• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Besides Wake, what is the best school that accepted you?

Interesting thread. Good memories. Only applied to Wake and that was before the days of early decision. Dad said I could go anywhere I wanted as long as it was a good school…………. but that he'd pay my way at Wake! Easy decision!! And well kind of early also as I recently saw found a pic of me on campus in '44. :) Then Willy Hildebrand offered me a "huge" scholly to play ball -- room and board during preseason practice. :) Second good decision was turning down chance to be blocking dummy……..

Prior to transfer:

tOSU: Accepted
Wake: Accepted
UTenn: Accepted
AppSt: Accepted

Now that I'm transferring...

Clemson: Accepted
tOSU: Waiting to hear
NCSU: Waiting to hear

You can count one school out I suppose.

I thought of Wake as a "Stretch" to get into because my high school guidance councilors sucked and really nobody from my HS ever applied to Wake either due to money or shitty academic performance. (I was one of two in the past 10 years to attend.) Now that they've decided I'm middle-class enough to not need scholarships, they've eliminated me from their financial aid and I can't afford it.

Sooooo, off to public school I go. At least the basketball won't be as sad to watch.

Last edited:
Prior to transfer:

tOSU: Accepted
Wake: Accepted
UTenn: Accepted
AppSt: Accepted

Now that I'm transferring...

Clemson: Accepted
tOSU: Waiting to hear
NCSU: Waiting to hear

You can count one school out I suppose.

Just go to Clemson....the other transfer targets suck.

So Wake is pretty different than every other school you applied to. Probably should have been a sign.

Well, yes. But as a high schooler who grew up as a Wake fan and targeted Wake as a "dream" school, I wasn't really thinking about that.

I wasn't happy at Wake (for a lot of personal reasons), but even if I WANTED to go back I wouldn't be able to.

Just go to Clemson....the other transfer targets suck.

Yeah, my parents said that too.

It's also probably worth noting that I've personally run into two other students also being forced out of Wake due to financial aid cutbacks. They're tearing the middle class kids new ones.

It's also probably worth noting that I've personally run into two other students also being forced out of Wake due to financial aid cutbacks. They're tearing the middle class kids new ones.

That's what happened to me too. We weren't broke enough to get a lot of money and not rich enough to really afford it. So my parents sacrificed to get me through. It didn't help I had an older brother that had just finished at UNC a few years earlier and a sister in undergrad at the time I was starting at Wake.

That's what happened to me too. We weren't broke enough to get a lot of money and not rich enough to really afford it. So my parents sacrificed to get me through. It didn't help I had an older brother that had just finished at UNC a few years earlier and a sister in undergrad at the time I was starting at Wake.

I had $43,000/year in pure scholarships when I entered. Next semester, they expected me to pay over $26,000. I don't think I really had anything left lol.

When almost any school's out of state tuition is cheaper than your tuition, thats when you know you're doing something wrong.

That sucks, and I'm really sorry to hear that. Not surprised, though. I can't tell you how many kids Wake misses out on. It's unfortunate.

Did Wake early decision in 1995 (I don't think they do that anymore?) so only other acceptance was UF. I didn't follow up on my apps with the other decently ranked schools.

I had $43,000/year in pure scholarships when I entered. Next semester, they expected me to pay over $26,000. I don't think I really had anything left lol.

When almost any school's out of state tuition is cheaper than your tuition, thats when you know you're doing something wrong.

That sucks. Sorry to hear man.

I didn't grow up with any money. Seriously, when I applied I think tuition room and board was just under $30k. After scholarships and aid Wake was about $8 a year. That was a no decision at the time. Same for Duke. That was more than either parent made in a year at that time!

Had a great time at Wake, partner in a great company today, great family life. I'm sure Harvard grads on the whole have wonderful careers, but I'd put mine up against most anyone in the same graduating class at Harvard.

I didn't apply to very many schools, so NYU is probably the best one. Sooooo f-ing glad I didn't go there though.

I only applied to Wake and to UNC. Got into both.

Loved my time at Wake, but I freely admit if I were faced with the cost of it now, I would be stupid to not go to UNC. It was much closer in cost to UNC when I started Wake back in 1991. (Not THAT close mind you, but it was something like 10,800 tuition at Wake versus 3500 at UNC or something like that.)

Back