted]’s was, then you certainly haven’t done that.

I’ve called on Manning to be fired midseason if he starts this one the same as last one and at the end of the season if he doesn’t meet certain benchmarks on the court and the trail. I wouldn’t have complained had he been fired after the exodus this offseason. It will be pointless if the current administration is still in charge, but the “right” move nonetheless.

Manning is easy to criticize, which makes the obscure and asinine ways y’all come up with to criticize him seem so bizarre.

Yep. One of the common sayings on the Scout boards was "Anyone can predict failure."

image.jpg

Back