• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

I remember that too. I remember Odom did have trouble between Ricky Peral and landing Josh Howard frequently being criticized not having that wing player. Odom himself, as I recall, lamented his inability to fill that position and was so happy when Howard signed.
As for anything griped about "not recruiting whites or blacks" I don't remember anything specific at the time. I only started hearing stupidity along those lines much later during the early Prosser Era. And, unfortunately, I can't remember what way it went.

Shon Coleman was supposed to be the "athletic wing" we had been missing. But he didn't qualify or something like that and he went to UGA.

The vast majority of Odom's commits after Duncan left were NC or international players. He struck out with almost every non-NC US player he offered. Sometimes it worked out like getting Josh Howard after Matt Carroll verballed to ND. Broderick Hicks is the only non-NC US player I can remember from Odom's last few years.

Found out Hicks was named to the Sports Business Journal 40 Under 40 last year. He's a VP of Brands for Wasserman, a sports marketing firm. https://www.bizjournals.com/losange...e-broderick-hicks-vp-of-brands-wasserman.html

Cool for Hicks. I always liked Broderick. Wasserman is one of the few of those sports marketers type companies that I actually recognize when I see the name.

Stringfellow was from Texas too. And Robert O'Kelly was from Memphis, White Station.
Though they may not be as late tenure as you're thinking.

Oh, and Harvey Hale was from New Mexico, or was he all Prosser?

Last edited:
Harvey was recruited by Skip's staff.

Harvey's dad is a big guy and was wearing a huge watch when we saw him in Anaheim.

the thing I will always remember about Broderick Hicks is that one time he got a ten-second violation while trying to get the play from Odom

White black green yellow orange.... well maybe not orange. If they can play I Don't Care

Cool for Hicks. I always liked Broderick. Wasserman is one of the few of those sports marketers type companies that I actually recognize when I see the name.

Stringfellow was from Texas too. And Robert O'Kelly was from Memphis, White Station.
Though they may not be as late tenure as you're thinking.

Oh, and Harvey Hale was from New Mexico, or was he all Prosser?

Yeah. I was thinking players who verballed after Duncan left. Stringfellow played with Duncan. The O'Kelley class came right after Duncan left. So starting with the ABCDE class of Antwan Scott (New Bern), Broderick Hicks (Houston, TX), Craig Dawson (Kinston), Darius Songaila (Lithuania), and Ervin Murray (Teachey).

the thing I will always remember about Broderick Hicks is that one time he got a ten-second violation while trying to get the play from Odom

Yeah. It's a shame that's the enduring memory. I don't even remember which game that was.

When he was recruited, he was billed as Odom's "first true point guard."

I was playing 7th or 8th grade YMCA ball. I asked the coach not to play me so I could go down to the lounge only to watch ROK drain a triple to tie it and Duhon to break our hearts. Will never forget that one.

Easiest coaching decision that Coach ever made.

Wasn't it Hicks who was hip checked into the scorer's table by boozer.

Soph Emoni Bates won Gatorade's NPOY. He's the first soph ever to win and a main reason the NBA is moving to allow HSers to go directly to the NBA. Over the next two years, he could get as much hype as Lebron did.

Soph Emoni Bates won Gatorade's NPOY. He's the first soph ever to win and a main reason the NBA is moving to allow HSers to go directly to the NBA. Over the next two years, he could get as much hype as Lebron did.

Bronny has already gotten more TV time than Lebron did at the same age. The times have certainly changed.

Bates dominated Bronny in a game a few months ago. I think Bronny is a frosh vs. Bates being a soph.

Back