• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best 3pt shooter all-time (Monday JR Reid)

JR Reid is doing work for the theACC.com. Supposedly he'll post his list there on Monday.

And the clarify, the question was not who was the 'best' but who is on the list of best ACC 3pt shooters.

Only one I can think of was over UNC in 2000 on Friday. We lost to Duke on Saturday. That UNC team then went to the final four from an 8 or 9 seed.

Randolph was super streaky. I don't think of him as a great shooter although when he got hot, he was darn near unstoppable. I think people forget Randolph was able to get to the line a ton and collect a lot of free points there.

I could be wrong but I think Chill is in the top 5 of all time ACC 3 pointers (I know he was when he graduated). You don't do that without being a great shooter.

I hated him at Duke, but I can't see how anyone was ever better than JJ Redick.

You may have not been old enough to see Dennis Scott play at GT.

Scott shot a higher percentage and took deepr shots than JJ.

There are plenty of guys that are at least in the same league as Redick. However, not many of them had the advantage of playing in an offense that centered around the three point line. K basically built his game plan around the fact that JJ could knock down open shots. Unfortunately for a lot of guys they did not play for a coach as smart as K.

There was a game against Carolina in Atlanta where he was draining shots two steps across half court. It was unreal.

I don't remember Scott in college, I only remember him as part of the Orlando Magic.

Dennis Scott was a better shooter than Reddick. Scott had unbelievable range.

JJ Redick was a huge choker in big games.

But if you want to drill a 3 to take a 15 point lead to 18, he's your guy.

3pt %

1. McClinton - 44%
2. Monroe - 43.57%
3. H. Davis - 43.48%
4. LaRue - 43.26%
5. A. Miller - 42.88%

19. Redick - 40.58%

- Childress 39.5% below top 25

3pt fg made (attempted)
1. Redick 457 (1,126)
2. Staples 413 (1,079)
3. Scott 351 (831) only 3 years I believe
4. Langdon 342 (802)
5. Childress 329 (832)

7. J. Gray 319 (860)
11. O'Kelley 288 (801)

Lulz, still at it after all these years I see. But you're right, RC's 3 pt shooting was what made the 96 ACC championship possible.

George McCloud never played in the ACC.

I did forget about Rodney Monroe. If I had to name the 3 best three point shooters I have ever seen play in the ACC I would go:

1. Dennis Scott
2. Rodney 'Ice' Monroe
3. Curtis Staples

JJ was a product of Duke, a great shooter, but not comparable to the talent of the above three in my opinion. This might be my Duke hatred overtaking me, but I certainly can't go wrong with the three above. Staples release was so quick...probably the fastest shot I have ever seen from catch to release.

Last edited:
Back