• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, Charlie Harrison, Georgetown transfer was in his sit out/ redshirt year the same season Childress was rehabbing his knee. At the end of the season, those two were destroying Wake's starting guards in practice.

I think you take Mac if he's ready to commit to Wake, and unfortunately that would probably leave no room for Whitt. I'd take whoever commits first if they are both interested.

I think you take Mac if he's ready to commit to Wake, and unfortunately that would probably leave no room for Whitt. I'd take whoever commits first if they are both interested.

Mac is a PG who is good at dunking. OK from 3 (32%), but not a good shooter overall (39%). 1.33A/TO ratio.

So where would he play? Neath is the obvious PG. Mac is a PG as well. He started his two year at Georgetown until his injury.

I think you could play them both. Neath has decent size. Forbes ran with Tray Boyd and Daivien Williamson in the back court last year, both of whom handled it a lot. Boyd, Williamson, Tisdale, and Good were all good ball handlers and played a ton for ETSU last year, on the court in a lot in different combos.

Last edited:
I think you could play them both. Neath has decent size. Forbes ran with Tray Boyd and Daivien Williamson in the back court last year, both of whom handled it a lot.

Exactly. At Georgetown Mac ran the backcourt with James Akinjo, who was a shoot-first PG. Neath and Mac could work better off each other because they are more willing passers. Both have the size and athleticism to guard either spot, and the skills to play either the primary or secondary ball-handler. Wouldn't be an issue.

I really like McClung and think the UNLV transfer fills a need. Most likely not as a starter but a role player who can give you 15mpg or so depending on the game situation.

ETSU's top 5 minutes guys last year were all guards, all between 23 and 30 mpg. Boyd and Hodges had a little better size, but Williamson, Good, and Tisdale are all 6'2" or smaller, I think, so I think Forbes can sort it out and doesn't mind maybe not traditionally sized combinations -- we can reminisce about the Paul/Gray/Downey backcourt. All the ETSU guys handled the ball a lot, too, in the three/four games I watched.

Anyway, tangent. Back to recruiting. Get dudes who can play! Worry about the rest later.

Evan Daniels, 247 Basketball Recruiting guru, was on the radio in DC this morning to talk about the McClung transfer from G'town and was asked where he thought McClung would end up. He said a ton of schools are after him, but that WF makes the most sense because he lives reasonably close, and WF has the available ships and PT. Didn't sound like he was relying on any direct sources, but apparently WF has a legit shot.

ETSU's top 5 minutes guys last year were all guards, all between 23 and 30 mpg. Boyd and Hodges had a little better size, but Williamson, Good, and Tisdale are all 6'2" or smaller, I think, so I think Forbes can sort it out and doesn't mind maybe not traditionally sized combinations -- we can reminisce about the Paul/Gray/Downey backcourt. All the ETSU guys handled the ball a lot, too, in the three/four games I watched.

Anyway, tangent. Back to recruiting. Get dudes who can play! Worry about the rest later.

Granted this only applies to next season, but it looks like DuBose is a really good rebounder for his size, as he averaged over 7 boards a game last season and had multiple double digit rebound games. Heck, those are good numbers for any height really. So you should be able to play him with two other guards and still feel pretty good about your ability to rebound. I would bet that we will not see a lot of lineups next season that have both a traditional C and PF on the court at the same time.

Evan Daniels, 247 Basketball Recruiting guru, was on the radio in DC this morning to talk about the McClung transfer from G'town and was asked where he thought McClung would end up. He said a ton of schools are after him, but that WF makes the most sense because he lives reasonably close, and WF has the available ships and PT. Didn't sound like he was relying on any direct sources, but apparently WF has a legit shot.

McClung is the real deal. I'm not too worried about his low percentages. GU played a 6-man rotation for a good portion of the year and 2 of their guards didn't really look to shoot, so McClung had to take on a lot of the scoring load by default. I'd describe him as a streaky shooter who can be a bit erratic at times, but when he's on, he is fun to watch. Very active defender as well. Would be an all-ACC type player in 21-22.

Next year may not be great record-wise, but it's really great to have hope and see what Forbes is putting into place.

It would be hilarious if Forbes comes in year one and gets us to a better KenPom ranking than Manning managed in year six with all his guys.

That's what I really want to see.

Next year may not be great record-wise, but it's really great to have hope and see what Forbes is putting into place.

It would be hilarious if Forbes comes in year one and gets us to a better KenPom ranking than Manning managed in year six with all his guys.

Agree, and wouldn't be that surprised if it happens. Better record than Danny's avg, as well

Last edited:

Yeah, that was partly why I was hoping Sarr & Brown would come back, so we could see immediate results and all feel good about the fact that Manning was a terrible coach that we have moved on from.

With Sarr & Brown gone, it'd be even better... But less likely.

As someone else pointed out - that could be part of Manning's motivation to advise these guys to leave. It would look really bad for a 13-18 team to improve to 20-11 with essentially the same roster. But if the two best players leave and the results are slightly better, that's probably even worse. At least with the former hypothetical Manning could claim he built the foundation by developing Sarr and Brown to a lesser extent.

We should be able to get both McClung and Whitt if we wanted to. If we got McClung, he’d probably only PLAY here a year and he’d go pro. He was thinking about going pro this year, right?

Whitt would be the future of the program, and Neath is a guy that should be able to play both SG and PG. Him and Childress played that way a lot last year and I liked them two together better than Childress and White or Johnson. If both Whitt and McClung wanted to come to Wake and play PG, I think both should be able to come play. It shouldn’t be an issue.

It would be Neath, Adams, Watson, Whitt, McClung, Wilkins in the backcourt and you’d have Mucius, Massoud, Ody, Tariq (and hopefully Zapala) in the frontcourt. That’s a very good basketball team that could win a lot of games. You add in another big man and a few other young players and it would be a lethal group. Obviously all hypothetical, but again, if we were able to take both McClung and Whitt, you take them. No hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back