• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Best shooters at WF since 1968: CD, Willie Griffin, Eddie Payne, The Skipper, Schellenberg, Rudd, Helms, Craig Dawson, Larue, Chill, Taron, CP3, Teague, Harris. The best of the best: CD, Skip, Chill.

No Justin Gray??? Looking it up, I see Taron’s career % was higher but anyone who watched those teams knew JGray was the best shooter on the team.

Justin was a better scorer than Taron, but not as pure a shooter.

Are you implying Justin was a great slasher? No. Come on. Dude was as pure a shooter as they come.

Another name in the conversation should be Ricardo Peral. Over 50% from three with 100 attempts in 95-96. He's probably top 10 or so.

No, I'm saying he was a combination of shooter and scorer.

Taron shot better from three, FT and much better from two than Justin.

The each played four years. Those stats have some meaning.

Rudd was not a great shooter; more of a scorer. Frank Johnson should definitely be on your list.

Mike Helms had a .504 FG percentage for his career. Not a high volume guy and his post-college troubles tend to color our perception of him but he could shoot.

For me, to make this discussion clearer, I need to define some criteria. Mine are:

Open gym, no defenders. 100 shots, none closer than the free throw line, at least half threes. Who makes the most?

Scorer: In game, defended, defense knows your "the guy" and you take and make shots.

ETA: Some guys can be both. Chill is one of those.

Didn’t see CD but Skip was the best I have seen over many years.

Mike Helms had a .504 FG percentage for his career. Not a high volume guy and his post-college troubles tend to color our perception of him but he could shoot.

Yes, Helms belongs on the list too. I hope he has gotten his life straightened out.

No Frank Johnson? Good lord man.

Agree. I left out a few. Did it off the top of my head. That 76-77 team with Skip, Frank, Schelly, Leroy and Rod could score like crazy at 4 positions. If only Tim had been on that team instead of Harrison.

Agree. I left out a few. Did it off the top of my head. That 76-77 team with Skip, Frank, Schelly, Leroy and Rod could score like crazy at 4 positions. If only Tim had been on that team instead of Harrison.

And that has been the story of Wake basketball. Always missing a critical piece. 76-77, no good center.

95 &96 - missing good, big bruising PF.

For just pure, in the gym shooting, I think I might have CP3, Craig and CD.

People forget CP3 shot 47% on threes for his two years at Wake.

Mark Cline was a great shooter when he was healthy! Also, Cal Boyd and Rod Watson were good shooters on some bad teams.

I think Rusty's 3 pt % was pretty high. Role player but besides Duncan, only one from that era that played in the NBA.

For me, to make this discussion clearer, I need to define some criteria. Mine are:

Open gym, no defenders. 100 shots, none closer than the free throw line, at least half threes. Who makes the most?

Scorer: In game, defended, defense knows your "the guy" and you take and make shots.

ETA: Some guys can be both. Chill is one of those.

CD on both counts.

Contenders for both...

CD 24.9ppg*...46.0% FG...87.3% FT*...30 point games (22)...40 point games (3)...50 point games (1)*.

SB 18.8ppg...50.7% FG...83.6% FT...30 point games (7).

RC 18.4ppg...44.6% FG...80.4% FT...30 point games (7)...40 point games (1).

Paul Long 23.1ppg...50.8% FG...85.1% FT...30 point games (7).

Tony Byers 19.9ppg...47.6% FG...72.8% FT...30 point games (5)...40 point games (1).

*...school career record.

CD played three years. Long and Byers played two years. I never saw Long, Byers or Brown. Long and Byers had no help. CD had a little. Brown and Childress had plenty of help. CD's numbers stand out but Long is a revelation. I heard stories about Long vs. Pearl from upper class men but not after CD arrived. Any insight on Long and Byers would be appreciated from witnesses.

Last edited:
CD on both counts.

Contenders for both...

CD 24.9ppg*...46.0% FG...87.3% FT*...30 point games (22)...40 point games (3)...50 point games (1)*.

SB 18.8ppg...59.7% FG...83.6% FT...30 point games (7).

RC 18.4ppg...44.6% FG...80.4% FT...30 point games (7)...40 point games (1).

Paul Long 23.1ppg...50.8% FG...85.1% FT...30 point games (7).

Tony Byers 19.9ppg...47.6% FG...72.8% FT...30 point games (5)...40 point games (1).

*...school career record.

CD played three years. Long and Byers played two years. I never saw Long, Byers or Brown. Long and Byers had no help. CD had a little. Brown and Childress had plenty of help. CD's numbers stand out but Long is a revelation. I heard stories about Long vs. Pearl from upper class men but not after CD arrived. Any insight on Long and Byers would be appreciated from witnesses.

Paul Long transferred from Va. Tech. He played with Bob Leonard, so he had some help, just not much inside. When Tony Byers transferred in, team was pretty bad. Both were big time scorers.

Back