• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Besides Wake, what is the best school that accepted you?

duke- waitlisted
unc- accepted
ncsu- accepted

carolina was my safety school, but after a couple friends got waitlisted there (after applying early decision) my mom freaked out and suggested i apply to ncsu as a real safety school (since they did rolling admission, at least when i applied). turned in that application and was accepted/offered some decent $ about a week later.

duke- waitlisted
unc- accepted
ncsu- accepted

carolina was my safety school, but after a couple friends got waitlisted there (after applying early decision) my mom freaked out and suggested i apply to ncsu as a real safety school (since they did rolling admission, at least when i applied). turned in that application and was accepted/offered some decent $ about a week later.

I could have saved about 80k if I had gone to State, but then I wouldn't have gotten my Mrs degree.

Accepted: Wake, Furman, Clemson, Washington and Lee
Wait List: Duke and Vandy.

only applied to Wake and UNC-CH. Accepted to both. Wake wanted me more, and by the time I got through the scholarship process the out of pocket cost was the same.

Va resident. Accepted at JMU (safety), and Wm & Mary, but "whoa no! William and Mary won't do." Every one seemed sad there, and constantly reading.

My guidance counselor was really pushing Washington and Lee - like he got a commission or something.

Va resident. Accepted at JMU (safety), and Wm & Mary, but "whoa no! William and Mary won't do." Every one seemed sad there, and constantly reading.

My guidance counselor was really pushing Washington and Lee - like he got a commission or something.

i think it's weird when counselors start pushing a particular school like that. it's one thing if they just want you to think outside of the typical schools, but still kind of weird.

Got accepted to Wake, Johns Hopkins and Bucknell. Ultimately chose Wake because of ACC athletics, plus the fact that I didn't want to live in motherfucking Baltimore. Bucknell was my safety school. Just in case I found out that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.

Other than Wake:

Davidson - accepted
NYU - accepted
Tulane - accepted
SMU - accepted with half scholly
Vandy - wait listed

Finished but didn't send in the application, but would have been a 100% lock to Navy (some pretty substantial connections). Would have made my dad very happy and save a lot of money.

Other than Wake:

Davidson - accepted
NYU - accepted
Tulane - accepted
SMU - accepted with half scholly
Vandy - wait listed

Finished but didn't send in the application, but would have been a 100% lock to Navy (some pretty substantial connections). Would have made my dad very happy and save a lot of money.

Every so often I kind of wish I'd thought about the Academy.

Passed on a full ride to Notre Dame to go to Wake.

As a kid who spent grades 1-12 in Catholic schools in the Midwest, that wasn't an easy thing to do.

That was also when Wake was still a US News and World Reports Best Buy. Not sure I could make the same decision now.

A lot of students today apply to seven or more schools, whereas back in the day it was customary to apply to three. I wonder if they are fearful of not getting in or if they just want to brag about getting in a lot of places. The fact of the matter is that they swamp themselves with application work. Even with the Common App being used, that's a lot of knives in the air. Who wants that their senior year?!

A lot of students today apply to seven or more schools, whereas back in the day it was customary to apply to three. I wonder if they are fearful of not getting in or if they just want to brag about getting in a lot of places. The fact of the matter is that they swamp themselves with application work. Even with the Common App being used, that's a lot of knives in the air. Who wants that their senior year?!

at least when i was applying (almost 10 (!!!!) years ago), the common app really wasn't all that commonly accepted at schools i was interested in attending. maybe this has changed now.

either that or it was a 'use the common app or use ours (but really we are judging you if you just cut corners and use the common app)'.

Wake, Duke, GaTech. U of Delaware as a fallback position

Looked at Duke, Davidson, Wake, UNC. After visits were made I only applied to Wake and UNC. When I didn't get the Morehead it was pretty clear in my mind I was going to Wake. So when I got accepted I took it. Unlike some of the others above, I got little of anything from MSD and I cost my parents a lot of extra loot. We are not wealthy, but had enough that MSD thought we could pay and I wasn't sharp enough to get any academic loot.

Back