• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Besides Wake, what is the best school that accepted you?

Georgetown: Accepted (with a nice financial aid package)
Harvard: Waitlisted
UNC: Accpeted
NC State: Accepted
App State: Accepted

I wonder how many people apply to both Harvard and App on a yearly basis? That has to be a small number.

UNC - accepted
Richmond - accepted
William & Mary - accepted

would have gone to UNC had Wake not worked out and I think I would have enjoyed it there, sports aside (was born and will die a Deac). regret not visiting/applying to Vandy and some of the DC schools but they weren't on my radar for some reason.

UVA from out of state. Our valedictorian who was better than me in every way didn't get in, I got in because of legacy.

Vanderbilt: Accepted
Notre Dame: Accepted

These are the schools I see as similar or better than Wake.

Dartmouth: Waitlisted (never visited just applied on a whim)
UVA: Accepted (dad and uncle, and now two brothers, are alums)
Richmond: Accepted (mom is alum)
VTech: Accepted (never wanted to go there, but safety first!)

Literally the night before I had to send in my acceptance I was torn between UVA and Wake. I grew up a big UVA fan due to family influences, but in the end I wanted to go to a school where I was the only one from my graduating class going vs. going with 25-30 people I went to HS with.

So a realistic list of Wake's peers would be more like:

UNC, UVA, William & Mary, Richmond, Georgetown, Duke, Vandy, Emory, Davidson

UVA- waitlisted, but they called me at the last minute to offer me a spot and I got to tell them "no thanks"

UVA- waitlisted, but they called me at the last minute to offer me a spot and I got to tell them "no thanks"

I did the same thing to Davidson, they "lost" one of my teacher's evaluations and just came off as a cluster.

Waitlisted at Cornell and Dartmouth (Dartmouth was my early admin)

Accepted at UVA

Rejected from Princeton

Wake was my targeted, safe school.

Backup safeties: Accepted at Wofford and Georgia (haha).

Wish I had looked more at Vandy. I did look at UNC and Puke, hated both.

Got accepted to Wake, GT, Vandy and NCSU out of HS. Rejected by VT (strange)

Went to GT and hated it. Made my way back to Wake.

Last edited:
Same.

I had my apps for NCSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech ready to go since the postmark date was the same as Wake's announcement date.

I had half-filled applications for Davidson, Miami (FL), UNC, UF, and Emory and had been worrying about finishing them all in time. Then my Wake letter came so those promptly went in the trash. The day before I received it my dad told me that back in his day you hoped you got a thick envelope from a school vs a thin since it meant you were in. Well, sure enough my Wake one was thin (just a letter and some card to fill out). I was freaking out while holding it, remembering what he said.

Lehigh
UConn
Penn State
UNLV (full ride)
University of Washington
University of Florida (this was hard to turn down)
Brown (wait listed)
UNC - rejected (dad's an alum but I was out of state)
Vandy - rejected

Colby - yes
St. Lawrence - yes
UMd (honors) - yes
Wake -got in off the wait list
W&M - no chance in hell, but applied anyway

I had half-filled applications for Davidson, Miami (FL), UNC, UF, and Emory and had been worrying about finishing them all in time. Then my Wake letter came so those promptly went in the trash. The day before I received it my dad told me that back in his day you hoped you got a thick envelope from a school vs a thin since it meant you were in. Well, sure enough my Wake one was thin (just a letter and some card to fill out). I was freaking out while holding it, remembering what he said.

I got the classic letter size envelope rejection letters and huge acceptance packets.

Only applied to Wake, Davidson and Carolina (safety school). Accepted at all three (letters received in order: UNC, Davidson, Wake). When the Wake letter came I think I responded yes the same day.

Stanford: rejected
Georgetown: waitlisted

Never understood the Gtown one, as my father was also an alum and we held the Tampa alumni parties a couple times. Probably would have gone there if accepted and then law school so happy it worked out as it did. Included a mention of the schools where tennis helped me get in.

Definitely surprising. They slob all over kids of alums.

Hadn't thought about this topic in a while.

Georgetown: Accepted
BC: Accepted
Wake: Accepted
Pitt: Accepted
Richmond: Accepted
ND: Rejected
Duke: Rejected
UNC (OOS): Rejected

In retrospect, I should have applied to more big southern universities and at least taken some visits.

Back