• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BCS National Championship Game Thread

Maybe. But he hit all the crotchety white people talking points:

- Praised God
- Talked about a disabled kid
- Military reference to a family member
- Mentioned his coaches and teammates names

He definitely had some media coaching, but so does every star player. And as the self-appointed White Person Ambassador to Hip-Hop Players and Coaches, you of all people should appreciate this.

I don't have a problem with his remarks. He was cocky. WGAF, but don't pretend he wasn't.

in this thread we complain about children who play games for our entertainment

I must admit even when FSU scored with :20 left I still thought/feared Auburn was gonna find a way to win that game

I don't have a problem with his remarks. He was cocky. WGAF, but don't pretend he wasn't.

I think the exact opposite. He truly cares about Fisher's kid. You see it every game. Those two kids are brothers.

He clearly loves his family member in the military. He gave his teammates credit for lifting him.

Yeah, Clemson was completely outclassed by South Carolina. But they did beat Ohio State, so maybe it evens out?

Clemson also beat Georgia when Georgia might have been the second best team in the SEC - before all of their injuries piled up. And that same GA team beat USC the next week. (I know, one was a home game and one was away... but you take them as you play them). Comparing conferences or teams or trends, etc. based on small sample sizes is always dicey.

All that matters right now is that FSU ended the SEC's string of nattys and that makes me happy. FSU played like dog-crap for most of the game and still managed to win.

Any way you look at it, the game was awesome and entertaining!

I think the exact opposite. He truly cares about Fisher's kid. You see it every game. Those two kids are brothers.

He clearly loves his family member in the military. He gave his teammates credit for lifting him.

He can care about Fisher's kid and still be cocky. He can love his family members in the military and still be cocky. He can give his teammates credit and still be cocky. I don't care so much that he is cocky (he has every reason to be after this season), but I wouldn't suggest that he was being humble.

I'd be shocked if the first freshman who win a Heisman & national championship in the same year wasn't cocky especially 3 minutes after the game was over.

I really didn't get the cocky vibe from him. He just seemed happy. He even said how they came out and probably started off a little cocky as a team and tried to force some things, and then they adjusted and settled down. I believe he reference it as being "too big for this game".

But "cocky is cool" must be the new talking point when it comes to our star athletes, so whatever.

Maybe. But he hit all the crotchety white people talking points:

- Praised God
- Talked about a disabled kid
- Military reference to a family member
- Mentioned his coaches and teammates names

He definitely had some media coaching, but so does every star player. And as the self-appointed White Person Ambassador to Hip-Hop Players and Coaches, you of all people should appreciate this.

Plenty of black people care about those things, too.
The only thing this board loves more than bashing Bz, is calling other people racists. Some seems legit, and a very few seem to thrive on the rush of feeling morally superior when they get a chance to prove how much more socially advanced they are - even if they have to make up the "racism". (Sorry, I admit that is a comment based more on prior threads I have observed).

It has already been noted, but the kid was rushed by media and had a mic crammed in his face moments after winning the national championship in crazy fashion. He probably had a million thoughts racing through his head and mainly just wanted to take it all in with his teammates, family and coaches. Of course, he was all over the place and starting one sentence before finishing the prior. I think he is actually a very sophisticated speaker. You don't look away when he is talking and you want to know what he will say next (insert joke that you want to know what he just said). He grabs your attention. It is no wonder he was able to step in as a Frosh and lead the team.

This is why it is a shame that "well-spoken" has taken on the racial association. There are plenty of reasons why a nervous/excited young kid of any race, distracted by the pressure of a big game, might stumble a bit when peering into the window of a camera facing millions of viewers on the other side. Being well-spoken can be relative to the circumstances, not just someone's view of your race. Now, you have to be careful (if that kid is not white and you are) how you give him/her credit for handling the situation well. Or just ignore that he/she did a good job despite those challenges.

Plenty of black people care about those things, too.
The only thing this board loves more than bashing Bz, is calling other people racists. Some seems legit, and a very few seem to thrive on the rush of feeling morally superior when they get a chance to prove how much more socially advanced they are - even if they have to make up the "racism". (Sorry, I admit that is a comment based more on prior threads I have observed).

It has already been noted, but the kid was rushed by media and had a mic crammed in his face moments after winning the national championship in crazy fashion. He probably had a million thoughts racing through his head and mainly just wanted to take it all in with his teammates, family and coaches. Of course, he was all over the place and starting one sentence before finishing the prior. I think he is actually a very sophisticated speaker. You don't look away when he is talking and you want to know what he will say next (insert joke that you want to know what he just said). He grabs your attention. It is no wonder he was able to step in as a Frosh and lead the team.

This is why it is a shame that "well-spoken" has taken on the racial association. There are plenty of reasons why a nervous/excited young kid of any race, distracted by the pressure of a big game, might stumble a bit when peering into the window of a camera facing millions of viewers on the other side. Being well-spoken can be relative to the circumstances, not just someone's view of your race. Now, you have to be careful (if that kid is not white and you are) how you give him/her credit for handling the situation well. Or just ignore that he/she did a good job despite those challenges.

There is a racial component to it in some circles. Tim Tebow always sounded like a complete moron (Winston did not sound unintelligent) in interviews, and you didn't see random players' moms on social media about it.

Tobacco, why is it some other people didn't understand the situation as well as you did. Keep in mind, people are being called out for criticizing Winston despite everything you point out.

Absolutely, there is a racial component there. No doubt. Sorry, if I was not clear in acknowledging that. Just saying it is a shame it is that way. Shame that we are still stuck there as a society and shame you can't do something as simple as giving a young kid credit for a job well done. But, yes, plenty of real and repeated examples have made it that way.

Last edited:
PH, not sure. Might be as simple as people who have never been in that situation not taking the time to fully appreciate the context of the situation, and rather just going with the simpler and more self-serving option of bashing a rival? It might be that, reinforced by by his comments being influenced by a dialect they do not share, similar to a deep southern accent.
You asked a pretty big question there. There are a million different reasons why people view things they way they do based on their life's worth of experience. Is there something more specific you are really asking?

I was just trolling DF07 by making points he would be making, if he was on the other side of the argument. I'm not sure if you could tell from the Hip-Hop Coaches comment, but I wasn't exactly being serious. I'm generally someone who rolls their eyes at people forcing race into every discussion.

I do however 100% believe what I said about Winston. He didn't seem cocky and gave a great and candid interview. He seem sincere, excited and yes, a little humbled.

Last edited:
Understood, Brasky. I obviously don't know everyone's posting tendencies and didn't appreciate the context there. Thanks for clarifying.

I'd be shocked if the first freshman who win a Heisman & national championship in the same year wasn't cocky especially 3 minutes after the game was over.

2014-January-7-0-20-55.jpg

Tre Mason apologizes to Auburn fans for losing the game, even though he ran for 195 yards and was probably the best player on the field last night, including Jameis.

Right now I just feel like I let the whole Auburn family down by not finishing. We told them we’d have the biggest turnaround in college football, and the biggest turnaround would be winning that crystal ball. We owed them that because of the season last year. I just want them to know that I gave it all I got, but I still feel like I let them down.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-fans-letting-them-down-065334551--ncaaf.html

It's probably his fault for beasting that 37 yard touchdown run instead of breaking it into 3 12ish yard runs.

Back